PDA

View Full Version : Another F#$%ing Tour Thread - Silver Lining

Jason E
06-30-2006, 06:24 AM
I read about basso, Mancebo, and Ullrich and was very upset, but then it occiured to me, now that we are not expecting it, perhaps it will be a FANTASTIC race. Wide open! All Bets and strategy is out the window ('cept now Discovery has a chance)

bostondrunk
06-30-2006, 06:29 AM
there is no race without the jan.

dbrk
06-30-2006, 06:31 AM

Drunk is right because it won't be about who is in the race or who won the race but rather who did not race.

But I will be there on Thursday and, well, they can call on us for entertainment! I'll be the fat guy in the Rapha jersey...

dbrk

Fat Robert
06-30-2006, 06:32 AM
yet there is a jan without the race

maybe he and basso will stage a pizza eating contest on pay per view

Elefantino
06-30-2006, 06:32 AM

There were a few guys missing from the ’99 Tour, too.

GoJavs
06-30-2006, 06:48 AM
This is the perfect time for a Tour-saviour to appear. Maybe Valverde? I think the Tour's going to be fantastic. It will be anarchy. Who's the favorite now? Landis? Wow...

Too Tall
06-30-2006, 06:49 AM
Late entry...team TITAN. We race for bannanas :rolleyes:

Sad and true, the race will go on. I for one will not be able to stop thinking about all the cheatin' riders who were not caught AND it is a sin and a crime to without hesitation ruin the hard fought careers of professionals. But that's the way it works in most foreign countries...guilty until proven otherwise.

Still say it wouldn't happen in NASCAR. Them boys cheat on a WHOLE different level.

zap
06-30-2006, 06:55 AM
But that's the way it works in most foreign countries...guilty until proven otherwise.

True, but the court of law in these respective countries are involved, not sanctioning bodies, etc. where emotions, even from seasoned managers, are probably running high for much of this to make much legal sense.

djg
06-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Drunk is right because it won't be about who is in the race or who won the race but rather who did not race.

But I will be there on Thursday and, well, they can call on us for entertainment! I'll be the fat guy in the Rapha jersey...

dbrk

So ... now that the pro ranks have been decimated ... and, like, since you're already gonna be there ... can folks just show up and race? You could steal one of Fifi's nicknames, bein' a real professor and all, and it would be nice to see someone from the board on the podium.

jeh
06-30-2006, 06:56 AM
yet there is a jan without the race

maybe he and basso will stage a pizza eating contest on pay per view

awesome! who do I give the money to?

-j

jmewkill
06-30-2006, 06:58 AM
My wife and I leave for the Benelux tonight for a few days, her work, me tagging along to see the Tour.

i was showing her the news articles this morning, her reaction "someone will still win".

Even after all the trouble in '98 the winner was still suspect.

At least there's beer and chocolate.

chrisroph
06-30-2006, 08:34 AM
OK, we all believe ped's are endemic to the sport and everyone, including the team docs and ds's, are involved. Then, why are teams suspending riders for doing something everyone is doing with the knowledge, approval and conspiratorial involvement of team mgmt, particularly where there have not yet been WADA or local ped authority suspensions?

Le tour is the big tuna. It draws the attention of the cycling world. It is vitally important to sponsors. Why would teams suspend possible winners like basso and ulrich now. Is it because suspensions are likely during le tour so it is better to take care of the issue now. Are there side deals.

This is all rather hard to fathom with the facts assumed in the first sentence of this post. Wouldn't it make more sense to stand behind the riders at this juncture. Of course, management is famous for throwing aside riders who are caught. However, I'm having a little trouble grokking this turn of affairs.