PDA

View Full Version : Bibs - Rapha Core or Eleven Velo Pivots

Sean Mac
06-28-2016, 03:45 PM
I'm in the market for a new pair of bibs. Please help me to make a decision on which bib represents the best value.

With the Rapha 20% discount sitting in my inbox, this seems like a good time to give Rapha's bibs a try. I've read a lot of good comments about the classic bibs. However, even with the discount, they are still a bit more than I would like to spend. There has not been as much written about the new Core bibs, but at $120 (after the discount) these seem to offer a pretty high level of performance at a price point that I can live with.

I've also had my eye on the products made by Eleven Velo. Their Pivot Bibs come in at just a few dollars more than the Core bibs. I'm a fan of wool / wool blends. Over the years I've worn a variety of Ibex tops and bottoms, and have two Rapha classic jerseys that I really like. To me, based simply on what I have read on various websites, Eleven Velo seems similar to Ibex, but a bit more refined and, obviously, more focused on cycling products.

I would be grateful if anyone can make a comparison of the Rapha Core bibs vs. the Eleven Velo Pivot bibs. Specifically, I am interested in learning about any differences in the quality of construction, materials and comfort of these bibs. Obviously, the bibs are made with different fabrics. Given that, which would give me the best bang for my buck?

Thanks for your comments.

bcroslin
06-28-2016, 03:51 PM
I would spend the extra for the Rapha light weight bibs or even the pro team. The core bibs are just ok. The chamois is great but the leg grippers are terrible.

R3awak3n
06-28-2016, 04:05 PM
I about pulled the plug on the cores, absolutely love the classics but was told the core fits different and not as nice (I expect this since less moneys). I will get another classic.

pdmtong
06-28-2016, 04:25 PM
FWIW I have four seasons on a classic (400+ rides) and they are not fraying or or butt worn see through. pad is still good for 10,000/100 day.

yes they were "expensive" but they have lasted way longer than I expected.

5'10" 170#s rec rider.

so if you look at it over time, IMHO they are priced pretty reasonably