PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question, but....I'll ask anyway: Powertap hub, can you record your rides?

54ny77
06-26-2016, 09:40 PM
Have a set of wheels where the rear has a Powertap hub. Does that thing have the capability to go out and record your ride's course & wattage so you can re-create it indoors on a trainer (like a computrainer)?

kramnnim
06-26-2016, 09:50 PM
No, the hub only measures and sends power data. The ride recording function is done by something like a Garmin head unit. Some of the newer models can control some trainers. FE-C or something like that?

54ny77
06-26-2016, 09:54 PM
I have a Garmin 800. Never opened the darned thing. Will that work? If so, how do I get the ride/wattage data to computer?

kramnnim
06-26-2016, 10:02 PM
The 800 can record the data sent from the Powertap, assuming it is not one of the old wired ones, or pre ANT+ wireless. It saves the data as a .fit file which you can upload to Garmin Connect, Strava, etc, or analyze with software like Golden Cheetah. The 800 can't control an FE-C trainer but some trainer software can do stuff with the fit files...

54ny77
06-26-2016, 10:03 PM
thanks kramnnim, that's good to know. my brain is full for now, i'll try to read up more on this and pose some more questions later. thanks again. :cool:

Louis
06-26-2016, 10:41 PM
thanks kramnnim, that's good to know. my brain is full for now, i'll try to read up more on this and pose some more questions later. thanks again

https://secondhandsurfer.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/coffee-mug-far-side-my-brain-is-full.jpg

54ny77
06-26-2016, 10:52 PM
yup.

i can only ask so many technical questions per week. :p

https://secondhandsurfer.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/coffee-mug-far-side-my-brain-is-full.jpg

carpediemracing
06-26-2016, 11:01 PM
Have a set of wheels where the rear has a Powertap hub. Does that thing have the capability to go out and record your ride's course & wattage so you can re-create it indoors on a trainer (like a computrainer)?

I was under the impression that you could use a recorded Powertap ride and "replay" it on the more deluxe CycleOps indoor cycles. I may have misunderstood.

The indoor cycle should allow you to ride a course and it should adjust resistance based on gradient I think. Again, I'm not totally familiar with the indoor cycle. A shop or a brand ambassador would be able to help out better.

Computrainer I don't think you can, but I think you can make the course (just not the wattage).

makoti
06-27-2016, 08:23 AM

I've tried this, the info you get from your PT will do it, but as noted you'll need to use a head unit like a Garmin to capture & transfer the info. Not sure about the Computrainer, but I was able to do this with the Kickr using PerfPro software. The problem for me was that I live somewhere with a lot of lights & rolling hills. That meant the watts were all over the place a lot of times. You'll likely want to smooth the wattage profile out for the trainer. On the road, you don't notice it. On the trainer, you do.

RonW87
06-27-2016, 09:32 AM

Isn't this a bit backwards? I would have thought the preferred way to train properly is to replicate your structured workouts on the road.

54ny77
06-27-2016, 09:37 AM
ron287, not looking to "train properly", just want to replicate a handful of common rides, that's all.

makoti - that's a good point re: smoothing out the downhill and coasting, i'll keep that in mind & will look to figure out how to set a minimum wattage like 100 or something like that.

Isn't this a bit backwards? I would have thought the preferred way to train properly is to replicate your structured workouts on the road.

RowanB
06-27-2016, 09:42 AM
Conceptually, do you want to simulate the gradients of your outdoor rides, or recreate your power output during your last outdoor ride? They're two quite different things.

bjf
06-27-2016, 10:16 AM
I was under the impression that you could use a recorded Powertap ride and "replay" it on the more deluxe CycleOps indoor cycles. I may have misunderstood.

The indoor cycle should allow you to ride a course and it should adjust resistance based on gradient I think. Again, I'm not totally familiar with the indoor cycle. A shop or a brand ambassador would be able to help out better.

You can, but you need to record it on one of the CycleOps heads that can control the trainer.

54ny77
06-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Initially, the latter.

Would be nice to do the former but that sounds more complicated.

Conceptually, do you want to simulate the gradients of your outdoor rides, or recreate your power output during your last outdoor ride? They're two quite different things.

trener1
06-28-2016, 09:18 AM
It can totally be done, as others have already said, you would need to capture the ride on your garmin then import to your laptop, once it's on your laptop you can ride that route on your trainer using the laptop if you have a "smart" trainer, i.e. cycleops powerbeam.
It really isn't as complicated as it sounds, once you get the hang of it.
Have a look here http://www.cycleops.com/virtualtraining/overview