PDA

View Full Version : Why?

weisan
06-28-2016, 08:12 AM
...do some of us automatically...almost robotically, revert to this type of thinking?

"Hey guys, look at this interesting paint scheme on a Landshark..."
response: This is no Pegoretti.

"Hey guys, look at the awesome participants of the Tour Divide or Trans Am..."
response: They are no Pro Tour riders.

"Hey guys, check out the new Dura Ace..."

response: It's no C-A-M-P-A-G-N-O-L-O.

FlashUNC
06-28-2016, 08:13 AM
This is no VW buyback thread.

Sierra
06-28-2016, 08:14 AM
I'm with you on the top two examples. As for the third, Campagnolo is sacred.

cdn_bacon
06-28-2016, 08:30 AM
easy to judge from one side of a computer monitor?

soulspinner
06-28-2016, 08:31 AM
i'm with you on the top two examples. As for the third, campagnolo is sacred.

+100

Sierra
06-28-2016, 08:38 AM
+100

You forgot to Capitalize: Campagnolo.

There. Do it again.

Lewis Moon
06-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Tribalism, contrarianism, self aggrandizement, iArrogance, building oneself up by tearing others down....

The human condition magnified by the internet?

Tickdoc
06-28-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry, but your lack of Campy loyalty is negated by the fact that you own an MX leader, so your argument is invalid :banana:

CampyorBust
06-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Programming, peer pressure, cynical bastid-ism, pusillanimity. Cuz...

"interesting" is in the eye of the beholder (Cosby sweaters are wack)

Got nuthin (agreed)

Shimano like Bushwood sux (sarcasm)

Blaspheme not against Campagnolo (unless Potenza in which case light criticism followed by buckets of praise and worship are allowed).

rustychisel
06-28-2016, 09:11 AM
Our American members may not want to read this, but part of the issue might be the 'determination of excellence'... as a general rule US citizens are likely to claim to know 'the best' or 'the greatest', rather than a simple claim of quality.

Look back over old threads: from bacon to maple syrup to bicycle frames to the worlds' best country, or greatest democracy. The characteristic is the declarative statement. It's so common I think it almost qualifies as part of the national psyche; I first became aware of it many years ago with a friend (a native of New Orleans) who claimed it with respect to a certain brand of chili sauce. Given how many chili sauces there are - and how often he claimed it - it struck me as a little odd.

Sierra
06-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Our American members may not want to read this, but part of the issue might be the 'determination of excellence'... as a general rule US citizens are likely to claim to know 'the best' or 'the greatest', rather than a simple claim of quality.

Look back over old threads: from bacon to maple syrup to bicycle frames to the worlds' best country, or greatest democracy. The characteristic is the declarative statement. It's so common I think it almost qualifies as part of the national psyche; I first became aware of it many years ago with a friend (a native of New Orleans) who claimed it with respect to a certain brand of chili sauce. Given how many chili sauces there are - and how often he claimed it - it struck me as a little odd.

This is formally known as: American Exceptionalism. We seem to be indulging in an inordinate amount of this kind of overweening pride here in the states this election season. In case you had not noticed. ;)

You know what they say about, pride.

rustychisel
06-28-2016, 09:24 AM
This is formally known as: American Exceptionalism
[/I].

Is it?

Exceptional. I had no idea it warranted a term of it's own, so I invented one. Thanks, more research required.

A quick read later: ah, yes, I see. I can see the ideological root concept and how the idea of relative greatness might be extrapolated from that, but to transfer it to simple things like, err, chili sauce? It's weird I tells ya.

Anyway, the concept as espoused by people like de Tocqueville runs along similar lines of manifest destiny, definitely not a uniquely American feature. When it comes to being uppity, we here in South Australia occasionally have to remind others states (and poms trying to score cheap points) that our colony was the only one in Australia not founded by convicts.

Sierra
06-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Is it?

Exceptional. I had no idea it warranted a term of it's own, so I invented one. Thanks, more research required.

A quick read later: ah, yes, I see. I can see the ideological root concept and how the idea of relative greatness might be extrapolated from that, but to transfer it to simple things like, err, chili sauce? It's weird I tells ya.

Anyway, the concept as espoused by people like de Tocqueville runs along similar lines of manifest destiny, definitely not a uniquely American feature. When it comes to being uppity, we here in South Australia occasionally have to remind others states (and poms trying to score cheap points) that our colony was the only one in Australia not founded by convicts.

Yes. All sorts of perversions flow out of the American species of this kind of hubris.

berserk87
06-28-2016, 10:40 AM
...do some of us automatically...almost robotically, revert to this type of thinking?

This is no answer, but some people find it easier to be critical than to offer their own insight. It's easier to dismiss someone else's idea than to be the original presenter of an idea or topic.

steamer
06-28-2016, 10:40 AM
In some cases it's jealousy. In others tribalism. In others, it's just something to say.

William
06-28-2016, 10:44 AM
I think some people just find it more satisfying to poop in someone else's yard rather than keep it to themselves.

William

ptourkin
06-28-2016, 11:32 AM
This is no VW buyback thread.

Drop the mic. This thread is over.

jwess1234
06-28-2016, 11:44 AM

Good question? Nothing pleasant about reading those type of responses. Appreciating things for what they are probably makes one happier overall.

cadence90
06-28-2016, 01:32 PM
tl;dr
i.e. the easy, lazy "answer" to everything. :rolleyes:

oldpotatoe
06-28-2016, 02:40 PM
You use clinchers too, Nancy-San :D:o:D:eek::rolleyes:

weisan
06-28-2016, 02:48 PM
You use clinchers too, Nancy-San :D:o:D:eek::rolleyes:

OKAY, OLD PAL, THAT DOES IT!!!

I am coming over to your house right now!

....and I am not leaving until I had a week-long cycling vacation riding around Boulder and the great state of Colorado. :hello::banana::D

Ronsonic
06-28-2016, 08:57 PM

Even we notice it. Everything either "sucks" or is "awesome." No middle ground, no "these are all pretty damn good, but people have differing preferences;" all you get are two grades: awesome and sucks.

Not all of us are like that, but enough to notice and enough to make one wonder what it must be to live in that world where all things are so divided.

Tickdoc
06-28-2016, 09:21 PM
OKAY, OLD PAL, THAT DOES IT!!!

I am coming over to your house right now!

....and I am not leaving until I had a week-long cycling vacation riding around Boulder and the great state of Colorado. :hello::banana::D

I'll be there sept 9-12 for the boulder classic, come along for the ride, weisan-pal!

jlwdm
06-28-2016, 09:42 PM

Good point. I know I do it. I will try to be better.

A good example is there are lots of great bikes in the world. No best bike in the world. I have a few great bikes for me because they fit me.

Chili sauce? Not something I use so not sure if there is a best chili sauce.

Jeff

mg2ride
06-29-2016, 08:27 AM

Since this thread fits clearly into that mold, maybe you should seek for the answer from within.

Jus Sayin:D

bcroslin
06-29-2016, 08:34 AM
haters gotta hate....