PDA

View Full Version : Source for torx head screws.

Cicli
06-26-2016, 09:48 AM
I want to replace all the bolts on my ride with Torx. Anyone have a sorce oer torx bike related hardware?
Preferably stainless.

kramnnim
06-26-2016, 10:46 AM
McMaster Carr

muz
06-26-2016, 01:40 PM
I want to replace all the bolts on my ride with Torx. Anyone have a sorce oer torx bike related hardware?
Preferably stainless.

Be careful, stainless fasteners are not as strong. Best to leave critical bolts (stem, brake, etc) alone.

cadence90
06-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Toronto Cycles have some torx, but only in ti I think.

http://www.bicyclebolts.com/ have some stainless torx.

dave thompson
06-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Be careful, stainless fasteners are not as strong. Best to leave critical bolts (stem, brake, etc) alone.

Interesting as 'most' stem/brake/faceplate/etc bolts are stainless. Folks fasten their front and rear racks on their loaded touring bikes with stainless fittings.

cadence90
06-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Interesting as 'most' stem/brake/faceplate/etc bolts are stainless. Folks fasten their front and rear racks on their loaded touring bikes with stainless fittings.

Exactly.

muz
06-26-2016, 08:31 PM

Not really. You can see rust on many Ritchey and 3T stem bolts, especially 2 bolt models. This is not because they are being cheap. Same for crank bolts (square taper). I am told stainless is barely OK for 8mm bolts, and should not be used for 6mm bolts. Now this is for bolts where failure results in injury, not water bottle or fender bolts. Also OK for 4-bolt stems.

Edit: Here is a reference. Alloy steel bolt has yield strength of 170 Kpsi, stainless only 70 Kpsi:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=13115lj
http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=1311520

Ralph
06-26-2016, 08:37 PM
I believe there is a difference in stainless strength. Like different grades. Typical hardware store metric stainless bolts in sizes we commonly use on our bikes do break easily.

cadence90
06-26-2016, 08:44 PM
I have never used (and never would) hardware store bolts on stems, etc.

I have never had a single stainless (or ti, for that matter) bolt from a reputable manufacturer break or crack. They have been torqued correctly, of course.

Cicli
06-26-2016, 08:46 PM
I have never used (and never would) hardware store bolts on stems, etc.

I have never had a single stainless (or ti, for that matter) bolt from a reputable manufacturer break or crack. They have been torqued correctly, of course.

Correct. Good bolts Torqued properly will live.
I am not looking for cheap and these are not load bearing anyway. Stem top cap, seat binder and such. I use a torque wrench on everything anyway.

Gsinill
06-26-2016, 08:48 PM
McMaster Carr

^^^
This and they are local.

muz
06-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Correct. Good bolts Torqued properly will live.
I am not looking for cheap and these are not load bearing anyway. Stem top cap, seat binder and such. I use a torque wrench on everything anyway.

My point is there is a reason some stems come with high strength alloy steel bolts instead of stainless. If you replace them with regular stainless bolt, you may be compromising the safety. Many people will crash if one of the stem cap bolts breaks (in a 2-bolt design) at an inopportune moment.

dgauthier
06-26-2016, 09:22 PM

(...) these are not load bearing anyway. Stem top cap, seat binder and such. (...)

I agree with muz. This is a very bad idea.

While your stem top cap isn't subject to heavy loads, you wouldn't want your seat binder bolt to fail, say, during a descent. The unexpected drop of your seat post could certainly cause a crash.

I'm not sure which bolts on my bike I would want to fail...

bikinchris
06-26-2016, 09:27 PM
I believe there is a difference in stainless strength. Like different grades. Typical hardware store metric stainless bolts in sizes we commonly use on our bikes do break easily.

There are lots of different alloys of stainless. Some of them are VERY hard. Saying all stainless is weaker then high strength steel alloys is not the whole story. AND the average stainless alloy bolt is plenty strong for most uses.

cp43
06-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Preferably stainless.

Why do you want to go to all torx? I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't, but I'd have never thought to do that.

Also, I second the recommendation for McMaster Carr. They specify the grade of steel of the bolts they carry, so you can get the right type. (I don't know how to tell which type to get, but if you can, you can order it from them)

Hindmost
06-27-2016, 02:26 PM
^^^
This and they are local.

I didn't see a lot of torx choices. (Maybe I missed something.)

Clancy
06-27-2016, 02:45 PM
What is recommended minimum tensile strength for bolts such as stem bolts, brake caliper. Other high strength applications?