PDA

View Full Version : OT: Euro 2016

Pages : [1] 2

echappist
06-25-2016, 12:19 PM
what a game between Poland and Switzerland. That goal by "Chips Don't Lie" Shikiri. Acorbatic.

Lewandowski has another match to score.

R3awak3n
06-25-2016, 12:26 PM
oh man, my neighborhood probably going crazy right now. North Brooklyn is the American Poland haha

I am waiting for 3 for the Portugal game. It is going to be a tough one for us (Portugal). Croatia is a really strong team, lets hope Ronaldo brings it this time around but Nani has been the highlight of the team for the past 3 matches.

Been a great Euro so far.

wc1934
06-25-2016, 04:24 PM
oh man, my neighborhood probably going crazy right now. North Brooklyn is the American Poland haha

I am waiting for 3 for the Portugal game. It is going to be a tough one for us (Portugal).

major disappointment - the announcers said - this is so boring what are the guys in the studio booth going to talk about at halftime. 2nd half wasn't any better - no one willing to push forward (settling for the dreaded pk's).
I spoke to soooooooooonnnnnn.

cadence90
06-25-2016, 06:01 PM
CR7 is still awful in big tournament games. How can he miss so many "easy" goals? And 0 shots on goal in 90' by either team had not happened since 1980.

Quaresma was such a huge waste of money at Inter, and then he wins it for POR. :crap:

That Shaqiri goal was insane.
http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2016/06/25/Calcio/Foto%20Gallery/2016-06-25T144131Z_109867291_MT1ACI14454365_RTRMADP_3_SOCC ER-EURO-SWI-POL_mediagallery-page.jpg

Forza ITA vs ESP....:help:

R3awak3n
06-25-2016, 06:10 PM
The swiss goal was indeed insane.

CR7 is an amazing player and it is not the big tournament that is the problem, he is just used to a different kind of team. Also, check the last match against hungary, Ronaldo won the game for Portugal. He also is 1 goal away from tieing the best scorer on all Euro cups.

Quaresma is an amazing player. Fun fact, he was my Grandparents neighbour in the town I grew up in in Portugal. Grandma still lives there, in the same house.

R3awak3n
06-25-2016, 06:11 PM
major disappointment - the announcers said - this is so boring what are the guys in the studio booth going to talk about at halftime. 2nd half wasn't any better - no one willing to push forward (settling for the dreaded pk's).
I spoke to soooooooooonnnnnn.

it was an aweful game, not going to lie but these happen once in a while. Glad it did not go to PKs because pretty sure the result would have been the opposite

cadence90
06-25-2016, 06:30 PM
CR7 has been bad at WCs and Euros, historically. I'm not talking about any single game. He is of course a great player, but he simply has not performed to his RM level at major tournaments, and that is not solely on RM v POR imo.

Quaresma has not been a great player for a while. At Inter he was a complete €30M bust, a real disaster. Even Mou, who wanted him at all costs, ended up losing faith in him. And then what? Pretty much a 0 in Turkey, Arabia....

cadence90
06-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Wow. Great 1st half by ITA! :banana:

Gsinill
06-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Wow. Great 1st half by ITA! :banana:

Darn, not good for my fellow Germans!
Anybody but ITA ;-)

cadence90
06-27-2016, 12:29 PM
Darn, not good for my fellow Germans!
Anybody but ITA ;-)

Pox, pox, pox, and more pox! :D :D :D :D

ITA are playing great, but I'm so nervous right now; they have blown a couple of match-clinching opportunities.

cadence90
06-27-2016, 12:50 PM
ITALIA!

What a goal!
(And Buffon is simply amazing.)

:banana: :banana: :banana:

echappist
06-27-2016, 12:54 PM
amazing saves by Buffon

also was Chielinni acting there?

cadence90
06-27-2016, 03:51 PM
amazing saves by Buffon

also was Chielinni acting there?

What, when he scored that goal?
No, I think that was legit joy. :) ;)

In other news, Björk and Guðmundur Róbert Guðmundsson (you know, Iceland's National Road Champion) are completely kicking The Rolling Stones', The Beatles', The Who's, The Clash's, etc., and Brad Wiggins'/Chris Froome's, etc. ass, all over the place. :eek:

This is unbelievable, just a complete demolition.
"All in all there's an enormous, huge, vast, immense, gigantic, giant, massive, colossal, mammoth, tremendous, monumental, epic, prodigious, mountainous, king-sized, titanic, towering, elephantine, gargantuan, Brobdingnagian, hole in the wall..."

Holy ****e.
Góða nótt, England. Brexit number tveir.

"Iceland have plunged England into a deep freeze. It was a calamitous, clueless display."
- Ian Darke

tuscanyswe
06-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Italy looking like a proper italian side again. Awesome play from them so far in this Euro. Love it!!

Island *** lol hey I'm all for it but omg.. their coach is a swedish genius who i didn't want to have coaching our nt, I'm a bit of a fool i guess .)

cadence90
06-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Ha ha ha!
Well, Mr. Hodgson is certainly available, as of 10 minutes ago.

This is just a massive upset.

akelman
06-27-2016, 04:17 PM
Worst day in English history since last Friday.

cadence90
06-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Worst day in English history since last Friday.
Yeah, rough few days. :(

Hodgson is such a copy-cat. He just Hexited.

tuscanyswe
06-27-2016, 04:28 PM
Tbf it was rather expected imo .)

England NT can't perform even close to the level they should. Its been like this for as long as i can remember almost.

summilux
06-27-2016, 04:31 PM
Terrible defending and terrible goaltending from England. Rooney was lousy. Same story over and over again.

Mzilliox
06-27-2016, 04:39 PM

England NT can't perform even close to the level they should. Its been like this for as long as i can remember almost.

The ego is real high in English football, but the performances very low, Coaching? management? poor team spirit? wrong squad? all of the above?

Rooney is one of the most overrated strikers i have ever seen

cadence90
06-27-2016, 04:40 PM

The resignation or the Iceland win?
The resignation, of course, but i can't see how anyone really expected Iceland to win.

Terrible defending and terrible goaltending from England. Rooney was lousy. Same story over and over again.

These England players were really lousy:
Hart; Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose; Alli, Dier (Wilshere), Rooney (Rashford); Sturridge, Kane, Sterling (Vardy). (Forster, Heaton, Clyne, Stones, Bertrand, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Barkley). Hodgson.

These England players were marginally OK:

echappist
06-27-2016, 04:41 PM
What, when he scored that goal?
No, I think that was legit joy. :) ;)

Toward the end, at the 93rd minute; the one for which David Silva was given a yellow. Perhaps Silva tried to step on Chiellini's groin?

In other news, Björk and Guðmundur Róbert Guðmundsson (you know, Iceland's National Road Champion) are completely kicking The Rolling Stones', The Beatles', The Who's, The Clash's, etc., and Brad Wiggins'/Chris Froome's, etc. ass, all over the place. :eek:

This is unbelievable, just a complete demolition.
"All in all there's an enormous, huge, vast, immense, gigantic, giant, massive, colossal, mammoth, tremendous, monumental, epic, prodigious, mountainous, king-sized, titanic, towering, elephantine, gargantuan, Brobdingnagian, hole in the wall..."

Holy ****e.
Góða nótt, England. Brexit number tveir.

"Iceland have plunged England into a deep freeze. It was a calamitous, clueless display."
- Ian Darke
well played :)

Ha ha ha!
Well, Mr. Hodgson is certainly available, as of 10 minutes ago.

This is just a massive upset.

Perhaps Señor del Bosque could take over ;)?

I donno what is worse, having top notch players and under performing at every juncture (viz. England) or having mediocre players who punch above their weight (e.g. U.S.)

Looking forward to the post-mortem dissection on Match of the Day. I bet Rio Ferdinand is going to tear the team a new one.

cadence90
06-27-2016, 04:47 PM
Toward the end, at the 93rd minute; the one for which David Silva was given a yellow. Perhaps Silva tried to step on Chiellini's groin?

well played :)

Perhaps Mr. Bosque could take over ;)?

Yeah, Chiellini is a great defender, but really flops too much. I think he did there.

I will be curious to see who ENG choose now.
I think disasters like ENG are far worse.

Indeed. Men in Blazers on Wednesday should be pretty interesting as well.

BdaGhisallo
06-27-2016, 04:53 PM

The plan may have not been great in some folks' minds, but the failure of England's highly paid players to make accurate shots on goal, and hustle on the field, and pass the ball accurately, and genuinely look like they cared is, undoubtedly, the fault of the manager!!!!

Hodgson will lose his job, and deserves to, but the players need to lose theirs too. They never looked impressive and they never looked dangerous. They never looked hungry and the blame for that does not lay with the manager or the English FA.

Mzilliox
06-27-2016, 05:00 PM
The plan may have not been great in some folks' minds, but the failure of England's highly paid players to make accurate shots on goal, and hustle on the field, and pass the ball accurately, and genuinely look like they cared is, undoubtedly, the fault of the manager!!!!

Hodgson will lose his job, and deserves to, but the players need to lose theirs too. They never looked impressive and they never looked dangerous. They never looked hungry and the blame for that does not lay with the manager or the English FA.

this seems to be the English way. for as long as I've been alive they have at least one of the 5 most talented teams in the world. yet they win nothing, not even the occasional rivalry. Most times I disagree with the makeup of the team, i feel they do not select role players, tenacious defenders, hard centre midfielders (my favorites), you know, they guys who win games. they never seem to have a game plan either. I think its always management when players don't perform. what else can you blame. the raw material is there... but it takes a manager to put it all together.

echappist
06-27-2016, 05:01 PM
this MoTD recap is gonna be good. Lineker looks dejected, quipping, you (the audience) are sure suckers for punishment. One of the commentators remarked, in football and in finance, Sterling has to perform better

At least the Brits still have their sense of humor

cadence90
06-27-2016, 05:07 PM
this MoTD recap is gonna be good. Lineker looks dejected, quipping, you (the audience) are sure suckers for punishment. One of the commentators remarked, in football and in finance, Sterling has to perform better

At least the Brits still have their sense of humor

Is Lineker owning up to the comment he made earlier this week?
"Iceland have more volcanoes than soccer players."

Not quite right, Gary: Iceland's soccer players ARE volcanoes! :)

Are you in the UK, echappist?
I can't find any way to view MOTD in the US.

1centaur
06-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Just have to say, Sterling was bad for Liverpool, bad for Man City, and bad for England. He is fast but makes bad decisions, bad passes, and bad shots. That combo will never work, and he should not be on the national side. He is, at best, a late game sub when defenders are tired so maybe his speed is enough. Which is the role Man City eventually gave him. Starting him rather than Vardy, who is, um, fast AND has a great nose for goal, was really, really stupid.

cadence90
06-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Very true.
I think both Rashford and Vardy should have played more than Rooney and Sterling.

echappist
06-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Is Lineker owning up to the comment he made earlier this week?
"Iceland have more volcanoes than soccer players."

Not quite right, Gary: Iceland's soccer players ARE volcanoes! :)

Are you in the UK, echappist?
I can't find any way to view MOTD in the US.

still waiting. I think Lineker is too shocked to have any retort

as for my location. I'm in the colonies. VPN is your friend :)

say what you want about the Brits, but BBC knows how to put on a TV program. I think i've really come to appreciate association football by watching MOTD. If i could pay for the TV license, I would (full disclosure, i'm a big Dr. Who fan).

Very true.
I think both Rashford and Vardy should have played more than Rooney and Sterling.

+1

Don't think Sterling could even crack the Man City starting lineup; how is he starting for England? Ditto for Wilshire...

Mzilliox
06-27-2016, 05:20 PM
Very true.

right, how do you sit out the most prolific scorer in England last season in favor of that washed up pug?

echappist
06-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Ha, Lineker ended the show by saying, "England beaten by Iceland, a country with more volcanoes than footballers. We may as well give up."

cadence90
06-27-2016, 06:17 PM
For all the Icelandic speakers here on Paceline Forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzQgCj0axdE

Gissur Simonarson CN
‏@GissiSim
PT: Many people have asked me to do a translation of this. Here you go.

"This is done! This is done! We are never going home! Did you see that?! Did you see that?! Amazing! I can't believe it! This is a dream. Never wake me from this amazing dream!

Live the way you want, England! Iceland is going to play France on Sunday! France-Iceland! You can go home! You can go out of Europe! You can go wherever the hell you want! England 1, Iceland 2 is the closing score here in Nice! And the fairy-tale continues!"

:D :D :D

BobC
06-27-2016, 06:51 PM
I watched the 2nd half. England looked lost (Rooney especially)

You'll probably laugh but the best thing England could do is hire Big Sam.

I also thought not having Andy Carroll on the bench was a major mistake. While I don't think he ranks at the top for England strikers, he brings a completely different problem set for defenders. West Ham figured that out.

BobC
06-27-2016, 06:55 PM
BBC rated the England side. Straight 4s (out of ten).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36646946

Personally I think they were charitable

echappist
06-27-2016, 06:56 PM
Italy looks really good. I wonder if anyone has figured out how to break down their 3-man back line

The clash with Germany should be good.

Wonder how good a fight Wales could put up against Belgium. Hazard is finally getting his form back and looks scary.

cadence90
06-27-2016, 07:08 PM
I'm not laughing. I think that's a good idea.

BBC rated the England side. Straight 4s (out of ten).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36646946

Personally I think they were charitable
Agree,
Hart, Cahill, Rooney, Kane, and Sterling deserved at least 3s imo.

Italy looks really good. I wonder if anyone has figured out how to break down their 3-man back line

The clash with Germany should be good.

Wonder how good a fight Wales could put up against Belgium. Hazard is finally getting his form back and looks scary.
I really hope ITA can keep this up. They might be able to. After today the confidence is sky-high, but they won't be over-confident. They will attack GER as they did ESP.

Hazard v Bale is going to be great. But I think BEL will win.

echappist
06-27-2016, 07:20 PM
I watched the 2nd half. England looked lost (Rooney especially)

I also thought not having Andy Carroll on the bench was a major mistake. While I don't think he ranks at the top for England strikers, he brings a completely different problem set for defenders. West Ham figured that out.

i came to admire the job he has done at Sunderland, especially how he's turned around Deandre Yedlin. If he could polish Yedlin, perhaps he could also do something with the much better talent he has at his disposal.

wc1934
06-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Brexit again!!! - wow - So much for CR's prediction that Iceland "will not do anything in the competition"

Italy/Spain Announcer: today the pain belongs to Spain and revenge is a dish best served cold.

Great game. The 3-5-2 is working - Lorenzo with energy, the Juventus quartet - Gigi isnt really 38, Conte jumping up and down like a kid, the midfield injuries etc. etc.

Forza Azzurri

cadence90
06-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Brexit again!!! - wow - So much for CR's prediction that Iceland "will not do anything in the competition"

Italy/Spain Announcer: today the pain belongs to Spain and revenge is a dish best served cold.

Great game. The 3-5-2 is working - Lorenzo with energy, the Juventus quartet - Gigi isnt really 38, Conte jumping up and down like a kid, the midfield injuries etc. etc.

Forza Azzurri

:beer:

Pretty athletic kid, too! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnfbyJ2vUE

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2016/06/27/Calcio/Foto%20Calcio%20-%20Trattate/37b9dfd5b61b29296044a75235226fe0_169_l.jpg?v=20160 6280014

wc1934
06-27-2016, 09:26 PM

Pretty athletic kid, too! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnfbyJ2vUE

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2016/06/27/Calcio/Foto%20Calcio%20-%20Trattate/37b9dfd5b61b29296044a75235226fe0_169_l.jpg?v=20160 6280014

haha- yup that's what I was referring to. They had some great shots of him during the game - he doesn't look like a guy who is moving to a new team in about 2 weeks - he is still intense.

http://www.football-italia.net/86466/conte-italy-not-catenaccio

Climb01742
06-28-2016, 06:34 AM
But let's not forget Iceland. They are incredibly fit, their 11 play together seamlessly, their defensive is relentless, their tackling/ball dispossession is textbook and their spirit/will never quits. True, they don't have those moments or players of sublime brilliance (though that 94th minute goal against Hungary came darn close) they have 11 players who play constantly at 90% of their full talents. May never happen but I'd love to see Iceland v Germany.

summilux
06-28-2016, 07:45 AM
As much as I'm loving Iceland, I just can't see them getting past France. When France was down against the Republic they roared back with strength and passion in the second half. Everything that England refused to do. Tough to call for an upset against Les Bleus at home. That said, I really hope that Iceland can take it to penalties and do something incredible.

BdaGhisallo
06-28-2016, 07:48 AM
But let's not forget Iceland. They are incredibly fit, their 11 play together seamlessly, their defensive is relentless, their tackling/ball dispossession is textbook and their spirit/will never quits. True, they don't have those moments or players of sublime brilliance (though that 94th minute goal against Hungary came darn close) they have 11 players who play constantly at 90% of their full talents. May never happen but I'd love to see Iceland v Germany.

Iceland, and the other small nations in the tournament like Slovakia and Wales, have impressed me immensely. The whole level of european and world football has risen. You still have the powerhouse nations but the ranks of the next best teams have risen as teams previously considered minnows have raised their games considerably. It makes these affairs so much more interesting. These last few weeks have shown that, no matter who you are, easy games are few and far between at the large tournaments. Even the powerhouse nations have to be on their toes and can take no other team for granted.

This all still doesn't the fact that England are and have been atrocious for many, many years now. I don't even consider yesterday's game an upset in any way. The way Iceland have played and the way in which England have played would dictate no other result.

Climb01742
06-28-2016, 09:14 AM
This all still doesn't the fact that England are and have been atrocious for many, many years now. I don't even consider yesterday's game an upset in any way. The way Iceland have played and the way in which England have played would dictate no other result.

No argument here. It was a vivid example of a team and players hungry and determined and willing to sacrifice to prove themselves versus EPL players with some of the fattest contracts on earth waiting to hit the beaches.

goonster
06-28-2016, 09:38 AM
right, how do you sit out the most prolific scorer in England last season in favor of that washed up pug?

Because England set up differently than Leiceister, and in an international tournament you are always less likely to get open space behind the defensive line for Vardy to run into.

Also, the problem isn't Rooney per se, it's that he's being played out of position, and in order to accomodate him other players end up playing out of their preferred positions.

I also thought not having Andy Carroll on the bench was a major mistake.

Not a bad point, but Kane should be able to do 90% of what the Big Geordie does (and do everything else better). A good pairing might have been Vardy and Kane, but that never happened until much too late.

So many problems with the squad, but the inability of England to field central defenders better than Gary Cahill and Kyle Walker is a big one . . .

cadence90
06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
May never happen but I'd love to see Iceland v Germany.As much as I'm loving Iceland, I just can't see them getting past France.
I would much rather see Iceland v Italy.

But, ENG doesn't have the balance FRA does, and Griezmann has been on fire.

Unfortunately for ITA, Thiago Motta is definitely out, and De Rossi/Candreva may not be able to play. On the other side GER is a machine, Boateng is amazing, and Gomez is scary. :help: But, we have Buffon!

The direct-elimination phase came out in such an odd manner.
All the "powers", except for ISL (and now "super-minnow"ENG) on one side, and all the "minnows" except for BEL on the other. BEL have the least complicated road to the final now.

Apparently Southgate and De Biasi are in pole position to take over ENG. No mention of Big Sam so far, BobC. :(

Mzilliox
06-28-2016, 01:01 PM
strong win by Italy.

France will be more focused in the next round and will be able to handle the tenacious Iceland. Giroux will score. hes a beast and underrated. nobody sucks up the long ball the way he can right now, and there may not be a better first touch finisher in the world, hes overdue.

echappist
06-28-2016, 02:10 PM
strong win by Italy.

France will be more focused in the next round and will be able to handle the tenacious Iceland. Giroux will score. hes a beast and underrated. nobody sucks up the long ball the way he can right now, and there may not be a better first touch finisher in the world, hes overdue.

i wonder what the Gooner fans would say about that.

BobC
06-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Apparently Southgate and De Biasi are in pole position to take over ENG. No mention of Big Sam so far, BobC. :(

Really, I would love to see Big Sam take over for the USMNT after Jurgen. NOW THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. Rather trying to be something the USMNT is not, Sam would have them play to their strengths. They would be every other team's worst nightmare to play: athletic, organized, committed to a direct style -- kinda like Iceland is now.

Honestly, tournament play like Euros (& Copa) shows time and time again how organized teams can outplay more talented teams. Just look at the Copa finale. All my friends predicted Argentina to blow Chile away. Having seen last year's Copa final, I disagreed. Chile negated all the talent & won on PKs (probably just like they drew it up).

OBTW a great time to be a soccer fan(atic). So much great soccer to watch.

tuscanyswe
06-28-2016, 02:23 PM
I would much rather see Iceland v Italy.

But, ENG doesn't have the balance FRA does, and Griezmann has been on fire.

Unfortunately for ITA, Thiago Motta is definitely out, and De Rossi/Candreva may not be able to play. On the other side GER is a machine, Boateng is amazing, and Gomez is scary. :help: But, we have Buffon!

The direct-elimination phase came out in such an odd manner.
All the "powers", except for ISL (and now "super-minnow"ENG) on one side, and all the "minnows" except for BEL on the other. BEL have the least complicated road to the final now.

I agree. Island vs ita is a more interesting game for me as well but doubt they can get by france (tho they haven't really been tested yet imo).

Motta is out, why what how? did i forget he picked up an injury somehow? Who will be subbed in for Rossi when he gets tired with Motta out?

cadence90
06-28-2016, 02:29 PM
I agree. Island vs ita is a more interesting game for me as well but doubt they can get by france (tho they haven't really been tested yet imo).

Motta is out, why what how? did i forget he picked up an injury somehow? Who will be subbed in for Rossi when he gets tired with Motta out?

Motta is definitely out because of accumulated yellows.
De Rossi and Candreva may be out because of injuries.
If he can't recover esp. De Rossi, Conte may even change the scheme v GER.
Depending on the scheme, Parolo, Sturaro, Florenzi. Probably Sturaro.

Just vincere, baby! :)

goonster
06-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Giroux [ . . .] there may not be a better first touch finisher in the world

That may be the first time that's been said, ever. :hello::beer::hello:

tuscanyswe
06-28-2016, 02:44 PM
Motta is definitely out because of accumulated yellows.
De Rossi and Candreva may be out because of injuries.
If he can't recover esp. De Rossi, Conte may even change the scheme v GER.
Depending on the scheme, Parolo, Sturaro, Florenzi. Probably Sturaro.

Just vincere, baby! :)

ah yea forgot about that one. He does play somewhat nasty from time to time and unlike Chiellini he usually gets punished for it.

I really think Conte is a superb coach for Italy (will be interesting to follow him at chelsea, a team that should suit him well and vice versa). So he can probably make do with the options but they ardent ideal. Cant help to miss Veratti even more now. Italy have been great without him tho so hopefully they can pull through. Since Germany have never beaten italy in a tournament I'm still confident no matter what team they end up fielding.

tuscanyswe
06-28-2016, 02:45 PM

haha mm and may be the last to tbh.

cadence90
06-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Really, I would love to see Big Sam take over for the USMNT after Jurgen. NOW THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. Rather trying to be something the USMNT is not, Sam would have them play to their strengths. They would be every other team's worst nightmare to play: athletic, organized, committed to a direct style -- kinda like Iceland is now.
Wow, you're full of good ideas! Big Sam as USMNT HC would be amazing.
And he would double viewership just on his own personality, compared to Klinsy.

If Klinsy's boys are called the "von Trapps", what would Sam's club be called?

"Sam's 49ers"? (26 + 23) :D
https://youtu.be/0I66gHKuj7w

cadence90
06-28-2016, 02:55 PM
ah yea forgot about that one. He does play somewhat nasty from time to time and unlike Chiellini he usually gets punished for it.

I really think Conte is a superb coach for Italy (will be interesting to follow him at chelsea, a team that should suit him well and vice versa). So he can probably make do with the options but they ardent ideal. Cant help to miss Veratti even more now. Italy have been great without him tho so hopefully they can pull through. Since Germany have never beaten italy in a tournament I'm still confident no matter what team they end up fielding.

Yeah, I really miss Verratti. He's special, and ITA have no one like him.

I hope ITA can keep the streak, but I'm worried. GER are terrifying.

tuscanyswe
06-28-2016, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I really miss Verratti. He's special, and ITA have no one like him.

I hope ITA can keep the streak, but I'm worried. GER are terrifying.

Yeah but i thought so 4 years ago as well. infact in that tournament i didn't think italy would have a chance (well its football so anyone can win but..) yet italy comfortably beat Germany even then. Italy somehow have germany in their pocket .)

echappist
06-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Wow, you're full of good ideas! Big Sam as USMNT HC would be amazing.
And he would double viewership just on his own personality, compared to Klinsy.

If Klinsy's boys are called the "von Trapps", what would Sam's club be called?

"Sam's 49ers"? (26 + 23) :D
https://youtu.be/0I66gHKuj7w

but would we get the German American players if Big Sam leads the team? Brooks, Johnson, and JJJ (as univision likes to call him), three of the best players on MNT , got to the MNT via that route. Alfredo Morales, the only defensive mid we have playing in a top league, is also a German American, not to mention the somewhat mercurial Danny Williams. I guess one way to look at it is that they were never going to crack Die Mannschaft, so they'd come to the MNT anyways, but i'm not so sure in the case of Brooks. Dude was helping to pilot cellar dweller Hertha to a UCL spot before he got injured.

cadence90
06-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Yeah but i thought so 4 years ago as well. infact in that tournament i didn't think italy would have a chance (well its football so anyone can win but..) yet italy comfortably beat Germany even then. Italy somehow have germany in their pocket .)
DO NOT JINX IT, teeswee!!!
100 times on your black-board, over there in the corner, write that now! :D

but would we get the German American players if Big Sam leads the team? Brooks, Johnson, and JJJ (as univision likes to call him), three of the best players on MNT , got to the MNT via that route. Alfredo Morales, the only defensive mid we have playing in a top league, is also a German American, not to mention the somewhat mercurial Danny Williams. I guess one way to look at it is that they were never going to crack Die Mannschaft, so they'd come to the MNT anyways, but i'm not so sure in the case of Brooks. Dude was helping to pilot cellar dweller Hertha to a UCL spot before he got injured.
Good point (or pint, in Sam's case).
But those guys are locked up US now.
Are there any good young England-born players? I don't know, but there can't only be German-borns.
Perhaps Big Sam would have convinced Rossi to play for USA.

Sam would be great for spirit, strategy, analytics/sports science and, most important, youth development, I think.

I like BobC's idea!

Ha ha, yes, Univision's "JJJ" is hilarious.

echappist
06-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Carters Vicker could potentially play for England, but thankfully choose to represent the U23 MNT team thus far. He's with Tottenham's U21 squad

But as the other poster pointed out, Big Sam leads teams that play much better than what the sums of the players would suggest. 27 points in the second half and getting old man Defoe to score only one fewer goal than that overrated Olivier Giroud.

brownhound
06-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Allardyce for the US? Good god, no. Just pry Arena out of LA if you want obsolete tactics. He'd be cheaper, would understand MLS, might value Hispanic players, and would be prepared for CONCACAF.

And why we're at it, why do you think England loses in major tournaments, be it weaker (Iceland 2016) or stronger (Germany 2010)? Their players play solely in the Premiership, which has, for Europe, relatively weak tactical understanding. Despite its current international flavoring, the Premiership is still very British in how it plays the game, and English players fit well within those boundaries. Big Sam is the weakest of the bunch: hard, fast, simple. That the US can find on its own.

The US needs a coach that can both organize and teach tactical understanding, especially given that Americans are even weaker than the English in this regard, which is not helped by continually watching the Prem. That is Klinsmann's prime weakness. His ability to recruit German-Americans is his strength (Jones was recruited by Bradley, btw). So I credit him for Johnson and Brooks. Others have been tried and found wanting - Williams, Chandler, Boyd, Green.

cadence90
06-28-2016, 04:36 PM
Carters Vicker could potentially play for England, but thankfully choose to represent the U23 MNT team thus far. He's with Tottenham's U21 squad

But as the other poster pointed out, Big Sam leads teams that play much better than what the sums of the players would suggest. 27 points in the second half and getting old man Defoe to score only one fewer goal than that overrated Olivier Giroud.
Mzilliox / goonster retorts coming in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Allardyce for the US? Good god, no. Just pry Arena out of LA if you want obsolete tactics. He'd be cheaper, would understand MLS, might value Hispanic players, and would be prepared for CONCACAF.

And why we're at it, why do you think England loses in major tournaments, be it weaker (Iceland 2016) or stronger (Germany 2010)? Their players play solely in the Premiership, which has, for Europe, relatively weak tactical understanding. Despite its current international flavoring, the Premiership is still very British in how it plays the game, and English players fit well within those boundaries. Big Sam is the weakest of the bunch: hard, fast, simple. That the US can find on its own.

The US needs a coach that can both organize and teach tactical understanding, especially given that Americans are even weaker than the English in this regard, which is not helped by continually watching the Prem. That is Klinsmann's prime weakness. His ability to recruit German-Americans is his strength (Jones was recruited by Bradley, btw). So I credit him for Johnson and Brooks. Others have been tried and found wanting - Williams, Chandler, Boyd, Green.

Those are very valid points, but I think that that is also the standard criticism of Big Sam. I don't think he is that bad.
He might not be the best for USMNT, but I think he's better than described in general ("long ball and nothing else", etc.) and WAY better than Arena. Maybe you were joking re: Arena as USMNT HC yet again, but man is that guy uninspiring.

But, if I'm choosing, Fabio Capello, with Robi Baggio and Zola as assistants, and Lippi + Il Trap as technical advosors. :D :banana:

Mzilliox
06-28-2016, 04:37 PM

It is a shame we can't bring in someone who understands tactics. that is the curse of soccer in the USA from youth on up. Players actually think there is some imaginary box associated with their position, outside of which they are not allowed to run. shame indeed

cadence90
06-28-2016, 04:39 PM

I'll have to look him up.

I can't remember: does playing for a country's U-23 bind a player to that country, or is it binding only if the player plays with the seniors? I'm pretty sure U-21s can switch.

Mzilliox
06-28-2016, 04:40 PM

haha, perhaps overstating Girouxs talents as I'm a fan of both France and the Gunnars. But I do enjoy his play, and don't think fans understand the intangibles he brings. And look at his goals, so many scored from crosses, first touch, either headers or volleys. I would have loved to play with a striker like him.

cadence90
06-28-2016, 04:41 PM
It is a shame we can't bring in someone who understands tactics. that is the curse of soccer in the USA from youth on up. Players actually think there is some imaginary box associated with their position, outside of which they are not allowed to run. shame indeed

Obviously a recent flop, but what do you think of van Gaal?

cadence90
06-28-2016, 04:49 PM
haha, perhaps overstating Girouxs talents as I'm a fan of both France and the Gunnars. But I do enjoy his play, and don't think fans understand the intangibles he brings. And look at his goals, so many scored from crosses, first touch, either headers or volleys. I would have loved to play with a striker like him.
I just spoke with Zlatan.

Zlatan said, "Giroux?" :no:

Zlatan said, "Zlatan?" :hello:

Zlatan knows....

brownhound
06-28-2016, 05:01 PM
But, if I'm choosing, Fabio Capello, with Robi Baggio and Zola as assistants, and Lippi + Il Trap as technical advosors.

Italians would be a good place to start if they understood English, learned MLS's intricate vagaries, appreciated the challenges of Western Hemisphere football and wanted to work outside Italy. I suppose Germans or even Eastern Europeans would be a good substitute.

That's why Argentina, the Italians of the Americas, were three out of four Copa America coaches. Hell, Chile has been living off Bielsa's legacy for over a decade. Remember the US looked long and hard at Pekermann, but decided against him because he refused to learn English.

brownhound
06-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Obviously a recent flop, but what do you think of van Gaal?

Dutch understand tactics well, but teach to the Dutch bible (e.g., 4-3-3 forever). Those tactics don't necessarily translate well. Plus, he'd be flummoxed by not being in Western Europe.

cadence90
06-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Italians would be a good place to start if they understood English, learned MLS's intricate vagaries, appreciated the challenges of Western Hemisphere football and wanted to work outside Italy. I suppose Germans or even Eastern Europeans would be a good substitute.
In that case Fabio would be perfect, along with Trap!
Plus, Italian suits are far nicer than German/Eastern European cuts.

That's why Argentina, the Italians of the Americas, were three out of four Copa America coaches. Hell, Chile has been living off Bielsa's legacy for over a decade. Remember the US looked long and hard at Pekermann, but decided against him because he refused to learn English.
My understanding was that it was less a language issue and more a total disdain for US soccer, on Pekerman's part.

Dutch understand tactics well, but teach to the Dutch bible (e.g., 4-3-3 forever). Those tactics don't necessarily translate well. Plus, he'd be flummoxed by not being in Western Europe.
Yes, there is that ego thing, too.

echappist
06-28-2016, 05:43 PM
I'll have to look him up.

I can't remember: does playing for a country's U-23 bind a player to that country, or is it binding only if the player plays with the seniors? I'm pretty sure U-21s can switch.

has to be a non-friendly game for the senior side, so U23 doesn't count. Being on the bench and not starting also doesn't count. Some say that's exactly why Pulisic was brought in for one of the qualifying games back in March.

Also, i think one can make a one time switch even if s/he has played for the senior side in a non-friendly. Not too sure about this rule though

Zlatan knows....

hehe :)

out of curiosity, where did the Zlatan knows meme come from?

In that case Fabio would be perfect, along with Trap!
Plus, Italian suits are far nicer than German/Eastern European cuts.

My understanding was that it was less a language issue and more a total disdain for US soccer, on Pekerman's part.

Yes, there is that ego thing, too.

well, Van Gaal is revered in the Republic of Korea, so...

opps. I swear i know that not all Dutchmen look the same. I hear Guus Hiddink may be out of a job

cadence90
06-28-2016, 06:01 PM
has to be a non-friendly game for the senior side, so U23 doesn't count. Being on the bench and not starting also doesn't count. Some say that's exactly why Pulisic was brought in for one of the qualifying games back in March.

Also, i think one can make a one time switch even if s/he has played for the senior side in a non-friendly. Not too sure about this rule though
Thanks. That makes sense.

hehe :)
out of curiosity, where did the Zlatan knows meme come from?
I really don't know, but I do have a guess:
echappist: "Out of curiosity, where did the "Zlatan knows" meme come from?"
Zlatan: "Only God knows."
echappist: "It's kind of hard to ask him."
Zlatan: "Why? You're looking at him now."

well, Van Gaal is revered in the Republic of Korea, so...

opps. I swear i know that not all Dutchmen look the same. I hear Guus Hiddink may be out of a job
Dang, that's mean. ;)
That's almost as mean as brownhound comparing Italians to Germans or even Eastern Europeans. :eek:

cadence90
06-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Speaking of players and nations, wow. :o :( :mad:
Sad story.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/players-soccer-dream-becomes-an-immigration-nightmare-174603029.html

goonster
06-28-2016, 11:55 PM
haha, perhaps overstating Girouxs talents as I'm a fan of both France and the Gunnars. But I do enjoy his play, and don't think fans understand the intangibles he brings.

This long-time Emile Heskey* fan understands.

(* = Leicester!)

cadence90
06-29-2016, 12:22 AM
haha, perhaps overstating Girouxs talents as I'm a fan of both France and the Gunnars. But I do enjoy his play, and don't think fans understand the intangibles he brings.

This long-time Emile Heskey* fan understands.

(* = Leicester!)

Heskey, man oh man.

The King of The "Intangibles".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-tagn3lB3I
(MCFC content NRSFW, lads) :)

wc1934
06-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Rumors of Klinsman going to England - it almost seems like an insult to England - the US gives them our reject coach. First Brexit, then Brexit the sequel (losing to Iceland), and then getting Kilnsman. Can't get much worse for them. They hit the Brexit trifecta!

goonster
06-29-2016, 09:57 AM
Rumors of Klinsman going to England

Day 1:

"Bring me a list of Bundesliga players with English grandfathers!"

brownhound
06-29-2016, 10:01 AM

Almost - a player is cap-tied once they play in an official match (i.e., non-friendly) for the senior team. Also, a player is cap-tied if they played at any level in an official competition (e.g., U-17 World Cup) if he/she was ineligible to play for another nation when that occurred. So you're correct about Pulisic not being cap-tied until playing in a world cup qualifier, for example, because he was eligible for both the US and Poland when he'd appeared in official youth US matches.

If a player is eligible for two national teams and played in official youth matches, then that player can make a one-time switch. But not if the player has played for the senior national team in an official competition for the nation for which he has played. This is the route, say, Fabian Johnson took to be eligible for the US since he'd played for German national youth teams. So, in other words, Pulisic couldn't now ask for a switch to play for Poland but he could've until he played in that qualifier with the US senior national team.

brownhound
06-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Rumors of Klinsman going to England - it almost seems like an insult to England - the US gives them our reject coach. First Brexit, then Brexit the sequel (losing to Iceland), and then getting Kilnsman.

I'll believe it when I see it.

He might be a good match for England actually. They seem a team in need of a self-identity overhaul and that's what he's all about: self-belief, offense-first, etc. The English believe, correctly or not, that their players are very good and what they need is someone to get them marching in the right direction. Juergen is the kind of guy who has a whistle in front of the parade.

US fans are a little underwhelmed by Klinsmann's performances at this point, but to the world the US is punching above its weight. Arguably the US won a tougher WC2014 group than England, which didn't even advance out of its group. And though the US was abysmal in the semi vs. Argentina, making it that far is seen as a solid result. England would happily take semis at the Euros.

kevinvc
06-29-2016, 10:18 AM
US fans are a little underwhelmed by Klinsmann's performances at this point, but to the world the US is punching above its weight. Arguably the US won a tougher WC2014 group than England, which didn't even advance out of its group. And though the US was abysmal in the semi vs. Argentina, making it that far is seen as a solid result. England would happily take semis at the Euros.

That sentiment is not shared by a lot of US soccer fans. He's not a tactician or much of a game manager, but those aren't the qualities that he tries to sell. Overall, I would say our frustration boils down mainly to three things: 1) overly Eurocentric outlook and disdain for MLS players, 2) failure to develop next generation of players, 3) playing guys outside of their natural position.

The first 2 wouldn't be as much of a factor if he was coaching a Euro team with players in their prime who are in a "win now" mentality. The 3rd is just something you have to live with if Klinsman is your coach.

echappist
06-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Rumors of Klinsman going to England - it almost seems like an insult to England - the US gives them our reject coach. First Brexit, then Brexit the sequel (losing to Iceland), and then getting Kilnsman. Can't get much worse for them. They hit the Brexit trifecta!

Herr Klinsmann is a legend at Tottenham. I'm sure he's well regarded over there.

Almost - a player is cap-tied once they play in an official match (i.e., non-friendly) for the senior team. Also, a player is cap-tied if they played at any level in an official competition (e.g., U-17 World Cup) if he/she was ineligible to play for another nation when that occurred. So you're correct about Pulisic not being cap-tied until playing in a world cup qualifier, for example, because he was eligible for both the US and Poland when he'd appeared in official youth US matches.

If a player is eligible for two national teams and played in official youth matches, then that player can make a one-time switch. But not if the player has played for the senior national team in an official competition for the nation for which he has played. This is the route, say, Fabian Johnson took to be eligible for the US since he'd played for German national youth teams. So, in other words, Pulisic couldn't now ask for a switch to play for Poland but he could've until he played in that qualifier with the US senior national team.

chapeau; thanks for that explanation. Just one minor quibble, Pulisic was eligible for Croatia.

That sentiment is not shared by a lot of US soccer fans. He's not a tactician or much of a game manager, but those aren't the qualities that he tries to sell. Overall, I would say our frustration boils down mainly to three things: 1) overly Eurocentric outlook and disdain for MLS players, 2) failure to develop next generation of players, 3) playing guys outside of their natural position.

he's great at the technical aspects, just not as good with game management. He also doesn't disdain MLS players given just how many he's played, including some real head scratchers (Wondo and off-form Bradley for starters). Not sure about the second assessment either as the U.S. has a solid crop of youngsters coming up. That third one is the one thing i don't like, though.

echappist
06-29-2016, 07:22 PM
back on topic. Prediction time.

Poland over Portugal
Belgium over Wales in AET
Italy over Germany
France over Iceland in AET

wc1934
06-29-2016, 07:41 PM

The first 2 wouldn't be as much of a factor if he was coaching a Euro team with players in their prime who are in a "win now" mentality. The 3rd is just something you have to live with if Klinsman is your coach.

I think you are exactly right - He was so upset with Donovan for staying with MLS that he didn't even include him on the 23 man roster for the WC in Brazil- Instead he took a number 5(?) of German-Americans. He was upset that Bradley left Roma for Toronto, Dempsey left Tottenham for Seattle, his "fight" with Garber, etc. So, with that mentality, I don't see how he could promote internal youth development.

wc1934
06-29-2016, 07:43 PM

Poland over Portugal
Italy over Germany

OH, I hope so. Especially your 3rd prediction!!!!
I'm getting nervous already.

tuscanyswe
06-29-2016, 07:46 PM

Poland over Portugal
Italy over Germany

I agree except for the first game. Think portugal will prevail unfortunately, dont care for them much. Pepe is perhaps my all time least favorite player ever even tho he is very good.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 02:05 PM
I agree except for the first game. Think portugal will prevail unfortunately, dont care for them much. Pepe is perhaps my all time least favorite player ever even tho he is very good.

1-0 poland in 2nd min. God i hope my above prediction is wrong woohoo go poland! .)

Still enough matches for lewy to redeem himself in this Euro.

echappist
06-30-2016, 02:39 PM
well, Portugal just tied the game...

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 02:43 PM
well, Portugal just tied the game...

Yeah quite a good game. Petty about the portugal goal cause i believe poland could have done some damage on the counters. Now portugal can go back to playing their boring safe game :/

Sanches brought his best boots today it seems. Looks intense and quite good so far idd. (Bayern Munich doing some nice business as per usual signing him and hummels allrd) Ronaldo is just "falling" down as per usual.

echappist
06-30-2016, 02:53 PM
that was as literal a dive as i've ever seen (around the 40th minute). and no calls?

cadence90
06-30-2016, 02:58 PM
I really hope POL win today. But they do need to attack more.

Ibra to MUFC. Between him + Mou, and Pep + SuperMario (since nobody will take him now), Manchester has become the official world capitol city of trolliganism.

MUFC have also signed Mkhitaryan, who is going to be great imo, and are going after Draxler.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 03:01 PM

Ibra to MUFC. Between him + Mou, and Pep + SuperMario (since nobody will take him now), Manchester has become the official world capitol city of trolliganism.

Ibra to manu is the best thing to happen EPL in a decade lol okay so I'm a fan.

Gotta love that genius tall cooky troll tho! :)
I mean how can you not.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzrZOeVM6Gc

R3awak3n
06-30-2016, 03:03 PM
PORTUGALLLLLLLL OLEEEEEEE

Sanchez is going to be a really good player, bayern just bought him and right now they are all going :banana:

Really sad that you all hate Portugal. :crap:

R3awak3n
06-30-2016, 03:04 PM
also that was a penalty on Ronaldo but I know why he didn't call it... Ronaldo did that to himself over the years.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 03:06 PM
PORTUGALLLLLLLL OLEEEEEEE

Sanchez is going to be a really good player, bayern just bought him and right now they are all going :banana:

Really sad that you all hate Portugal. :crap:

I dont hate portugal. But pepe and Ronaldo aint my favorite players. Pepe done some bad stuff over the years imo. Ronaldo is just a bit full of himself but obviously crazy skilled. Portugal are a very good team they just play a bit to calculating to really get sucked in to imo.

echappist
06-30-2016, 03:06 PM

i thought Balotelli was washed up?

or is supermario one of the Germans (Gomez or Goetze)

cadence90
06-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Ibra to manu is the best thing to happen EPL in a decade lol okay so I'm a fan.

Gotta love that genius tall cooky troll tho! :)
I mean how can you not.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzrZOeVM6Gc
Oh, definitely. I don't like his persona but he's an amazing player. I do like his persona far more that CR7's though. Or Rooney's.

Between he and Mou, there will be so much priceless material. :)

If you speak/understand Italian, check youtube for "Crozza Maurinho". Maurizio Crozza is an amazing comedian (well, more than that) who does incredible impersonations of troll celebrities, including Mou (who they had to name Maurinho, obviously). Fantastic stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crozza+maurinho

cadence90
06-30-2016, 03:15 PM
i thought Balotelli was washed up?

or is supermario one of the Germans (Gomez or Goetze)

He (Balo) is 100% washed up. He was loaned to AC Milan last year, but did nothing. So now he has to go back to MCFC, who own his contract and are desperately trying to unload him. Nobody wants him. What a waste of a potentially great, great career.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 03:18 PM
I dont hate portugal. But pepe and Ronaldo aint my favorite players. Pepe done some bad stuff over the years imo. Ronaldo is just a bit full of himself but obviously crazy skilled. Portugal are a very good team they just play a bit to calculating to really get sucked in to imo.

This.
Except substitute "enormously, way too" for "a bit".

goonster
06-30-2016, 03:23 PM
So now he has to go back to MCFC

That is not the acronym for Liverpool Football Club.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 03:29 PM
That is not the acronym for Liverpool Football Club.

Right. Brain cramp on my part. :o
Too much of that "Ooooooooooooo Balotelli" chant in my head.

To protect myself from further brain cramps:
Balotelli has been on loan to AC Milan, where he did absolutely nothing, and now has to return to the team that owns his contract, where he also did absolutely nothing.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Wish i understood italian but sadly i dont.

Balo is/was truly a wasted career idd. Bit sad actually.

Milan have done some really crappy business the last decade. Well okay ibra and silva were obviously amazing despite the cost but i can't think of a single other player who they bought who really took of. Im sure there are one or 2 more that escapes me but most players they brought in feelt like 2nd tier players.

I get they have limited funds but how did it ever get so bad? Some must not have been doing their jobs very well for quite some time..

Letting pirlo go to juve so he could mastermind them into multiple scudettos over an age related club principle? etc etc

cadence90
06-30-2016, 03:45 PM
A truly wasted career idd. Bit sad actually.

Milan have done some really crappy business the last decade. Well okay ibra and silva were obviously amazing despite the cost but i can't think of a single other player who they bought who really took of. Im sure there are one or 2 more that escapes me but most players they brought in feelt like 2nd tier players.

I get they have limited funds but how did it ever get so bad? Some must not have been doing their jobs very well for quite some time..

Letting pirlo go to juve so he could mastermind them into multiple scudettos over an age related club principle? etc etc
Completely wasted. Even more than Cassano, I think.

Milan's problems start at the very top, with Berlusca and Galliani.
This club took Dugarry instead of Zidane! :eek:
Took Davids, who was a disaster there, then flourished at Juve.
Oliveira; a bunch of other duds.
Let Pirlo go, as you said. Head-scratcher of the decade.
Etc., etc.
Plus tons of managers. Just a badly run club.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 03:45 PM
And CR7 muffs another major tournament golden opportunity, as per usual.

echappist
06-30-2016, 03:54 PM
i'll try to refrain from schadenfreude

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 04:02 PM
And CR7 muffs another major tournament golden opportunity, as per usual.

He has missed a lot this tournament yet Portugal are still alive and kicking. Seems to me Madrid and Portugal often lets him of the hook when he is having bad days, so wouldn't surprise me if they go to the finals still and Ronaldo scores a meaningless winning goal like the 3-1 or something and is then hailed as the best footballer ever and at the same time equaling platinis EC record or even besting it. :)

cadence90
06-30-2016, 04:11 PM
He has missed a lot this tournament yet Portugal are still alive and kicking. Seems to me Madrid and Portugal often lets him of the hook when he is having bad days, so wouldn't surprise me if they go to the finals still and Ronaldo scores a meaningless winning goal like the 3-1 or something and is then hailed as the best footballer ever and at the same time equaling platinis EC record or even besting it. :)

:D
So true.

I really wonder if his teammates even enjoy playing with him, or are just so tired of all the flubs followed by prima-donna whining.

R3awak3n
06-30-2016, 04:16 PM
This.
Except substitute "enormously, way too" for "a bit".

he also does tons of good stuff for kids and other community work. But people just see the bad stuff.

Also he had 2 chances here, disapointing, this is the stuff he can always put in.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 04:31 PM
he also does tons of good stuff for kids and other community work. But people just see the bad stuff.

Also he had 2 chances here, disapointing, this is the stuff he can always put in.

But he doesn't put it in.

If he wasn't buying Greek islands for his agent, he could do even more good work.

Portugal is one of my favorite countries in the world, and several of my favorite architects are Portuguese. I would gladly live in Porto.
On the football side, I just am not so fond of CR7. I did love Figo.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 04:32 PM

Going to be an exciting end to this one. Can you take a penalty shot out?
I can't stand them if I'm seriously routing for one of the teams.

Ofc he aint a really bad person he just makes it so easy to mock him, ronaldo that is.. agreed he usually puts chances like these away no doubt.

Sanches will be another great portugesse player! After Zlatan we have zero chance of even getting close to a really good player let alone one of the worlds best. Going to feel a bit empty with him gone but i will so enjoy his last hurra in England.

Best of luck in the pks.

echappist
06-30-2016, 04:33 PM
im taking Poland in the PK

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 04:34 PM
im taking Poland in the PK

I will take whoever goes first. Best odds.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 04:40 PM
I hate PKs.

Great save, wow.

Congratulations POR, even if I still hate PKs.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Well congrats Portugal i guess!

Still won only 2 games thus far. This one on pens the other in extra time. Dont really feel worthy tbh.

echappist
06-30-2016, 04:46 PM
I will take whoever goes first. Best odds.

sage words

R3awak3n
06-30-2016, 04:55 PM
almost had a heart attack but I am still here.

Lets all be honest, this was a fair result. Portugal played better.

I really hate PKs though. I think Portugal has a great chance of being in the finals this year but they need to pick it up if they have any chance of winning this.

And yeah Renato Sanches will most likely be the next big Portuguese player. Smart to start him this time around, I bet he will be starting the next game as well. Love the guy

Anarchist
06-30-2016, 04:56 PM
I don't think they have a hope of beating Belgium.

R3awak3n
06-30-2016, 04:57 PM

ahaha, I would not be so sure about that.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 04:57 PM

I really hate PKs though. I think Portugal has a great chance of being in the finals this year but they need to pick it up if they have any chance of winning this.

You have played pretty well all through the Euros imo. You just haven't gotten the results. This is usually a good sign. Getting through without playing your best is often what makes or brakes a champion + you are on the right side of the board this time. Not getting Fra Ita Ger before the final is a big brake and you seem to have that bit of luck or rather lack of bad luck perhaps is better phrasing.

Best of luck.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 05:03 PM

And yeah Renato Sanches will most likely be the next big Portuguese player. Smart to start him this time around, I bet he will be starting the next game as well. Love the guy
Against BEL, playing like this? No chance. So, yes, they need to play much better/more consistently/smarter than they have.
I don't think either team played better today, and neither team played well enough to be scary in their next match.

Sanches does look like a great talent, but only time will tell.

Yes, even with BEL missing some great players they are the better team so far between the two.

But, come on: how fun would it be for Wales to win, and so have CR7-Bale petulantly tiff it out on the field? :D

echappist
06-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Yes, even with BEL missing some great players they are the better team so far between the two.

But, come on: how fun would it be for Wales to win, and so have CR7-Bale petulantly tiff it out on the field? :D

;):hello:

R3awak3n
06-30-2016, 05:23 PM
I do think that this side of the group is not getting the credit they deserve. Poland did extremely well in the euro qualifiers and Croatia is a great team.

Yes Ger, Ita, Fra are good but so are most of the teams still in the tournament.

cadence90
06-30-2016, 05:38 PM
With all due respect, I think there is really no comparison between the two sides of the bracket.

tuscanyswe
06-30-2016, 05:40 PM
I do think that this side of the group is not getting the credit they deserve. Poland did extremely well in the euro qualifiers and Croatia is a great team.

Yes Ger, Ita, Fra are good but so are most of the teams still in the tournament.

Both Poland and Croatia are good teams no doubt, esp croatia imo. But I dont agree even so. Its always going to be (or at least for a forseeable future) a lot harder going out on the pitch vs those "big" teams than say Poland regardless if Poland has better players and even better tactics perhaps. Its just not the same imo. You are starting the game with a big mental disadvantage against Ger Ita Fra etc. And that means a lot in these circumstances. They also have a history of doing exactly what is needed and not much more at a given stage whilst "lesser" nations do a lot better early in tournaments and qualification. I have no doubt Germany would have won against Poland if their future tournament dependent upon it (tho those 2 nations know each other pretty well).

Anarchist
06-30-2016, 05:40 PM
I would like to see Wales beat Belgium only because it would be damn much fun reading the Sun afterwards.

England losing out and Wales in the Semi's ....

It would be absolutely beautiful.

R3awak3n
06-30-2016, 05:43 PM
It has been a great Euro so far, I will leave it at that but I will say that I do agree with a lot of what yall saying :)

echappist
07-01-2016, 02:03 PM
have a suspicion that Wales may be able to exploit the inexperienced back 4 of Belgium. i think Belgium can pull through, but it's a 55:45 sort of deal

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 02:06 PM
have a suspicion that Wales may be able to exploit the inexperienced back 4 of Belgium. i think Belgium can pull through, but it's a 55:45 sort of deal

Those are very generous odds for the welsh imo. I would have guessed 65 - 35 but they have the nothing to loose thing going for them whilst the belgians I'm sure feel they should and must win this and finally take the step that their players should have been able to take long ago considering their qualities.

goonster
07-01-2016, 02:14 PM
Those are very generous odds for the welsh imo.

Sounds about right, based on performance in this tournament.

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Sounds about right, based on performance in this tournament.

Hmm i take your point but dont agree .)

echappist
07-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Hmm i take your point but dont agree .)

held Belgium scoreless on two previous occasions. and it's tied;)

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 02:38 PM
held Belgium scoreless on two previous occasions. and it's tied;)

And looking like the better team atm.
Belgium is starting to be more n more like england in international tournaments .)

Cant score and let of the gas, when has that ever worked for anyone but italy who seem to have no issues switching on / off like most other teams.

cadence90
07-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Oh man, is Fellaini coming on? :eek:

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 03:04 PM
Oh man, is Fellaini coming on? :eek:

Not a fan .) ?

Wonder if his role at United isn't partly done for now with ibra signing.

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Omg thats an insane goal! Really really lovely

cadence90
07-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Not a fan .) ?

Wonder if his role at United isn't partly done for now with ibra signing.
How do I say this politely?.......NO. :)

He's awful.

Omg thats an insane goal! Really really lovely

Damn, that was such a great goal.
Did the announcer just call that a "Cruyff-turn"?
Whatever turn it was, it was fantastic.

Go Dylan Thomases!!! :D

cadence90
07-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Wow.

This is amazing.

Goal of the tournament?

echappist
07-01-2016, 03:44 PM
holy s***!!! The goal was exquisite, but that pass to Gunter was also quite good. To be fair, Belgium deserved a free kick at the 18yard, and Ashley Williams fouled Naingollan (sp.) in the penalty area

Too bad they won't have the service of Ramsey and a few others.

BBC announcer is doing his best impression of the Iceland announcer

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Again a nice goal.
This gets me thinking. Can we get island vs wales in the finals .D

Football is so hard to predict. We are a group slightly short of a 100 ppl who put a few dollars down and then predict every game and match until the final. 2 years ago i won when we did the World Cup. Now I'm actually next to last or similar.
It does feel like lottery at times which is perhaps a big part of why so many loves it.

cadence90
07-01-2016, 03:45 PM
holy s***!!!

Too bad they won't have the service of Ramsey and a few others.

Definitely too bad.
This is great stuff though.

R3awak3n
07-01-2016, 03:46 PM
so what were you guys saying about Belgium?
:eek:

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 03:49 PM
so what were you guys saying about Belgium?
:eek:

:rolleyes: :hello:

R3awak3n
07-01-2016, 03:51 PM
:rolleyes: :hello:

I did not watch the game though but just glanced at the score and was :eek:

echappist
07-01-2016, 03:53 PM

the game was better than the score would indicate. Talk about a team.

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 03:54 PM

Was a good game actually. Wales deserved to go through for sure.

echappist
07-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Again a nice goal.

Football is so hard to predict. We are a group slightly short of a 100 ppl who put a few dollars down and then predict every game and match until the final. 2 years ago i won when we did the World Cup. Now I'm actually next to last or similar.
It does feel like lottery at times which is perhaps a big part of why so many loves it.
yes please

cadence90
07-01-2016, 03:58 PM
the game was better than the score would indicate. Talk about a team.

Was a good game actually. Wales deserved to go through for sure.

Yes and yes.

Oh, the love to come! :D

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/Gareth-Bale_Cristiano-Ronaldo_zpszj0e8ued.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/traghetter/media/Gareth-Bale_Cristiano-Ronaldo_zpszj0e8ued.jpg.html)

That will be fun!

echappist
07-01-2016, 04:00 PM
and Robson-Kanu probably won't be a free agent for too much longer

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Yes and yes.

Oh, the love to come! :D

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/Gareth-Bale_Cristiano-Ronaldo_zpszj0e8ued.jpg (http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/traghetter/media/Gareth-Bale_Cristiano-Ronaldo_zpszj0e8ued.jpg.html)

That will be fun!

Haha yeah i forgot about that. Lol that print is so true, its sad really.

cadence90
07-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Again a nice goal.

You do not deserve to have "tuscany" as part of your name.
Not even "tuscan" nor "tusca" nor "tusc" nor "tus" nor "tu" nor even "t"....

FORZAZZURR!

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 04:09 PM
You do not deserve to have "tuscany" as part of your name.
Not even "tuscan" nor "tusca" nor "tusc" nor "tus" nor "tu" nor even "t"....

FORZAZZURR!

Haha barely a swe either. I dont mind italy showing up, that works for me. They have played the best football so far as well imo.

cadence90
07-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Haha barely a swe either. I dont mind italy showing up, that works for me. They have played the best football so far as well imo.

Really? But you love Ibra. I thought you were Swedish, also with the backgrounds of your beautiful Merlin.
English?

Italy have been playing great, but I am so nervous for tomorrow, already. Tomorrow morning will be awful. I don't know; I just really hope they can beat Germany again.

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 04:32 PM
Really? But you love Ibra. I thought you were Swedish, also with the backgrounds of your beautiful Merlin.
English?

Italy have been playing great, but I am so nervous for tomorrow, already. Tomorrow morning will be awful. I don't know; I just really hope they can beat Germany again.

Oh yeah I'm a swede. I just dont feel like it when I'm watching football. I dont really connect with swedish football. If it wasn't for the big man i dont think id watch em tbh.

Me like many other swedes do not cheer for a special club anymore we just follow z around the world .) Its pathetic but we can't help ourselves..

cadence90
07-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah I'm a swede. I just dont feel like it when I'm watching football. I dont really connect with swedish football. If it wasn't for the big man i dont think id watch em tbh.

Me like many other swedes do not cheer for a special club anymore we just follow z around the world .) Its pathetic but we can't help ourselves..

I see. I guess there are really no powerhouse Swedish club teams.

Ibra is obviously the man now, but you have had some great players. I really liked Henrik Larsson, Dahlin, Brolin, Ravelli.

tuscanyswe
07-01-2016, 05:02 PM
I see. I guess there are really no powerhouse Swedish club teams.

Ibra is obviously the man now, but you have had some great players. I really liked Henrik Larsson, Dahlin, Brolin, Ravelli.

Yeah that team of 94 when we took the bronze in the world cup was amazing. Very good players on every position, genuine team spirit like island or wales but with great talent also on every position. I mean Ljung - Brolin, Schwarz, Thern, Ingesson with limpar etc on the bench in midfield alone.. golden generation.

Ravelli is funny cause he was sort of a failure before 94 and lots of ppl thought it was the wrong decision to have him as our first keeper back then. After that cup tho.. not so many complained.

Mzilliox
07-01-2016, 06:34 PM

How did Sweden feel about Henrick Larsson? He was always one of my favorites. i was at the game in the world cup when Sweden won the 3rd place game. Larsson was given the green light to attack, and attack he did.
i see he was mentioned above, him and Brolin were my faves from that side. that fast start free kick from Brolin for the goal was classic

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 03:41 AM
How did Sweden feel about Henrick Larsson? He was always one of my favorites. i was at the game in the world cup when Sweden won the 3rd place game. Larsson was given the green light to attack, and attack he did.
i see he was mentioned above, him and Brolin were my faves from that side. that fast start free kick from Brolin for the goal was classic

Most of course love him. He was a great player and some still perhaps have him as the best ever in swedens national team but that is mostly down to them not being able to stand the cockiness of Zlatan .) Henrik is not an all bad coach these days and his son who is now 19 or similar is looking quite promising as a player. Brolin obviously also a great footballer just had some bad luck with injuries.

You saw that game live, nice i so wish i did! Was a great game and i will probably never have a better footballing memory.

cadence90
07-02-2016, 02:10 PM
:help:

ITA (3-5-2):
Buffon

Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini

Sturaro, Giaccherini
Florenzi, Parolo, De Sciglio

Pellè, Eder

Gomez

Müller, Özil

Hector, Kroos, Khedira, Kimmich

Hummels, Boateng, Höwedes

Neuer

GER (3-4-2-1):

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 03:18 PM
:help:

ITA (3-5-2):
Buffon

Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini

Sturaro, Giaccherini
Florenzi, Parolo, De Sciglio

Pellè, Eder

Gomez

Müller, Özil

Hector, Kroos, Khedira, Kimmich

Hummels, Boateng, Höwedes

Neuer

GER (3-4-2-1):

I really like chess.

cadence90
07-02-2016, 03:23 PM
I really like chess.

This match has been almost as boring/tense as chess.
Great defense, though, and a few better occasions for ITA.

cadence90
07-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Merda.... :mad: :(

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Merda.... :mad: :(

Yeah they r a rook down now :/

cadence90
07-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Yeah they r a rock down now :/
Ans a hard place too.
GER are controlling everything now, in front and in back.

Conte needs to get Insigne in asap.

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 03:37 PM
ans a hard place too.
Ger are controlling everything now, in front and in back.

Conte needs to get insigne in asap.

mortimer we are back!

cadence90
07-02-2016, 03:38 PM
mortimer we are back!

Ladies and gentlemen, Signore Mortimer Bonucci! :)

cadence90
07-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Uffa....

I hate PKs, even if these are the two best goal-keepers in the world.

Why did Schweinsteiger choose to shoot from the Italian end, with ITA also shooting first? :confused:

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Uffa....

I hate PKs, even if these are the two best goal-keepers in the world.

Ita won both coinflips lets c if they can also win the 3rd that counts..

cadence90
07-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Ita won both coinflips lets c if they can also win the 3rd that counts..

Man, too much pressure on Zaza, who entered the game with 30 seconds to go....

BUFFON!

Ouch Pellè. Terrible.
Ouch Bonucci. Terrible.
Ouch Schweini. Awful stuff here.

This is killing me.

Merda. Merda. Merda. :crap:
Letting Zaza shoot was absolutely a huge error.

Oh, well...FORZA ISLAND!

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Omg so many poor penalties !!

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Well that sux :/

cadence90
07-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Omg so many poor penalties !!

Well that sux :/

Yes it does.
That was just awful.

I hope these guys win it all now.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a5/Iceland_FA.png/120px-Iceland_FA.png

Gsinill
07-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Thank God!
It wasn't about this particular game...
Had the Germans lost again, it would have turned into a real spell.
The fact that players like Müller and Schweinsteiger perform so poorly in a PK is a perfect reflection of their mental state playing the Italians - no matter how often Jogi Löw says/said otherwise.

From now on it will be a piece a cake ;)

cadence90
07-02-2016, 06:07 PM
The fact that players like Müller and Schweinsteiger perform so poorly in a PK is a perfect reflection of their mental state playing the Italians - no matter how often Jogi Löw says/said otherwise.

Even 1 bad Müller + 1 bad Ozil + 1 bad Schweinsteiger are not nearly as bad as 1 bad Zaza. He took truly awful PKing to a new level today.

Call Me Twinkletoes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KM3Wl4cro) :eek: :o

Gsinill
07-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Even 1 bad Müller + 1 bad Ozil + 1 bad Schweinsteiger are not nearly as bad as 1 bad Zaza. He took truly awful PKing to a new level today.

Call Me Twinkletoes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6KM3Wl4cro) :eek: :o

Well, I don't get it - the ESPN commentators presented it the other way: that Conte brought him in exactly for that reason.
Not really following La Serie A, is he normally a good at it?

cadence90
07-02-2016, 07:10 PM
Well, I don't get it - the ESPN commentators presented it the other way: that Conte brought him in exactly for that reason.
Not really following La Serie A, is he normally a good at it?

Zaza is normally very good at PKs, which is why Conte inserted him.

But you really cannot have a guy come in at 1:19:30 of 1:20:00, with no time on the field, and have his first touch be a pressure-packed PK.

On the other hand, 3 of ITAs best PK takers were unable to play today, so...that's the way it goes.

Still, that ridiculousness is 100% on Zaza. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

tuscanyswe
07-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Zaza is normally very good at PKs, which is why Conte inserted him.

But you really cannot have a guy come in at 1:19:30 of 1:20:00, with no time on the field, and have his first touch be a pressure-packed PK.

On the other hand, 3 of ITAs best PK takers were unable to play today, so...that's the way it goes.

Still, that ridiculousness is 100% on Zaza. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Yeah i agree. Conte gets half the blame for the result but omfg what is he doing lining up to that shot? Thats such a clown move. Wasn't ready for the massive pressure he was put under in that scenario.

echappist
07-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Oh man, looks like i was wrong about Giroud... That first strike, though slightly off-side, was a great goal

cadence90
07-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Iceland are fried at this point.
I think you were right the first time, in that he's still over-rated.

ITA may be out, but the quotes of the weekend belong to them.
Yesterday:
Balotelli, at the Liverpool training ground: "I threw away a few years, but I will win the Ballon d'Or."
(Only if 'Steve 'n' Kenny's You'll Never Walk Alone Fish 'n' Chips' offer Guinness in replica mugs.)
:rolleyes:

Today:
Zaza, on TV: "I let Italy down, but I really surprised Neuer."
(Uh, not only Neuer, lad.)
:rolleyes:

goonster
07-05-2016, 09:44 AM
From David Squires (https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2016/jul/05/david-squires-on-euro-2016-reaching-the-semi-final-stage)

Mzilliox
07-05-2016, 10:07 AM

Zlatan knows....

I'm sorry, is there a Zlatan in the tourney? Calling Ibra, Ibra??? oh, hes still watching. I only see a Giroux... and he just made my words look good!
And the Greizman goal was pure genius.
Go France!

goonster
07-05-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm sorry, is there a Zlatan in the tourney?

Well, there was, yes.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ihgyjNI3L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

cadence90
07-05-2016, 06:55 PM
From David Squires (https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2016/jul/05/david-squires-on-euro-2016-reaching-the-semi-final-stage)
You should see all the memes on Gazzetta dello Sport. Absolutely merciless even after 3 days.

I'm sorry, is there a Zlatan in the tourney? Calling Ibra, Ibra??? oh, hes still watching. I only see a Giroux... and he just made my words look good!
And the Greizman goal was pure genius.
Go France!
"One thing that is for sure is that Giroux and Griezmann are not the Zlatan, so it is for sure that they are not great.
One thing that is for sure is that France is not the Zlatan, so it is for sure that France is not great.
One thing that is for sure is that if you are French you are not the Zlatan, and so it is for sure that you cannot possibly know the greatness that is the Zlatan. Or, to be more precise, the Zlatan that is the greatness.
One thing that is for sure is that a tourney without the Zlatan is nothing to watch.
One thing that is for sure is that if the Zlatan is watching a tourney the only great thing about that tourney is for sure to watch the Zlatan watching the tourney.
Ainsi parlait le Zlatan.
Also sprach der Zlatan.
Thus spake the Zlatan."

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Wales really can't win this whole thing...can they?

Mzilliox
07-05-2016, 06:59 PM
You should see all the memes on Gazzetta dello Sport. Absolutely merciless even after 3 days.

"One thing that is for sure is that Giroux and Griezmann are not the Zlatan, so it is for sure that they are not great.
One thing that is for sure is that France is not the Zlatan, so it is for sure that France is not great.
One thing that is for sure is that if you are French you are not the Zlatan, and so it is for sure that you cannot possibly know the greatness that is the Zlatan. Or, to be more precise, the Zlatan that is the greatness.
One thing that is for sure is that a tourney without the Zlatan is nothing to watch.
One thing that is for sure is that if the Zlatan is watching a tourney the only great thing about that tourney is for sure to watch the Zlatan watching the tourney.
Ainsi parlait le Zlatan.
Also sprach der Zlatan.
Thus spake the Zlatan."

haha perfect

cadence90
07-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Wales really can't win this whole thing...can they?
I would love for them to win it all, but I think they have too many injuries, etc. Ramsey is a huge loss,
If not them, then FRA.

haha perfect
"The only one who knows for sure the meaning of that adjective is the Zlatan,
But the Zlatan, being perfect, forgives you, Just this one time."

echappist
07-05-2016, 08:35 PM
i think Wales has a decent shot of beating Portugal. Their midfield will surely miss Ramsey, but it's not Ramsey and a bunch of scrubs either

cadence90
07-05-2016, 09:00 PM
I really hope so, 3-0 on a Bale hat trick.

Also, to anyone reading this thread who is of Argentine extraction, you have a decent shot at being an Olympian this summer. Martino has resigned as coach and practices have been cancelled because they only have 12 players so far. What a disaster.

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Portugal has made the semis despite having never, yanno, having had a lead in the tournament. I think Wales is a shoe-in for the final even without Ramsay.

France seems like the only team that actually wants to win the darn thing.

R3awak3n
07-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Portugal has made the semis despite having never, yanno, having had a lead in the tournament.

football doesn't work like that though. Many times in world and Euro, teams did nothing until the final. I am betting on Portugal beating Wales.

Germany will beat France.

Portugal - Germany final but I would prefer a Portugal - France final.

It will be hard for Portugal to win against either Wales, Ger or Fra but its about time they get an Euro. Its too bad cuz I like Wales but they got to go :o

FlashUNC
07-05-2016, 09:48 PM
football doesn't work like that though. Many times in world and Euro, teams did nothing until the final. I am betting on Portugal beating Wales.

Germany will beat France.

Portugal - Germany final but I would prefer a Portugal - France final.

It will be hard for Portugal to win against either Wales, Ger or Fra but its about time they get an Euro. Its too bad cuz I like Wales but they got to go :o

Yeah, but its tough to survive on PKs every single match. Luck runs out eventually.

BobC
07-06-2016, 05:40 AM
Portugal is nowhere as good as they think they. Only thing working for they is Ramsey is out, which is huge (I'd argue he is as important as Bale. He drives that midfield).

Coin flip in my book. Prob goes to PKs. Ronaldo preens and complains regardless of the result. Unhappy Portugal fans demand "Pexit."

Germany - France should be a great match. As good as France looked against Iceland, they looked vulnerable against Ireland.

Lowe will tweak the German starting 11 again, negating Payet & the Greaseman. Germany wins it. Unhappy French fans demand "Frexit."

echappist
07-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Portugal is nowhere as good as they think they. Only thing working for they is Ramsey is out, which is huge (I'd argue he is as important as Bale. He drives that midfield).

Coin flip in my book. Prob goes to PKs. Ronaldo preens and complains regardless of the result. Unhappy Portugal fans demand "Pexit."

Germany - France should be a great match. As good as France looked against Iceland, they looked vulnerable against Ireland.

Lowe will tweak the German starting 11 again, negating Payet & the Greaseman. Germany wins it. Unhappy French fans demand "Frexit."

or Departugal

note, i'm nowhere near that clever to have come up with that one

goonster
07-06-2016, 01:11 PM
France to win the final against Wales.

cadence90
07-06-2016, 02:51 PM
What a yawner so far.

R3awak3n
07-06-2016, 03:08 PM
GOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO

He has been sleeping, till he is not.

R3awak3n
07-06-2016, 03:10 PM
and another one..... GOOOOLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!

cadence90
07-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Double up for your Portuguese grandma!

The second (Nani) goal was kind of crappy, but man, the first one...CR really is amazing in the air. His timing and force are perfect.

R3awak3n
07-06-2016, 03:16 PM

The second (Nani) goal was kind of crappy, but man, the first one...CR really is amazing in the air. His timing and force are perfect.

he really is. nice precision. He knows he can't play like before and he has been working on different skills.

Well, I am pretty happy right now.

cadence90
07-06-2016, 03:45 PM
he really is. nice precision. He knows he can't play like before and he has been working on different skills.

Well, I am pretty happy right now.

Have you ever watched this video?
If not, it is well worth the 45 minutes.
The stuff he does in the pitch-black dark, lights on/off to test his reaction time, is incredible.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested To The Limit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSL-gPMPVXI)

I don't like his ego act, but his skills are undeniable.

R3awak3n
07-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Have you ever watched this video?
If not, it is well worth the 45 minutes.
The stuff he does in the pitch-black dark, lights on/off to test his reaction time, is incredible.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested To The Limit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSL-gPMPVXI)

I don't like his ego act, but his skills are undeniable.

Don't think I have, will watch now.

Portugal is in the final. Bring on France or Germany. :banana::banana::banana:

cadence90
07-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Don't think I have, will watch now.

Portugal is in the final. Bring on France or Germany. :banana::banana::banana:

I hope you enjoy it. I thought it was good. They show a lot of his skills/training.

I have no more hounds in this fight, so I hope POR beat either one of those other teams.

Gsinill
07-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Darn!
I have no problem seeing CR7 winning but Pepe on the other hand... :(

Waldo
07-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Nani's goal was off a pass, Ronaldo wasn't shooting. Not crappy at all.

cadence90
07-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Nani's goal was off a pass, Ronaldo wasn't shooting. Not crappy at all.

I didn't say it was a crappy Ronaldo shot. I know it was a pass, and I think Nani's finish was kind of crappy.

Waldo
07-06-2016, 04:50 PM
I didn't say it was a crappy Ronaldo shot. I know it was a pass, and I think Nani's finish was kind of crappy.

^^^ A man who is hard to please :-)

Not much you can do when you barely reach the ball.

R3awak3n
07-06-2016, 05:11 PM
I hope you enjoy it. I thought it was good. They show a lot of his skills/training.

I have no more hounds in this fight, so I hope POR beat either one of those other teams.

I actually have watched it but watched it again. Pretty impressive/very interesting.

Tomorrows game is going to be very good and it will be a tough adversary for Portugal but us Portuguese people never relent. Not going to lie though, most people in Portugal are surprised we are in the final, no one was sure of this coach and team.

cadence90
07-06-2016, 05:26 PM
^^^ A man who is hard to please :-)

Not much you can do when you barely reach the ball.
That's right, only happy when ITA win. :)

Kidding: I thought CR7's goal was sublime, just perfect and really beautiful.
The Nani goal less so, also on the part of the Wales defense.
It makes no difference, but I was a bit surprised that the announcers thought the Sanches was offside, but not part of the play. He looked pretty close to the play to me, but maybe it was just the TV angle.

I actually have watched it but watched it again. Pretty impressive/very interesting.

Tomorrows game is going to be very good and it will be a tough adversary for Portugal but us Portuguese people never relent. Not going to lie though, most people in Portugal are surprised we are in the final, no one was sure of this coach and team.
Pretty good stuff, for sure. The shots through the glass panes were absurd.

I have no idea who will win tomorrow, but it will be a war.
I think the winner will also win the final, but my preference would be:
1. POR
2. FRA
3. GER

I don't know much about the POR coach, Santos, but why were/are people not sure of him? His resumè seems pretty good.

Waldo
07-06-2016, 06:10 PM
I agree completely that the Sanches dummy was critical to the goal. Hell, one could argue that if Hennessey had his arms up he would have stopped Ronaldo's header. :beer:

Rooting for the frogs tomorrow to help them further heal from Charlie Hebdo.

R3awak3n
07-06-2016, 06:22 PM
That's right, only happy when ITA win. :)

Kidding: I thought CR7's goal was sublime, just perfect and really beautiful.
The Nani goal less so, also on the part of the Wales defense.
It makes no difference, but I was a bit surprised that the announcers thought the Sanches was offside, but not part of the play. He looked pretty close to the play to me, but maybe it was just the TV angle.

Pretty good stuff, for sure. The shots through the glass panes were absurd.

I have no idea who will win tomorrow, but it will be a war.
I think the winner will also win the final, but my preference would be:
1. POR
2. FRA
3. GER

I don't know much about the POR coach, Santos, but why were/are people not sure of him? His resumè seems pretty good.

Not sure why the Portuguese are not so sure of Santos. He is definitely a good coach but Portuguese are very critical of themselves (aka other Portuguese people). I said that because its what the commenters were saying in the game (I watched a Portuguese feed from the public channel).

Santos did say he was going to come home after the final to which people laughed but now he will definitely be going back to Portugal only next week.

Portuguese defense did ok without Pepe but for next game we will need Pepe, like him or not he is a great player and one of the reasons Portugal is in the finals... He played a great game against Croatia.

cadence90
07-06-2016, 06:42 PM
I agree completely that the Sanches dummy was critical to the goal. Hell, one could argue that if Hennessey had his arms up he would have stopped Ronaldo's header. :beer:

Rooting for the frogs tomorrow to help them further heal from Charlie Hebdo.
And Bataclan, too.
I think I would actually be pretty afraid to attend the final, sadly, even though the security will be massive.

Not sure why the Portuguese are not so sure of Santos. He is definitely a good coach but Portuguese are very critical of themselves (aka other Portuguese people). I said that because its what the commenters were saying in the game (I watched a Portuguese feed from the public channel).

Santos did say he was going to come home after the final to which people laughed but now he will definitely be going back to Portugal only next week.

Portuguese defense did ok without Pepe but for next game we will need Pepe, like him or not he is a great player and one of the reasons Portugal is in the finals... He played a great game against Croatia.
He has to be better than Bento.

Will Pepe be fully fit?

R3awak3n
07-06-2016, 07:35 PM
And Bataclan, too.
I think I would actually be pretty afraid to attend the final, sadly, even though the security will be massive.

He has to be better than Bento.

Will Pepe be fully fit?

I am not sure, Portuguese TV was talking about it but no confirmation. And absolutely better than Bento.

summilux
07-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Good God the Germans pushed hard. France was hanging on, a few great saves. The penalty was a true gift, but hey a gift is a gift.

cadence90
07-07-2016, 03:33 PM
Good God the Germans pushed hard. France was hanging on, a few great saves. The penalty was a true gift, but hey a gift is a gift.
Schweinsteiger's gift?
That was a clear handball.

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2016/07/07/Calcio/Foto%20Gallery/5d5523693c35f4229d0f6a706700e50b-038_mediagallery-page.jpg

Wow, Greizy.

summilux
07-07-2016, 03:58 PM
Gift as is a massive brain-fart from an experienced player.

cadence90
07-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Gift as is a massive brain-fart from an experienced player.

Oh, now I understand.
Definitely that. Even his teammates look like they are saying, "What??? You idiot!"

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2016/07/07/Calcio/Foto%20Gallery/2016-07-07T194904Z_110922544_MT1ACI14473288_RTRMADP_3_SOCC ER-EURO-GER-FRA_mediagallery-page.jpg

echappist
07-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Germany surely missed the presence of a true striker. Kimmich kept on streaking down the flanks to cross the ball in, and there was no one to hit it home or knock it down for a teammate. Exercise in futility.

Impressive how the French bent but didn't break.

Waldo
07-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Oh, now I understand.
Definitely that. Even his teammates look like they are saying, "What??? You idiot!"

http://images2.gazzettaobjects.it/methode_image/2016/07/07/Calcio/Foto%20Gallery/2016-07-07T194904Z_110922544_MT1ACI14473288_RTRMADP_3_SOCC ER-EURO-GER-FRA_mediagallery-page.jpg

He deserves another yellow for that hair.

cadence90
07-07-2016, 04:36 PM
He deserves another yellow for that hair.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JAnBW_TrwXQ/hqdefault.jpg

"Hey, did you hear what Waldo thinks of Schweini's -do?"

wc1934
07-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Oh, now I understand.

Rizzoli - at least there was one Italian on the pitch.

Gummee
07-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Germany couldn't seem to buy a break

M

Mzilliox
07-07-2016, 08:20 PM
And the French are in the final!!!

Waldo
07-08-2016, 01:21 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JAnBW_TrwXQ/hqdefault.jpg

"Hey, did you hear what Waldo thinks of Schweini's -do?"

Straight red to Ronaldo. Zlatan is banned from national team play forthwith (;-))

Red Tornado
07-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Germany couldn't seem to buy a break

M

Ya, not in the 2nd half. Couldn't put anything good together. They had to be seriously rattled. Everyone makes a bonehead move every once-in-a-while, and there's never a "good" time to do it, but that was an extraordinarily bad time to do it. German press is going to have a field day with Schweinsteiger.
I'll be rooting for Portugal, now that my fav team is out.

On another note..... I watched the game yesterday evening and stayed away from social media all day since I knew I wouldn't have a chance to watch live. NBC Sports plays an advert for the Portugal vs. France final during half-time of the Germany vs. France SEMIFINAL!! Really???
#SMH

cadence90
07-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Rizzoli - at least there was one Italian on the pitch.
The only way we get on, I guess.... :crap:

Straight red to Ronaldo. Zlatan is banned from national team play forthwith (;-))

http://level3.soccerladuma.net/cms2/image_manager/uploads/InlineFanPark/3483/26/1426657219_221a7.png

"I completely agree! Wait, wait, does that mean Waldo is going to ban me too?" *

* Jeez, soccer has some really bad hairstyles.

goonster
07-08-2016, 02:53 PM
That was a clear handball.

It's not just about hand contact. In this case, only one of the criteria, i.e. "unnatural position," is met, while the others (intent, hand-to-ball movement, opportunity to avoid contact) are not.

I can see why it's given, but it's not a slam dunk.

Waldo
07-08-2016, 02:57 PM
And now we know the real reason Balotelli wasn't on the team.

The only way we get on, I guess.... :crap:

http://level3.soccerladuma.net/cms2/image_manager/uploads/InlineFanPark/3483/26/1426657219_221a7.png

"I completely agree! Wait, wait, does that mean Waldo is going to ban me too?" *

* Jeez, soccer has some really bad hairstyles.

cadence90
07-08-2016, 03:14 PM
And now we know the real reason Balotelli wasn't on the team.

:D

Wow, Balo's -do looks positively choir-boy compared to these guys.
Did they not know that there are these things called cameras, and the internet?

:eek: Waldo's :eek: Top :eek: 27 :eek: -Dos :eek: (https://www.buzzfeed.com/keenan/27-worst-haircuts-in-soccer?utm_term=.nsLyR85YY#.hyR7ZLrBB)

wc1934
07-08-2016, 06:29 PM
The only way we get on, I guess.... :crap

If you said before the tourney that the quarterfinals would come down to pk's against Germany I would take that bet (after all, we have Buffon).
If you then said that during the pk's Germany would miss 3 times, I would have bet my house.
Man, don't know what to say - still trying to get over that game - they didn't get any respect going in (underdogs - weren't even supposed to get out of their group), but they showed their passion, togetherness, toughness and pride for the national shirt!
Forza Italia.

cadence90
07-08-2016, 08:57 PM
If you said before the tourney that the quarterfinals would come down to pk's against Germany I would take that bet (after all, we have Buffon).
If you then said that during the pk's Germany would miss 3 times, I would have bet my house.
Man, don't know what to say - still trying to get over that game - they didn't get any respect going in (underdogs - weren't even supposed to get out of their group), but they showed their passion, togetherness, toughness and pride for the national shirt!
Forza Italia.
Same here. To "lose" like that really hurts.

summilux
07-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Predictions? I'm not really sure how to call this. But everytime Ronaldo is on the screen I want to throw my beer at him. So let's say France 2-1. Ronaldo does a Rooney impersonation.

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 01:48 PM
3-1 France. Giroud gets 2 goals to top his countryman for the golden boot?

Allez le Bleu!!!!

cadence90
07-10-2016, 01:52 PM
FRA: 3 (one on a Griezy PK)
POR: 1 (Sanches)

Moths: 250,000 (apparently St. Denis has been invaded by moths)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnBcxb7W8AAky4J.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnBc5H4XYAAivo5.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnBczcaWIAA_itm.jpg

wc1934
07-10-2016, 01:55 PM
...........But everytime Ronaldo is on the screen I want to throw my beer at him...... Ronaldo does a Rooney impersonation.

Yes, yes, yes - the 2 crybabies of modern football.

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Spain is in trouble, France looks hungry so far 5 minutes in. much stronger in midfield

Joxster
07-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Allez Les bleus

I'm playing the I've lived there card, slept with a good few French women, wine rack is 92% French and don't get started on cheese.

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Portugal is playing so bad Ronaldo got a cramp in his uhhhh well, hes kind of a pussy...

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Allez Les bleus

I'm playing the I've lived there card, slept with a good few French women, wine rack is 92% French and don't get started on cheese.

I'm playing the I'm half French card... and yes, wine... and cheese:beer:

eBAUMANN
07-10-2016, 02:21 PM
anyone have a good live stream link they could share?

cadence90
07-10-2016, 02:26 PM
anyone have a good live stream link they could share?http://atdhe.se/soccer/stream-g7he5-portugal-vs-france

Poor CR7.
Karma is a drama queen.

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 02:26 PM
anyone have a good live stream link they could share?

I borrowed my dads DirectTV sign in to watch on espn.com, is that an option for you?

vav
07-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Spain is playing so bad Ronaldo got a cramp in his uhhhh well, hes kind of a pussy...
France must be really good playing Spain and Portugal at the same time ;-)

Joxster
07-10-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm playing the I'm half French card... and yes, wine... and cheese:beer:

My sister was married to the French rugby coach, who then went on to have an affair with a work college of mine. He was a professor of English and she was his student, we were working together and over a bottle or five of wine the conversation became interesting. It was a "good" night ;)

cadence90
07-10-2016, 02:59 PM
I borrowed my dads DirectTV sign in to watch on espn.com, is that an option for you?

Same here (my brother's login), but man Bob Ley is such a clown (like 99.99% of ESPN's "experts"). :rolleyes:

What an inept first half by FRA.

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 03:07 PM
France must be really good playing Spain and Portugal at the same time ;-)

haha woops, close enough:beer:

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Same here (my brother's login), but man Bob Ley is such a clown (like 99.99% of ESPN's "experts"). :rolleyes:

What an inept first half by FRA.

they couldn't get on the same page, but 2 or 3 good chances, and didn;t allow Portugal much at all. Good move to get Payet out, he was dull. Mistake to not bury Portugal when hey had em on the ropes a bit. time will tell

cadence90
07-10-2016, 03:20 PM
they couldn't get on the same page, but 2 or 3 good chances, and didn;t allow Portugal much at all. Good move to get Payet out, he was dull. Mistake to not bury Portugal when hey had em on the ropes a bit. time will tell

Well, they should be on the same page for a final.
Finally Coman. Maybe he'll energize the bland attack.

Pogba being quoted at 123M Euro transfer + 15M Euro/year salary to ManU. That's crazy (Mino Raiola typically despicably crazy like a fox, though). He is really over-rated imo.

Griezy...what the hell? :crap:

Giroud...what the hell? :crap:

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Agreed Pogba is overrated, should consider subbing him to energize the attack, hes not been involved, often the ball is hitting that space behind the strikers and nobody from France in that space? Coman is a refreshing change, so many close chances, so little to show for it.

Allez le Bleu! get em with a golden goal!:beer:

R3awak3n
07-10-2016, 03:57 PM
look I am suffering here.

But Portugal has been playing good D. Only way to win is through PKs.

France is real good, fast, very precise. Lets go!

R3awak3n
07-10-2016, 03:58 PM
Portugal is playing so bad Ronaldo got a cramp in his uhhhh well, hes kind of a pussy...

come on my friend, get real. I am sure he is psyched for having to leave in the Euro final.

edit: all love but I am suffering ehre ahha

Mzilliox
07-10-2016, 04:04 PM
come on my friend, get real. I am sure he is psyched for having to leave in the Euro final.

edit: all love but I am suffering ehre ahha

Its always unfortunate when a good player is lost to an injury, i was just giving him a hard time. hes not my favorite human in the world though.