PDA

View Full Version : And now Basso.....

flyingscot
06-30-2006, 05:33 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news3

Climb01742
06-30-2006, 05:43 AM
here's david millar from that same news flash. ok, here's a possible irony: could millar be the beale character at just the right moment saying that there is another way?

"Cycling is the most beautiful sport in the world," said the Brit on Thursday. "I had to watch the 2005 Tour de France on TV, and I felt excited, just like a child. I realised I was very lucky that my first race back would be the Tour. I needed to believe in myself and work hard. Fortunately, many people trusted me: the British team, Mauro Gianetti, Matxin and the Saunier Duval-Prodir team, and, of course, my family. It´s like a new beginning; everything is new to me.

"I want to prove that it is definitely possible to win without doping," Millar told Sportwereld.be. "I don't want any more ambiguity. "I am now one hundred percent clean. In the years left in my career, I will have to convince the fans, my colleagues, and the journalists that I am now an honest rider. I hope that my story is a positive message for this sport. I f**ked up: I lied, I did wrong, I cheated, and I have to live with that now. I hope that the new generation of riders can gain the respect of the public. It's already proven by the scandals in Spain that the sport doesn't deserve that respect yet. Cycling will also need years to build up its credibility again."

"It's going in the right direction, I really mean that. What happened in Spain in the last weeks is fantastic news. Through those sort of anti-doping actions, the organised doping networks will be slowly dismantled. The belief that you can't win without doping, must stop. It's up to the current riders to convince the younger generations."

William
06-30-2006, 05:56 AM
Sad, I was rooting for either Jan or Basso.

On the other hand, the Tour is going to be wide open with the players that are left duking it out. Just might turn out to be quite exciting.

William

jeh
06-30-2006, 05:58 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-j

bostondrunk
06-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Sad, I was rooting for either Jan or Basso.

On the other hand, the Tour is going to be wide open with the players that are left duking it out. Just might turn out to be quite exciting.

William

I think it is going to be as boring as the Giro. We'll essentially be watching the Tour of California all over again. This sucks big time.

RedCoeurd'Acier
06-30-2006, 06:00 AM
They've ruined the rest of their careers.............. :no:

jeh
06-30-2006, 06:02 AM

...or they just gave their 15 minutes of fame to the guys who didn't get caught.

-j

davids
06-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Astaná-Würth: Michele Scarponi, Marcos Serrano, David Etxebarria, Joseba Beloki, Angel Vicioso, Isidro Nozal, Unai Osa, Jörg Jaksche

CSC: Ivan Basso

Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears: Constantino Zaballa

Saunier Duval: Carlos Zarate

AG2R: Francisco Mancebo

T-Mobile: Jan Ullrich, Oscar Sevilla

Phonak: Jose Enrique Gutierrez, Jose Ignacio Gutierrez

Comunidad Valenciana: Vicente Ballester, David Bernabeu, David Blanco Rodriguez, Jose Adrian Bonillla, Juan Gomis Lopez, Eladio Jimenez, David Latasa, Javier Pascual, Ruben Plaza, J.Luis M. Jimenez

Unibet.Com: Carlos Garcia Quesada

Retired/suspended riders: Roberto Heras, Angel Casero, Santiago Perez, Tyler Hamilton

bostondrunk
06-30-2006, 06:05 AM

So much for Ulrichs new line of bikes....lol

Go Millar!!!!!!!!!

Too Tall
Say it ain't so blink blink blink.

Redturbo
http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=1&pmmsid=1101908&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.windowsmedia.com

Too Tall
06-30-2006, 06:07 AM
Professional table tennis on OLN will get a boost.

keno
06-30-2006, 06:20 AM
There's one list the Lance haters can't reference. Do those folks now step up and put U and B further back in the field, widening the gap to the unnamed rider, and deflower U's victory? Don't think so.

keno

GoJavs
06-30-2006, 06:35 AM
But NO, this does not make Lance look cleaner. Not in any way.

davids
06-30-2006, 06:37 AM
So, the stereo's playing in the background while I'm surfing, and these lines catch my ear:

You asked me when it disappeared
But I don’t understand
It’s holding steady
It’s holding steady

You asked me when it might get weird
But I don’t understand
It’s weird already
It’s weird already
It’s weird already
It’s weird already
It’s weird already
I don't think Scott Miller's a cycling fan but, you know, you throw your work into the public domain and it's open to interpretation...

(And, hey, if anyone's interested, that's from the new Loud Family record. Yes, there's a new Loud Family record! Puts the Tour in perspective, huh?)

keno
06-30-2006, 06:45 AM
my point is not what Lance did or did not do, but rather what his significant competitors, BY NAME and not as part of the generalized group sometimes known as they all do it, may have done. My read of the consequences of the Lance allegations, particularly as seen on this forum, is that many readily infer that Ullrich or Basso or Tyler might have been on top of the podium but for what Lance might have done. The playing field looks lots more level than it did a short while ago, at a minimum, when it comes to the top guns.

keno

GoJavs
06-30-2006, 06:50 AM
And I think the proper conclusion (IMHO) is that they ALL did it and that only some of them were caught. Different doctors, different networks...

LegendRider
06-30-2006, 06:52 AM
my point is not what Lance did or did not do, but rather what his significant competitors, BY NAME and not as part of the generalized group sometimes known as they all do it, may have done. My read of the consequences of the Lance allegations, particularly as seen on this forum, is that many readily infer that Ullrich or Basso or Tyler might have been on top of the podium but for what Lance might have done. The playing field looks lots more level than it did a short while ago, at a minimum, when it comes to the top guns.

keno

I agree, but another way to look at this is to ask whether or not a clean Lance could consistently beat a doped Ullrich, Basso, Pantani, Beloki, etc.

I wonder if doping has made racing less exciting. The Tour has been a bore since the Indurain era (for the most part). Even as recently as LeMond's day, it was far more exciting - meaningful lead changes, real questions about the capacity of the yellow jersey to hold the lead, etc.

yeehawfactor
06-30-2006, 07:39 AM
i am still amazed that this is unraveling like this. it's weird that so many riders would go to one place and that there would be so few obstacles to implicate people. one would think that this would be a lot more secretive, and that there wouldn't be a freezer with bags labeled "jan"

Fixed
06-30-2006, 07:46 AM
One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When men on the chessboard
get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head
Remember what the Dormouse said:
"Feed your Head
Feed your Head!"

cheers bros

gary135r
06-30-2006, 08:40 AM

keno
word

Big Dan
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
There's one list the Lance haters can't reference. Do those folks now step up and put U and B further back in the field, widening the gap to the unnamed rider, and deflower U's victory? Don't think so.

keno

Please................... :confused:
LA was dropping these guys like flies last year...and he was clean..... :eek:

Steelman
06-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Tugboat must be rolling over in his grave.

yeehawfactor
06-30-2006, 10:12 AM
were there any roleurs or flatlanders on the list? it seems with the exception of whomever may fit that description from liberty sequros and valencidad the riders are all climbers or can climb well enough to have gc hopes.......

Avispa
06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
I wonder if doping has made racing less exciting. The Tour has been a bore since the Indurain era (for the most part). Even as recently as LeMond's day, it was far more exciting - meaningful lead changes, real questions about the capacity of the yellow jersey to hold the lead, etc.

What you said, deserves to be put IN CAPITAL LETTERS!!!

WORD!!!!

Fivethumbs
06-30-2006, 05:53 PM
I bet this is the first ever cycling post to have a Jefferson Airplane reference. I like it. :beer: