PDA

View Full Version : Tour App no longer available through App Store

SteveV0983
06-28-2016, 05:42 PM
We cut the cable chord years ago and I typically buy the Tour App through the App Store so I can watch it whenever I want. Last night I looked and saw that my NBC Sports App had an update available that called it NBC Sports Gold and said it included the Tour so I downloaded it, but it kept asking me to log in. Make a long story short, after a few emails back and forth I found that this is going to be the only way to watch the tour, you can't purchase it through the App Store (you have to purchase it by credit card through NBC Sports) and they want $30.00! It does include other races, but $30.00 seems awfully high to me. Good ol' Comcast trying even harder to keep their reputation as one of the most hated companies in the country.
Hopefully someone found out otherwise, but this looks to me like the way they are going.

p nut
06-28-2016, 05:52 PM
That's what I saw this morning, when I checked. But $30 isn't that bad. Considering I watched some crappy movies at a rate of $8/hr, this is a bargain. If I were that into the Tour, I'd buy it.

SteveV0983
06-28-2016, 06:09 PM
I guess I just happen to disagree. The Tour used to be $14.99, then it went to $20.00 and now $30.00. Even if it does include additional content, I still think it's too much. But I'll probably be in the minority, it will be a big hit, and next year it will be $40.00. Oh well....

stephenmarklay
06-28-2016, 09:44 PM
So they are not going to air it on NBCsports?

regularguy412
06-28-2016, 09:49 PM
So they are not going to air it on NBCsports?

Looks like this was just posted today.

Mike in AR:beer:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/NBC-Sports-to-Present-Live-Coverage-of-103rd-TOUR-DE-FRANCE-Beg-72-20160628

bicycletricycle
06-28-2016, 09:51 PM
30 dollars doesn't seem that bad to me. Ask boxing fans

F1 is only available online if you already have cable. Why would I want to watch it online if I had cable!!!!!!

stephenmarklay
06-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Looks like this was just posted today.

Mike in AR:beer:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/NBC-Sports-to-Present-Live-Coverage-of-103rd-TOUR-DE-FRANCE-Beg-72-20160628

Nice.

LJohnny
06-28-2016, 10:15 PM
It includes TdF, PR, La Vuelta, Paris-Nice and they say, a total of 15 races. It is supposed to work as a one year subscription. I got it. For me it is well worth it. When I take the kids to the pool, that takes the edge of missing some stages on the TV.
In previous years, if you wanted the live streaming wasn't it like $20, just for TdF?

adub
06-28-2016, 10:18 PM
$1.42/stage. I'd bite!

stephenmarklay
06-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Does the app allow replays? I am wondering if I should just DVR it.

LJohnny
06-28-2016, 10:35 PM
It has in the past years, so I would presume, yes.

kramnnim
06-28-2016, 11:44 PM
Torguard+Eurosport Player, no Phil and Paul.

Gfi3
06-30-2016, 08:01 AM
It was there yesterday - but now it's gone? I was ready to throw down the $30

p nut
06-30-2016, 08:15 AM
It was there yesterday - but now it's gone? I was ready to throw down the $30

It's there. Just get the NBC sport app.

bart998
06-30-2016, 09:58 AM
If your cable company carries NBC Sports then you can log onto the NBC Sports website to watch... no extra charge. I do this because I often find myself on vacation during Tour time.

makoti
06-30-2016, 09:59 AM
Torguard+Eurosport Player, no Phil and Paul.

Because I'm lazy, how much is that combo? Less than $30?

LJohnny
06-30-2016, 10:46 AM
If your cable company carries NBC Sports then you can log onto the NBC Sports website to watch... no extra charge. I do this because I often find myself on vacation during Tour time.

Are you sure of this? I ask because in past years it would stream on their own TDF app...

Edit: I do stream other sports on that app, but again I thought TDF requires its own app in past years
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank_h
06-30-2016, 10:52 AM
For past several years, we've just used Tunnel bear and ITV.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/
http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance

Airs on ITV4 and has an on-demand replay (this is free). TB VPN is 6.99 for the month.

So for under $7 you get full tour coverage, and like stated above, sans the US commentators. It's a win-win all around.

LJohnny
06-30-2016, 10:59 AM

Are you sure of this? I ask because in past years it would stream on their own TDF app...

Edit: I do stream other sports on that app, but again I thought TDF requires its own app in past years

So I just opened the NBC Sports app and TDF is indeed listed for Saturday morning. Ha! That is great indeed. I guess no need to get the other app then!

unterhausen
06-30-2016, 12:51 PM
that's good, I was starting to worry I wouldn't be able to stream it using the app. Got to get it set up downstairs, my family isn't a big fan of bike racing

Gfi3
07-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Still a shame that we cannot just get the same app as last year. The streaming from NBC is nice but I enjoyed the route profiles, stats, live gps trackers and all the other extras. Doesn't seem like I can get any of that through NBC sports.

LJohnny
07-01-2016, 06:06 AM
Also, another thing is that there are no stage replays with NBC Sport Extra.

stephenmarklay
07-01-2016, 06:20 AM
I think I am going to go down to my cable company today and get a DVR. I don’t have one since I rarely watch TV in the summer. Anyway then I can watch it whenever.

Hank Scorpio
07-01-2016, 06:25 AM
My NBC sports channel on Roku isn't even listing the first stage as available. They have coverage starting on Sunday with stage 2.

Onno
07-01-2016, 07:29 AM
I purchased the NBC Sports Gold app two days ago, and that is covering the Tour (as well as the Vuelta). They say it is coming to Roku. Not sure if the NBC Sports app on Roku connects to it....

hooter
07-01-2016, 09:39 AM
I purchased the NBC Sports Gold app two days ago, and that is covering the Tour (as well as the Vuelta). They say it is coming to Roku. Not sure if the NBC Sports app on Roku connects to it....

I sent them an email and got a reply saying that the app would be on Roku before the Tour starts. I just checked and the NBC Sports Gold app is on Roku's channel page now. :banana:

saab2000
07-01-2016, 09:43 AM
I sent them an email and got a reply saying that the app would be on Roku before the Tour starts. I just checked and the NBC Sports Gold app is on Roku's channel page now. :banana:

Sweet. Does this require a cable subscription? Or can the Tour be purchased as a stand alone app?

hooter
07-01-2016, 09:46 AM
No cable subscription required, it's a stand alone app.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

harlond
07-02-2016, 08:44 AM
For past several years, we've just used Tunnel bear and ITV.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/
http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance

Airs on ITV4 and has an on-demand replay (this is free). TB VPN is 6.99 for the month.

So for under $7 you get full tour coverage, and like stated above, sans the US commentators. It's a win-win all around.Do you need a specific app for the ITV part. I got TB and clicked the link, but that doesn't work for me and I can't download the ITV Hub app either.

Mzilliox
07-02-2016, 09:22 AM
i hate technology. i just bought the gold app since they aren't showing it on regular NBC supports, and now the gold app won't show as available on my apple TV, lame. not sure how to get the app on my apple TV, as in the past they have just magically shown up...

SteveV0983
07-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Has anyone actually purchased the NBC Sports Gold App to watch it specifically on an iPad? And does it definitely include full stage video replays anytime you want to watch them like it did in the past? I cannot watch it while it is live and just like to catch up on it at night whenever it's convenient for me, but I don't trust that this feature is still there without someone confirming it.

Mzilliox
07-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Has anyone actually purchased the NBC Sports Gold App to watch it? And does it definitely include full stage video replays anytime you want to watch them like it did in the past? I cannot watch it while it is live and just like to catch up on it at night whenever it's convenient for me, but I don't trust that this feature is still there without someone confirming it.

i'll let you know if i can ever get it to work on my apple TV

SteveV0983
07-02-2016, 10:45 AM
That sucks that you can't get it to work. I noticed that inside the iPad app it says that Apple TV needs to be Gen 4. Do you have an earlier version?

sitzmark
07-02-2016, 11:00 AM
Gold app airplays to ATV3 but is not a "channel". I suspect it is a downloadable app on ATV4 - don't know for sure since I haven't upgraded any of my ATVs.

Gold organized same as prior year Tour apps - stage vids are up, but not full replay yet.

frank_h
07-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Do you need a specific app for the ITV part. I got TB and clicked the link, but that doesn't work for me and I can't download the ITV Hub app either.

Nope.

Set your tunnelbear to UK server. Then go to itv and if you select the main page you can get through to the TdF episodes. (And many others), after setting up a free user account. I think you might need to put in a UK postal code (Google one quick) and done. I forgot about the free account since we use chrome auto login.

We just finished watching stage one.

SteveV0983
07-02-2016, 10:40 PM
So the NBC Sports Gold site is now offering a free preview until Monday night so I tried it. On my iPad, the full stage replay and the pre-tour show video works but none of the other dozen or so videos will play. They just keep saying that that stream is not available. Guess I'll see if they fix it by Monday night. I wonder if they either had too few subscribers or too many problems that prompted them to offer a free trial.

LJohnny
07-04-2016, 07:10 AM
I am not getting the vid feed for today's stage on the gold app. Oddly the video is up and running fine on the nbc extra app...

Anyone else with this issue?

hooter
07-04-2016, 07:29 AM
For some reason they had posted that the live feed would not start until 8:10 this morning. I'm watching it live on Gold right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sitzmark
07-04-2016, 07:50 AM
I am not getting the vid feed for today's stage on the gold app. Oddly the video is up and running fine on the nbc extra app...

Anyone else with this issue?

Yes. Gave up on Gold, but going back to check now. Figured 8:30ish might be next logical broadcast time. Didn't check NBCExt.

LJohnny
07-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Yeah it started at 8:10

I have to say that their customer service IS responsive. I wrote to inquire and they replied right away saying that the GOLD feed was not made available to them from TdF until 8:10 today... Weird as the Extra feed was on earlier.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Yeah it started at 8:10

I have to say that their customer service IS responsive. I wrote to inquire and they replied right away saying that the GOLD feed was not made available to them from TdF until 8:10 today... Weird as the Extra feed was on earlier.

here..and if ya got Apple TV..blast it to yer TV

http://tiz-cycling.racing/live-stream

LJohnny
07-04-2016, 08:46 AM
here..and if ya got Apple TV..blast it to yer TV

http://tiz-cycling.racing/live-stream

Ha! Thanks Peter!