Any one else use these before?

I used to really like them.

www.coombe.com

oldpotatoe
06-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Any one else use these before?

I used to really like them.

www.coombe.com

Yowser, expensive. The gent talked to Vecchio's while I was there. Interesting pedal. Online only looks like.

bicycletricycle
06-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Ya, expensive, but they are impossible to break or wear out, so they might pay for themselves over time.

Also, they aren't much more than some plastic pedals.

Dustin
06-26-2016, 09:55 AM
Interesting design. Wonder how they play with shims for a LLD.

Mark McM
06-26-2016, 10:56 AM
After the high price, the next think that jumps out at me is that there is no adjustability of cleat position. There is absolutely no side-to-side adjustability, and fore-aft positioning requires replacing the cleats at $68 a set (the cleats come in several models, which vary a few millimeters in for-aft position of mounting bolt holes). This could make it an expensive proposition for fine-tuning the cleat position, and also that some shoes may be completely incompatible for some riders if the mounting holes are too far fore-aft.

I also see no way of servicing the pedals (i.e. disassembly/reassembly for cleaning/lubing). While there is a built-in grease reservoir for flushing out contaminated grease, I wonder if this will be enough. My experience with pedals with grease ports is that sometimes, after riding in very wet & grimy conditions, a lot of grease has to be pumped through to flush out the water and dirt.

bicycletricycle
06-26-2016, 11:01 AM
You can add as much fresh grease as you want when ever you want. It's easy.

The lack of adjustability is stupid.

DfCas
06-26-2016, 01:14 PM
I thought they were the best pedals I ever owned. I switched ro mountain for all my riding or I would buy a set.

Cicli
06-26-2016, 01:32 PM
My Dura ace move the cranks arou d as well as my legs can. I am not switching to anything, especially for that kind of dough.

FlashUNC
06-26-2016, 01:37 PM
The lack of fore/aft adjustment is baffling.

cadence90
06-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Did Speedplay base the Zero Pavé on these? Or vice versa?

Sierra
06-26-2016, 03:06 PM
Those plastic pedals last a long time.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Did Speedplay base the Zero Pavé on these? Or vice versa?

Coombe has kinda 'viewed' SP as their competition but considering price and adjustability, not really, IMHO.

saab2000
06-26-2016, 04:05 PM
I had some Coombe pedals years ago. I loved the idea but the reality was a bit of a PITA. I switched from them to Time Impacts and loved the Impacts. Then about 7 years ago or so I switched to Shimano pedals and I've never had any desire to switch back to anything else from my past. I liked the low weight and the quality but the riding experience didn't do much for me.

They probably have their place in the world but probably not on my bikes.

cadence90
06-26-2016, 04:15 PM
After the high price, the next think that jumps out at me is that there is no adjustability of cleat position. There is absolutely no side-to-side adjustability, and fore-aft positioning requires replacing the cleats at $68 a set (the cleats come in several models, which vary a few millimeters in for-aft position of mounting bolt holes). This could make it an expensive proposition for fine-tuning the cleat position, and also that some shoes may be completely incompatible for some riders if the mounting holes are too far fore-aft.

I just looked at the diagram more closely, because I was under the impression that the various colored lines indicated cleat adjustability.

But, no, you are completely correct in that one has to buy different (colors) cleats in order to adjust just a few mm. That is crazy.

They might be well-built, etc., but that would be a deal-breaker, in addition to the high cost.
I'm perfectly happy on Speedplay Zero or Keywin CRM.

beeemmjay
12-13-2016, 12:36 PM
anyone pull the trigger on a pair of these?
if so, any recent feedback?
toying with the idea of a pair for the spring (here's hoping the loonie isn't still -30% then)

tumbler
12-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Is it just me, or does the engagement process seem a little strange? I'm sure you get used to it, but I don't think I would like the additional rotating out/in to get clipped in.

saab2000
12-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Is it just me, or does the engagement process seem a little strange? I'm sure you get used to it, but I don't think I would like the additional rotating out/in to get clipped in.

When I had them I did not like the engagement process, nor did I like the disengagement. There was no positive or progressive spring tension nor was there an engagement feel or click. You just rotated in and rotated out.

Sold them for Time Impacts. No regrets. Moved on from the Impacts a decade later to Shimano with even fewer regrets.

JStonebarger
12-13-2016, 03:10 PM
The ad copy alone is enough to make me avoid the pedals. Maximum rigidity and power transfer? Cleat position for arch support? Aerospace grade materials? Really? Ba ha ha...

rustychisel
12-13-2016, 05:03 PM
I had some Coombe pedals years ago. I loved the idea but the reality was a bit of a PITA. I switched from them to Time Impacts and loved the Impacts. Then about 7 years ago or so I switched to Shimano pedals and I've never had any desire to switch back to anything else from my past. I liked the low weight and the quality but the riding experience didn't do much for me.

They probably have their place in the world but probably not on my bikes.

pretty reasonable real-world assessment here. The pedal world has moved on...

beeemmjay
12-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Engagement doesn't look so different from Keywins. In fact, the movement/float looks pretty similar. I liked the Keywin engagement and big surface area, but still went back to LOOK (can't quite place why).
The double sided element of the Coombe system is what I find most appealing.
Have tried SP once or twice for that reason, but just haven't 'gotten it'; stepping down, I always seem to miss the right spot and slide off the pedal. Maybe chalk it up to plain old user error.

bicycletricycle
12-14-2016, 11:46 AM
the engagement process became second nature after a little bit for me, I used them for years and after I wore out all of my cleats I went to shimano SPD-sl and then they took a while to get used to.

The old ones had a lot of free non centering float which i really liked. I ended up taking out the detents in the old cleats which meant there was absolutely no resistance before disengagement or engagement. It was really easy to get used to and it was nice to be able to easily glide in and out of the pedals. I would guess that the lack of resistance before clipping out would not work for some people or riding styles but I liked it a lot.

I think the new ones can have this same feature set with a little bit of dremmel work on the cleats.

berserk87
12-14-2016, 02:10 PM
The link is showing that Coombe is sold out.