PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Landis finds his highest and best use

bthornt
06-24-2016, 11:38 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/floyd-landis-starts-cannabis-product-business-in-colorado/

berserk87
06-24-2016, 11:46 AM
He looks like Kid Rock's evil twin, so starting up a doobage shop makes sense.

weisan
06-24-2016, 11:49 AM
"According to a press release obtained by Cyclingnews, Landis plans to specialize in products containing cannabis oil sourced from high altitude growers using an industry leading, pharmacy grade CO2 extraction process."

Speaking from experience no doubt...

mg2ride
06-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Good Luck to Floyd!

He could very well end up making a lot of money on this endeavor.

If ever in CO I'll try some.

cdn_bacon
06-24-2016, 12:19 PM
there's certainly money in it.

good for him.

ultraman6970
06-24-2016, 01:03 PM
He sells a bubble gum called "the flying dutchman," and a weed called "high class mountain".

Tony T
06-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Is he using a "Fund Me" account to raise capital? ;)

Macadamia
06-24-2016, 02:11 PM
gone from using to pushing

dont do drugs kids

redir
06-24-2016, 02:26 PM
He's just getting back to his mountain biking roots ;)

azrider
06-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Is he using a "Fund Me" account to raise capital? ;)

+100

I wonder how much of the $50 I lent him during his town hall meeting is being used as "seed" money

Pun f'ing intended

loser (not because of the dope thing....but because he stole money from me)

Tony T
06-24-2016, 05:23 PM
+100

I wonder how much of the $50 I lent him during his town hall meeting is being used as "seed" money

Pun f'ing intended

loser (not because of the dope thing....but because he stole money from me)

Under the terms of his settlement, you will be repaid:

In August 2012, after months of closed-door negotiations, Landis entered a deferred prosecution agreement in a San Diego federal court that compelled him to repay donors of the Floyd Fairness Fund.

The deferred prosecution agreement was for three years, with his exposure to criminal charges erased if he complied with its terms. He did, and the case was quietly dismissed by U.S. Magistrate Judge Jan M. Adler on Friday.

Landis, though, must continue repaying donors, however long it takes

According to court records, Landis has paid just $10,000 of the original $478,354 in restitution.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/aug/26/cycling-floyd-landis-lawsuit-san-diego-restitution/

tiretrax
06-24-2016, 05:52 PM
I was in Leadville earlier this month and heard about his plans to make cannabis infused products. He's a dork, but the money is there. I was amazed (and saddened) by the number of marijuana related businesses that I saw in Colorado.

malbecman
06-24-2016, 06:06 PM
There is a TON of money being made in the CO pot industry. Almost $1 billion in sales in 2015 with $135 in tax revenues and other fees. The state is not going to give that up.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/11/marijuana-billion-dollars-colorado/

Mr. Pink
06-24-2016, 06:23 PM
I was in Leadville earlier this month and heard about his plans to make cannabis infused products. He's a dork, but the money is there. I was amazed (and saddened) by the number of marijuana related businesses that I saw in Colorado.

How do you feel driving by local bars and liquor stores? Especially since they may be selling the booze that enables a road death nearby, either another driver, passenger, cyclist, or pedestrian? That happens a lot, you know. Were quickly approaching the most deadly holiday weekend on America's roads, July 4. Happy cycling! Watch out for those stoners.

Edit: btw, just read the other day that, after a few years of legal weed in Co., traffic accidents are not up, and teenage use is maybe a tad down.

azrider
06-24-2016, 06:56 PM
Although I don't consider it my "news" outlet of choice :);):D, CNN had a great documentary on this topic specific to Colorado and how they're managing $1B that is STILL recognized as a crime "federally" speaking

http://www.cnn.com/shows/high-profits

Dave B
06-24-2016, 07:40 PM
I am ambivalent about Landis at this point and think he is smart to get into the pot business now. If/When it becomes decriminalized nation wide, folks who got in early are going to be filthy rich.

I wonder how long it will be. Shame good old Bernie didn't fair better or it would be happening sooner rather than later.

tiretrax
06-24-2016, 07:40 PM
How do you feel driving by local bars and liquor stores? Especially since they may be selling the booze that enables a road death nearby, either another driver, passenger, cyclist, or pedestrian? That happens a lot, you know. Were quickly approaching the most deadly holiday weekend on America's roads, July 4. Happy cycling! Watch out for those stoners.

Edit: btw, just read the other day that, after a few years of legal weed in Co., traffic accidents are not up, and teenage use is maybe a tad down.

I don't drink, so it doesn't occur to me. But, it's well known that the thc is many times stronger than when I was a teen and pot is a gateway drug - leading to lsd, heroin, etc. Pot is not legal in my State, but there is a huge problem with teens in my area starting with pot and getting into harder stuff. That's documented, not an opinion.

tiretrax
06-24-2016, 07:42 PM

I don't drink, so it doesn't occur to me. But, it's well known that the thc is many times stronger than when I was a teen and pot is a gateway drug - leading to lsd, heroin, etc. Pot is not legal in my State, but there is a huge problem with teens in my area starting with pot and getting into harder stuff. That's documented, not an opinion.

I realize the marijuana industry is worth billions to those States that have legalized it, but it's still illegal under federal law. The preemption clause states that the federal law prevails, so it's not legal anywhere. If you want to get alcohol banned, you'll get no argument from me. I've seen it ravage plenty of family and friends.

peanutgallery
06-24-2016, 07:52 PM
As a pot business owner in CO its cash only, no? No banking from what I understand

Guess they'll have to create the High Times Union de Crédit or whatever

Mr. Pink
06-24-2016, 08:26 PM

I realize the marijuana industry is worth billions to those States that have legalized it, but it's still illegal under federal law. The preemption clause states that the federal law prevails, so it's not legal anywhere. If you want to get alcohol banned, you'll get no argument from me. I've seen it ravage plenty of family and friends.

I think the last time I heard that argument was from Nancy Reagen in, what, 1986. How antiquated. Total fail. And not documented. Well, scientifically. I'm sure there are zillions of sources from sites with agendas on the internet that you can link to. Don't bother.
It's been a few years. Disaster has not fallen on Colorado. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most vibrant and dynamic places to live in the western U.S. today. It's not Zombieland, trust me. Oh, and Washington state, too. They aren't slobbering on sidewalks and running amuck, either.
The true gateway drug to heroin has been doctor prescribed pain killers, like Oxycotin. That's why so may communities have people of all ages and colors, urban and rural, now hooked on smack. They can't afford Oxy, so they go to cheap heroin. Look it up.

Get used to legal weed. It will slowly become legal nationwide, unless some Neanderthal like Ted Cruz becomes president.

Mr. Pink
06-24-2016, 08:28 PM
As a pot business owner in CO its cash only, no? No banking from what I understand

There are a few companies taking credit cards. I assume that so much cash has been sloshing around since legalization, that a local banking system has been created with all that capital. It's in it's infancy.

CunegoFan
06-24-2016, 10:32 PM
Good Luck to Floyd!

Floyd is doing more than just selling his own brand. He set up a white label business to produce branded weed products for other businesses.

SoCalSteve
06-24-2016, 11:25 PM

Documented by who? Gateway drug? Seriously? :eek::confused::eek::confused:

dgauthier
06-24-2016, 11:58 PM
There is a TON of money being made in the CO pot industry. Almost $1 billion in sales in 2015 with $135 in tax revenues and other fees. The state is not going to give that up.

Only $135 in taxes on One Beellion?? They must be high...

mg2ride
06-25-2016, 05:41 AM

Not sure which part you are claiming to not be an "opinion" but the part about pot being a gateway drug is complete B.S.

Did damn near every heroin addict smoke pot at some point? Of course! That does not mean there is a cause/affect relationship.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2016, 05:52 AM

Since banks are federally regulated, no weed biz. They have been trying to set up a credit union type place round here but again, fed regs make it tough.

Depending on November election, I'd be real careful about getting into pot biz. A lot of property and $ could be seized. still illegal at the federal level.

soulspinner
06-25-2016, 06:18 AM

At first the places were being robbed as they put money in safes on the premises.

LegendRider
06-25-2016, 07:33 AM
He has a good sense of humor...

https://twitter.com/FloydLeadville/status/746392962112851968

malbecman
06-25-2016, 01:29 PM
Only $135 in taxes on One Beellion?? They must be high...

Ok, it was a typo. The state of CO made $135 MILLION in taxes and licensing, etc. Comparable to a typical sales tax rate. They could probably tax it at a higher rate.

To put it in comparison, the state made more $$ off pot sales than alcohol.
That makes a lot of other states sit up and notice.

tiretrax
06-25-2016, 05:07 PM
I think the last time I heard that argument was from Nancy Reagen in, what, 1986. How antiquated. Total fail. And not documented. Well, scientifically. I'm sure there are zillions of sources from sites with agendas on the internet that you can link to. Don't bother.
It's been a few years. Disaster has not fallen on Colorado. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most vibrant and dynamic places to live in the western U.S. today. It's not Zombieland, trust me. Oh, and Washington state, too. They aren't slobbering on sidewalks and running amuck, either.
The true gateway drug to heroin has been doctor prescribed pain killers, like Oxycotin. That's why so may communities have people of all ages and colors, urban and rural, now hooked on smack. They can't afford Oxy, so they go to cheap heroin. Look it up.

Get used to legal weed. It will slowly become legal nationwide, unless some Neanderthal like Ted Cruz becomes president.

Ridicule me if you want, but the vibrancy of the economies of Colorado and Washington are more driven by the energy and tech sectors. Yes, there has been an initial influx of capital and a new sector developed, but it's not the driver by any means. The reason it doesn't seem like zombieland is because of the far larger sector that's participating in the larger economy.

I volunteered at a drug rehab center, so that's where my information and observations come from. I've seen my friends' and neighbors' kids fall into the same vortex that some of my high school classmates fell into. It was sad to see the results.

To each his own. If you want to think it's legit, then all the power to you. Just because it's a trend doesn't make it a good thing. I should have known better than to express an opinion here.

OtayBW
06-25-2016, 05:29 PM
...pot is a gateway drug - leading to lsd, heroin, etc. Whoo Hoo! Wowie! And Holy Smokes!! (I mean Cow!) Haven't heard that in a while!

Likes2ridefar
06-25-2016, 07:47 PM
Ridicule me if you want, but the vibrancy of the economies of Colorado and Washington are more driven by the energy and tech sectors. Yes, there has been an initial influx of capital and a new sector developed, but it's not the driver by any means. The reason it doesn't seem like zombieland is because of the far larger sector that's participating in the larger economy.

I volunteered at a drug rehab center, so that's where my information and observations come from. I've seen my friends' and neighbors' kids fall into the same vortex that some of my high school classmates fell into. It was sad to see the results.

To each his own. If you want to think it's legit, then all the power to you. Just because it's a trend doesn't make it a good thing. I should have known better than to express an opinion here.

Im sure none of those kids ever took a sip of alcohol.

peanutgallery
06-25-2016, 08:09 PM
IMHO, pot is the equivalent of beer, wine and spirits - in need of some local rules but not jail time for possession or whatever. No one is really beating the drum for that. Think of it in the same terms as indian gambling or going to a legal gun range. Coke, heroin, crank, meth are something else entirely. Folks that get there do not need pot to find it. They have addictive personalites and other self destructive things hard wired, but they are also a bit sociopathic and will tell you whatever you want about how they got there. Pot is a good excuse for many. Addicts suffer and I get that, just don't believe anything they say

parco
06-25-2016, 08:22 PM
Isn't Floyd a Mennonite? Is this sort of thing cool with those folks. (Any more than PED's?)

CunegoFan
06-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Isn't Floyd a Mennonite? Is this sort of thing cool with those folks. (Any more than doping?)

Floyd's family are Mennonites. Him? Not so much.

peanutgallery
06-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Think child labor, arranged marriages for barely pubescent girls and puppy farms. They'll do just about anything to make a living. The whole anabaptist scene isn't so bucolic

Isn't Floyd a Mennonite? Is this sort of thing cool with those folks. (Any more than PED's?)

Satellite
06-25-2016, 11:08 PM

I don't see how it could be possible for teen use to be down. If you are saying it's because pot is legalized you have to be 21 to legally buy pot in Colorado. I for one am NOT down with the pot thing! But seems very fitting for Floyd.

Tony T
06-26-2016, 08:13 AM
And how did they determine "teenage use"? Did they just ask them? ;)

PQJ
06-26-2016, 08:22 AM

Pot is not a gateway drug.

PQJ
06-26-2016, 08:26 AM
IMHO, pot is the equivalent of beer, wine and spirits - in need of some local rules but not jail time for possession or whatever. No one is really beating the drum for that. Think of it in the same terms as indian gambling or going to a legal gun range. Coke, heroin, crank, meth are something else entirely. Folks that get there do not need pot to find it. They have addictive personalites and other self destructive things hard wired, but they are also a bit sociopathic and will tell you whatever you want about how they got there. Pot is a good excuse for many. Addicts suffer and I get that, just don't believe anything they say

There are big differences between pot and alcohol. Starting with the fact that alcohol is very physically addictive, has resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths, and has no known medical benefits.

malcolm
06-26-2016, 08:48 AM
There are no "gateway" drugs there is addictive personalities. Sure most every addict smoked pot at some point but every one that became addicted to heroin there are thousands that didn't even try it. The numbers just don't hold up under scrutiny and I didn't think had been seriously used as an argument since reefer madness.

Someone mentioned oxycontin leading to heroin use and I do believe there is support for that but honestly it's not oxycontin, which is just a long acting version of oxycodone it's really more regular old hydrocodone good old lortab now norco that has lead many to heroin. Prescriptions drug abuse is a huge problem. The drugs themselves are not bad and not to blame they do what they are developed to do. It's inappropriate use by physicians (I am one) and patients that have created the problem.

I think prohibition should serve some lessons here. The slippery slope argument like the gateway drug argument has become weak and tired. Legalize it and tax it.

As an ER doc for many years in the highest volume ED in my state I saw every version of drug issue both prescription and illicit that you can imagine. I don't recall every seeing and isolated marijuana issue in the ER beyond the occasional kid that got high felt weird and panicked and went to the ER. Almost every serious injury, stupid stunt gone bad you name it had other substances involved as well and usually alcohol.
Criminal incidents that wound up with ED patients were almost always alcohol, cocaine/crack and meth/speed.

Tony T
06-26-2016, 09:04 AM
There are big differences between pot and alcohol. Starting with the fact that alcohol is very physically addictive, has resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths, and has no known medical benefits.

I have not found alcohol to be physically addictive.
I drink in the summer, and by November I rarely have a drink till April (except for the holidays).

Alcohol does have medical benefits. It has been shown to reduce risk of heart disease and stroke.

choke
06-26-2016, 09:17 AM
You guys have it all wrong; the real gateway drug is.........milk! Every one of those addicts started out on milk before they moved on to the harder stuff.

gdw
06-26-2016, 09:35 AM
Our fire departments have been kept busy since legalization. Some of our dimmer stoners are using butane to extract hash oil from legal weed and have blown up their homes, apartments, or hotel rooms in the process. More than a few have ended up in the emergency room with severe burns.

malcolm
06-26-2016, 11:18 AM
Our fire departments have been kept busy since legalization. Some of our dimmer stoners are using butane to extract hash oil from legal weed and have blown up their homes, apartments, or hotel rooms in the process. More than a few have ended up in the emergency room with severe burns.

During my ER time my hot water heater exploded was code for the meth lab blew up. I bet I saw that scenario at least once a month the last 5 years of my ER practice.

Hawker
06-27-2016, 04:00 PM
“The therapeutic uses for cannabis can't be ignored. For years I relied on opioid pain relievers to treat my hip pain. With cannabis, I find that I can manage my pain and have a better quality of life. We need to give people a safer alternative,”

Please give me a break. I sincerely doubt "pain relief" is Floyd's primary motive. Sad.

Blown Reek
06-27-2016, 04:36 PM
You can always tell who are the ninnies that are clutching their pearls and falling back on their Reefer Madness fallacies in threads like this.

Keep repeating the scientifically disproven drivel, sheep. Any thinking person that thinks that marijuana is in any way as harmful than alcohol should keep thinking that way. And keep preaching 'cause a kid of a friend did something bad, and the Devil's Weed is to blame.

Don't confuse me with facts, dammit!

Dave B
06-27-2016, 04:38 PM
If it was legal here in Indiana or even for medical purposes I would use it.

I have the world's worst IBS and there has been a lot of information I have read about how pot can manage not only that, but a spastic colon (also a fun treat I get to deal with) and if that stuff could help me control my IBS then I am all for it.

I do not think it is a miracle drug, but with alcohol and tobacco being legal, it just stinks of big business keeping this stuff illegal.

SoCalSteve
06-27-2016, 04:52 PM
If it was legal here in Indiana or even for medical purposes I would use it.

I have the world's worst IBS and there has been a lot of information I have read about how pot can manage not only that, but a spastic colon (also a fun treat I get to deal with) and if that stuff could help me control my IBS then I am all for it.

I do not think it is a miracle drug, but with alcohol and tobacco being legal, it just stinks of big business keeping this stuff illegal.

I think I remember that you are a school teacher, yes? Or, I could be way off the mark. If you are, do you get drug tested tested? Or , for that matter, for whatever job you have, do you get drug tested?

If not, I would think a drive to Colorado ( or any other State where weed is legal for recreation use or medical ) and get yourself some of that medicine. Life is too short to go on living with health issues like you have.

If I am off the mark or it's another reason altogether ( morally or whatever ) than I apologize in advance!

Good luck to you!!!

Dave B
06-27-2016, 06:44 PM
I think I remember that you are a school teacher, yes? Or, I could be way off the mark. If you are, do you get drug tested tested? Or , for that matter, for whatever job you have, do you get drug tested?

If not, I would think a drive to Colorado ( or any other State where weed is legal for recreation use or medical ) and get yourself some of that medicine. Life is too short to go on living with health issues like you have.

If I am off the mark or it's another reason altogether ( morally or whatever ) than I apologize in advance!

Good luck to you!!!

Yes you are right I am a teacher and yes we get drug tested, so that and prison are why I do not smoke pot. I am sure I could get away with it, but I don't want to risk losing my license. teachers have weird rules we have to "live" by.

As soon as my daughter leaves for college...she has like 6 years, I am guessing we will move. Colorado is on the short list, but two teachers living AND being able to afford living in CO sounds difficult from what i have researched.

However a trip to Colorado to pick up some or enjoy the visit sounds fantastic!

Maybe in a few years time it will be legal here and not an issue. But alas no Bernie in the white House, so it might take a bit longer. Hell the farmers in Indiana would make a killing growing that stuff here.

johnniecakes
06-27-2016, 07:10 PM
Think child labor, arranged marriages for barely pubescent girls and puppy farms. They'll do just about anything to make a living. The whole anabaptist scene isn't so bucolic

Truly Ignorant !!!

I suggest you learn a little bit about the millions of honorable Mennonites before you slam an entire group. Sure there are a few bad apples, you know, the kind who write untrue crap about others.

cfox
06-27-2016, 09:08 PM
I am ambivalent about Landis at this point and think he is smart to get into the pot business now. If/When it becomes decriminalized nation wide, folks who got in early are going to be filthy rich.

I wonder how long it will be. Shame good old Bernie didn't fair better or it would be happening sooner rather than later.

No, the folks who got in early will be stomped like bugs by big companies. It's a plant than anyone or entity can grow with water and a grow light, hardly any franchise value. The little guys will just be put out of business.

54ny77
06-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Marlboro will introduce a spin on their timeless ad campaign. Henceforth they shall be named "Marlboro Men."

http://images.firstcovers.com/covers/flash/c/cheech_and_chong-615781.jpg?i

No, the folks who got in early will be stomped like bugs by big companies. It's a plant than anyone or entity can grow with water and a grow light, hardly any franchise value. The little guys will just be put out of business.

peanutgallery
06-27-2016, 10:30 PM
Many live in the area, its a cult

Truly Ignorant !!!

I suggest you learn a little bit about the millions of honorable Mennonites before you slam an entire group. Sure there are a few bad apples, you know, the kind who write untrue crap about others.

soulspinner
06-28-2016, 08:34 AM

Or better bought out with the land, which is finite.

ColonelJLloyd
06-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Yes you are right I am a teacher and yes we get drug tested. .

Interesting. Randomly? Public school? Secondary education?

Likes2ridefar
06-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Interesting. Randomly? Public school? Secondary education?

My wife is public and wasn't even tested before being hired.

bostondrunk
06-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Floyd is a total douchebag.
Not because he doped, I got no problem with that, but because he took everyone's money to pay for his lies, both through donations, and his stupid book he published. Until he pays back every penny plus interest, I have no desire to see him succeed in anything.

Sierra
06-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Please refer to a phenomenon known as the, French Paradox.

doomridesout
06-28-2016, 10:34 AM
To earlier comments regarding banking and taxation of this industry:

Banking is still extremely difficult for these businesses. Only six banks are willing to serve cannabis businesses in Colorado, and in Oregon, only a single regional bank is willing to serve cannabis businesses. The DOJ released a memo saying they would not pursue banks which serve cannabis businesses, but that doesn't change the fact that doing so is a federal crime at the moment. Most banks are too worried about the exposure if the priorities at DOJ were to change.

Federal tax code section 280E has been a huge stumbling block for cannabis business. Locally lawful businesses like medical marijuana dispensaries had to pay taxes on GROSS revenues for a long time. Recent tax cases reformed the case law interpretation of this code to mean that cost of goods sold could be deducted, as well as ordinary and necessary business expenses pertaining to other sales, such as paraphenalia, t-shirts, etc. It's still on the books and is a long way to go before cannabis businesses are taxed fairly at a federal level.

I was just at a big conference for this stuff last week so I learned a lot about these issues from some very knowledgeable people.

I wish Floyd the best of luck in his new venture, and if you got scammed at the town hall meeting, you should too! He might make a buck or two out of it.

Dave B
06-28-2016, 10:35 AM
My wife is public and wasn't even tested before being hired.

When I was hired in 2001 I had to sign some sort of morality clause and one of the things on there was that we could be tested if there was a strong reason to suspect. I think that still applies, but honestly I do not know. I hear about high school students being randomly tested and they have to put their name into a "pool" to be tested if they want to be able to drive to school.

I don't know if any of this still holds true as I teach much younger kids and don't really tune into the "drug culture" in Indiana. I remember hearing there was some pot church in Indianapolis, but that was a couple of years ago. To be honest i have read that the big problem in our state is meth and that we make huge amounts of it in Indiana. I work with a lot of cops in my studies on school safety and through DARE and pot is not mentioned much at all. Harder substances are big (lots of rich kids) and the money is bigger for the dealers with coke, meth, heroine, etc.

ColonelJLloyd
06-28-2016, 10:46 AM
Surprised you're not aware of Austin, Indiana. No bueno.

Dave B
06-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Wow, just googled that and to be honest I had no idea. Crazy stuff!

TimD
06-28-2016, 01:25 PM
As for the comparisons to alcohol:

As a relative of mine likes to ask, "Ever seen two stoned guys get in a fight?"

redir
06-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Wow, just googled that and to be honest I had no idea. Crazy stuff!

Yeah that is crazy. I used to live right outside of Scotsburg very close to there. Kind of a depressing place but real pretty to.

Of course the problem there is prescription and legal drugs not a plant that grows in your back yard.

SoCalSteve
06-28-2016, 04:47 PM

Crazy that an entire town is pretty much known for one thing...a huge outbreak of HIV due to an illegal drug being injected.

Dave B
06-28-2016, 05:20 PM
I think the thing that gets me is the argument that Pot is dangerous and should never be made illegal and some of the substances we have "legal" today that cause worse damage.

Tobacco, Alcohol, prescription drugs, and so on.

I know big business is behind it, but it just fascinates me what we consider dangerous and what we think is perfectly ok.

Tony T
06-28-2016, 06:10 PM
More dangerous than the above is the unchecked right to buy a semi-automatic rifle, because "F^%K off, I like guns" https://youtu.be/0rR9IaXH1M0

Tony T
07-01-2016, 02:17 PM
http://assets.amuniversal.com/d3225a30194701347317005056a9545d

cadence90
07-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Who paid for the phriendly Phloyd article in Sports Illustrated this week? :rolleyes:

crossjunkee
07-01-2016, 03:44 PM
The bummer for me is the smell. It doesn't matter when and where I go, I smell it. The smell from grow a "warehouse" is just as bad. I guess it's here to stay.

gdw
07-01-2016, 05:10 PM
+1 There is a grow house or whatever they're called next to the shop where we take our 4Runner for service. The poor guy's facility reeks of weed and unfortunately the Toyota did too for a week after our last visit.

redir
07-01-2016, 05:44 PM
I don't partake in it but I actually really like the smell. I also like the smell of a good cigar or pipe too.

seric
07-01-2016, 06:01 PM
Smell seems like a landlord issue. It should be fixable via a combination of HVAC, charcoal filtration, and ozone generation.

54ny77
07-01-2016, 06:34 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3-oSo8wzdEg/hqdefault.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-02-2016, 06:06 AM
Marlboro will introduce a spin on their timeless ad campaign. Henceforth they shall be named "Marlboro Men."

http://images.firstcovers.com/covers/flash/c/cheech_and_chong-615781.jpg?i

Tommy Chong's daughter in law bought a bike from Vecchio's, she's a true 'rocket scientist' at Ball Aerospace(I think)..

Making it legal didn't make much difference here in the republic except it's now 'out in the open' and taxed instead of black market. Not a lot of more locals got stoned than before..maybe a little fewer since it is more expensive. I see Boulder high kids in the woods by their school gettin' stoned every once in a while(Boulder Creek path goes by Boulder High(get it?). Never heard of a stoner beating up his girl friend..booze far more dangerous and far less regulated(see Boulder Cyclist killed by drunk driver).

Most still breathe in some weed that's BURNING tho, which I find odd for anybody who rides a bike and still gets stoned. Yup, other ways to get the THC, but I still find it odd a person who does something aerobic, chooses to breathe smoke.

Haven't been stoned since college(45 years ago:eek:)..not a fan, it stinks, IMHO.

Mr. Pink
07-02-2016, 08:18 AM
Most still breathe in some weed that's BURNING tho, which I find odd for anybody who rides a bike and still gets stoned. Yup, other ways to get the THC, but I still find it odd a person who does something aerobic, chooses to breathe smoke.

Yup, it's all about the edibles these days. I don't get why some smoke anymore (in your state). Candy is dandy.

Dave B
07-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Yup, it's all about the edibles these days. I don't get why some smoke anymore (in your state). Candy is dandy.

See I have read that edibles are where folks over do it. Doesn't "affect' the user right away, so they keep eating or don't understand how potent it is and eat too high of a dosage so you actually get people in the hospital. With smoking that isn't a common concern.

Plus let's be honest not everyone smoking is an athlete and might be fine with just hanging out getting their joint on.

Still a fascinating subject to me. I would love to know if all of these "studies' on the medical side (pro-pot use for illnesses) are as accurate as they report online.

CampyorBust
07-02-2016, 09:19 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/19800211-mmmain_zps6w1euixy.jpg

:banana:

oldpotatoe
07-02-2016, 09:32 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/19800211-mmmain_zps6w1euixy.jpg

Yup, Rick has been all about the 'make weed not a crime', for a while..

fiamme red
07-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Tommy Chong's daughter in law bought a bike from Vecchio's, she's a true 'rocket scientist' at Ball Aerospace(I think)..And his daughter could do an impressive rear wheel change. :)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wQoZFrBqT9E/U1_0S3A58CI/AAAAAAAACTs/9nexgOPuPCQ/s1600/af9.PNG

Mr. Pink
07-02-2016, 01:19 PM
See I have read that edibles are where folks over do it. Doesn't "affect' the user right away, so they keep eating or don't understand how potent it is and eat too high of a dosage so you actually get people in the hospital. With smoking that isn't a common concern.

Yes, this has been an issue. I could tell you a funny story from last year when I was a stupid novice. But, I won't.

seric
07-02-2016, 02:29 PM
See I have read that edibles are where folks over do it. Doesn't "affect' the user right away, so they keep eating or don't understand how potent it is and eat too high of a dosage so you actually get people in the hospital..

I asked Kymron DeCesare (a prominent researcher in that field) about the possibility of a cannabis patient reaching the ld-50 via edibles, since it's pretty much impossible to smoke enough before passing out. He told me that with the ld 50 of cannabis even a small petite user would need to ingest over 50 grams of thc to be in any danger of death. A dose of edibles is usually considered around 10mg.

This guy apparently ate 90 doses for "research":
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/03/take-that-maureen-dowd-i-ate-90-servings-of-thc-and-lived.html

fiamme red
08-02-2016, 08:22 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/floyd-landis-new-drug-doping-cyclist-man-weed-article-1.2734898

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2734868.1470112491!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/landis2.jpg

peanutgallery
08-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Give him a box of 7 toed puppies, pork pie hat and a steel wheeled tractor and it would be a true return to his roots

RFC
08-02-2016, 09:08 AM
+1 There is a grow house or whatever they're called next to the shop where we take our 4Runner for service. The poor guy's facility reeks of weed and unfortunately the Toyota did too for a week after our last visit.

Windfall! Normally you have to pay extra for that.

Arizona, along with a number of other states, has recreational legalization on the ballot in November.

Next month, I'm putting on a seminar for the AZ Bar on how to resolve business disputes in the cannabis industry using alternative dispute resolution. It will be webcast if anyone is interested. Should be High Times for all!

gdw
08-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Not necessarily. The principal operator of the vehicle is a corporate attorney whose employer has numerous contracts with the Feds and drug tests. She was not amused.

RFC
08-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Just blame it on the kids.

Seriously, I understand the federal contract drug testing thing and I've worked for high tech companies when they still tested. The nurses sort of call you in randomly. When you get the call, you have to go right in and pee in the cup. One morning, I got the call after a long, hot weather morning workout. I had to sit in the nurse's office drinking water for 45 minutes before I could fill the cup.

In the tech world, random testing seems to be a thing of the past. Makes recruiting problematic. Oh, they still retain the ability to test, but that is usually reserved for problem cases, i.e., drug use or bad attitude, any excuse will do.

azrider
08-02-2016, 10:54 AM

Mind......BLOWN......When my grandparents retired from farming, they moved to a modest little house in a tiny little N Central Illinois farming town and they looked forward to Rick Steve's programs on Sunday mornings after Church. I STILL recall my Grandparents talking about how drugs were the devil and marijuana 'cigarettes' were used by burnouts, and druggies and losers.

If only they were still around to see this!! So awesome.

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/44/43/11/9581130/4/920x920.jpg

RFC
08-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Mind......BLOWN......When my grandparents retired from farming, they moved to a modest little house in a tiny little N Central Illinois farming town and they looked forward to Rick Steve's programs on Sunday mornings after Church. I STILL recall my Grandparents talking about how drugs were the devil and marijuana 'cigarettes' were used by burnouts, and druggies and losers.

Just Googled Rick. Seems that he has been a legalization advocate for more than 30 years.

azrider
08-02-2016, 11:14 AM

Arizona, along with a number of other states, has recreational legalization on the ballot in November.

Next month, I'm putting on a seminar for the AZ Bar on how to resolve business disputes in the cannabis industry using alternative dispute resolution. It will be webcast if anyone is interested. Should be High Times for all!

Hey RFC.....did you hear or read about this? Arizona Chamber sues to BLOCK marijuana initiative?

lame

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/07/31/arizona-chamber-others-sue-to-block-marijuana.html

RFC
08-02-2016, 11:19 AM
OK, I'm done being flippant (for now). Just getting ready to ham it up a bit in my seminar.

I am seriously interested in the legal cannabis industry. About half of my practice is serving as an arbitrator and mediator, generally for tech industry disputes. The cannabis industry is interesting because, even though legal, there are those who are strongly opposed to it. As a result, those in the industry do not want to take their disputes to a public forum, i.e., a court, out of concern about bias. The industry prefers to resolve disputes, business or otherwise, in the private forum of alternative dispute resolution.

That's where I come in and why I am trying to learn the industry and meet the players.

It's similar to the porn industry. (I've done a couple of porn arbitrations, which were not nearly as exciting as I hoped they would be). Though legal, they rarely go to court when sued.

RFC
08-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Hey RFC.....did you hear or read about this? Arizona Chamber sues to BLOCK marijuana initiative?

lame

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/07/31/arizona-chamber-others-sue-to-block-marijuana.html

I did see that. The negative response from organized groups is interesting.
Often, you have to dig down and figure out their motives. For example, prosecutors across the state are coming out against it. You'd think, if anybody, they would see marijuana enforcement as an unnecessary nuisance. Maybe that's it. If recreational was legal, they would have to spend their time on more difficult cases involving real crime.;)

Hawker
08-02-2016, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=fiamme red;2018839]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/floyd-landis-new-drug-doping-cyclist-man-weed-article-1.2734898

I feel sad for him...and all kids that will get sucked into this as a recreational alternative. Wonder if he'll be as excited about having his own daughter using it as he is other people using and lining his pockets?

ColonelJLloyd
08-02-2016, 02:42 PM
I feel sad for him...and all kids that will get sucked into this as a recreational alternative. Wonder if he'll be as excited about having his own daughter using it as he is other people using and lining his pockets?

Seriously? Where have you been living for the last 50 years? Pot is about as hard to come by as a burrito. Further, no one under 21 knows or cares who Floyd Landis is or was.

ORMojo
08-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Just Googled Rick. Seems that he has been a legalization advocate for more than 30 years.

Yep, pretty well known here in the PNW for his advocacy. He was very visible during Washington state's legalization process, and also weighed in during Oregon's.

OperaLover
08-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Please PM with a link to your webinar. The Washington State Bar is still trying to figure this out given the conflict with Federal law. Still some concern that providing legal advice in the industry will put your law license at risk.

At the same time I know an attorney who won the lottery for a retail license. Claims to be grossing $300K/month. I don't doubt it. He's not too worried if he loses his license.

RFC
08-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Please PM with a link to your webinar. The Washington State Bar is still trying to figure this out given the conflict with Federal law. Still some concern that providing legal advice in the industry will put your law license at risk.

At the same time I know an attorney who won the lottery for a retail license. Claims to be grossing $300K/month. I don't doubt it. He's not too worried if he loses his license.

The announcement will be completed this week. I'll send then.

Fiertetimestwo
08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/floyd-landis-new-drug-doping-cyclist-man-weed-article-1.2734898

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2734868.1470112491!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/landis2.jpg

Whoa- Floyd looks chunky. Actually looks just like me- poor Floyd.

I guess (no, I know) that's what happens if you don't ride your bike 5-6 hours a day.

ORMojo
08-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Whoa- Floyd looks chunky. Actually looks just like me- poor Floyd.

I guess (no, I know) that's what happens if you don't ride your bike 5-6 hours a day.

And, for some people, if you smoke a lot of . . . (Just for the record, I've seen it happen in friends. Me, I've been skinny as ever my entire life!)

Tony T
08-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Whoa- Floyd looks chunky. .

munchies ;)

CampyorBust
08-02-2016, 08:52 PM

He loves saying that, and he should never stop it sends all the nay sayers packin (bowls:D).

Times they are a changin. Got nuthin but love for Rick Steves. I no longer partake, but certainly have no issue with other people dancing with Mary. She is a force for good I think, but can be one hell of a drag. Its the new wine, while high school kids are on to some heavy stuff, scary.

Good for Floyd, look at that happy face you wont see sourpuss smiling so contently. Darkside of the moon/Oz anybody?

gemship
08-02-2016, 09:27 PM
Yup, Rick has been all about the 'make weed not a crime', for a while..

I find that interesting about Rick Steeves. Well I recall it was either something I read that he said or an actual interview out there on the internet maybe youtube where he was interviewed as saying that he is for legalizing it recreationally but ironically against it being legalized for medical use only. His position simply was that legalization for medical use was a scapegoat for what the public really wants...

oldpotatoe
08-03-2016, 05:35 AM
OK, I'm done being flippant (for now). Just getting ready to ham it up a bit in my seminar.

I am seriously interested in the legal cannabis industry. About half of my practice is serving as an arbitrator and mediator, generally for tech industry disputes. The cannabis industry is interesting because, even though legal, there are those who are strongly opposed to it. As a result, those in the industry do not want to take their disputes to a public forum, i.e., a court, out of concern about bias. The industry prefers to resolve disputes, business or otherwise, in the private forum of alternative dispute resolution.

That's where I come in and why I am trying to learn the industry and meet the players.

It's similar to the porn industry. (I've done a couple of porn arbitrations, which were not nearly as exciting as I hoped they would be). Though legal, they rarely go to court when sued.

But it's not really 'legal', is it(still illegal by the Feds)? OBTW-no weed for me but think it ought to be legal federally.

And for Gemship right above..of course it was a way for people to get 'legally' stoned..the 'medical MJ' gig. Yes, some were/are helped by cannabis but the vast majority just wanted to get stoned. I know a guy who got a 'red' card for doing some photography for a grow operation. Walk up to any of the 'weed' doctors, with a couple hundred$..walk out with the card. NOW many try to get the card cuz 'medical' MJ isn't taxed..

dcama5
08-03-2016, 05:09 PM
Good Luck to Floyd!

I won't try some, but I agree with you. Good Luck Floyd!

dcama5
08-03-2016, 05:21 PM

I do not agree. I have studied addiction quite a bit in the last 7 or 8 years and it is very complex, but there is a genetic component to addiction and if that is not present, true addiction does not happen. Drug of choice is not a choice and most opiate addicts start with pills, not weed. It's the physician awareness of the problem that has created the Heroin problem - since Opiate addicts find it more difficult to get pills from Dr shopping, they resort to Heroin which is cheaper and easier to get. It has almost nothing to do with weed.

dcama5
08-03-2016, 05:48 PM
Pot is not a gateway drug.

Exactly!!!!

dcama5
08-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Tommy Chong's daughter in law bought a bike from Vecchio's, she's a true 'rocket scientist' at Ball Aerospace(I think)..

Making it legal didn't make much difference here in the republic except it's now 'out in the open' and taxed instead of black market. Not a lot of more locals got stoned than before..maybe a little fewer since it is more expensive. I see Boulder high kids in the woods by their school gettin' stoned every once in a while(Boulder Creek path goes by Boulder High(get it?). Never heard of a stoner beating up his girl friend..booze far more dangerous and far less regulated(see Boulder Cyclist killed by drunk driver).

Haven't been stoned since college(45 years ago:eek:)..not a fan, it stinks, IMHO.

Yep, exactly! well, in my opinion exactly!

gemship
08-03-2016, 07:59 PM
But it's not really 'legal', is it(still illegal by the Feds)? OBTW-no weed for me but think it ought to be legal federally.

And for Gemship right above..of course it was a way for people to get 'legally' stoned..the 'medical MJ' gig. Yes, some were/are helped by cannabis but the vast majority just wanted to get stoned. I know a guy who got a 'red' card for doing some photography for a grow operation. Walk up to any of the 'weed' doctors, with a couple hundred$..walk out with the card. NOW many try to get the card cuz 'medical' MJ isn't taxed..

Hey OP just checking in with the forum and I was thinking about that image of Rick Steeves with the buds in the wine glass, very cute it is and yet powerful in a statement. Like it says "weed it's whats for appetizers" or dinner or etc...lol. Smoking pot is very much a lifestyle. This is where I admit I do enjoy partaking in it but...I don't believe in abusing it. It's funny you mention the medical avenue as tax free because being self employed and paying my fair share I am all about mixing it up, selling my clams for what we in the know call private sales or cash sales as well as what I pay taxes on and of course reducing that tax rate a bit with my write offs! I love write offs! So any ways regarding the dope, I have a friendly clamming peer who grows and sells his own and he actually takes the risk with a medical permits. He's able to grow his own allegedly, I really don't know the details but he did show me his card and it's like a crazy joke as if it came in the mail or in a cereal box, lol. Well I sort of feel like hey he's local, he wants to do this, his stuff is great to smoke and it's cheap and tax free. Yeah I feel like due to taxes the black market will absolutely flourish so I am kinda at odds with recreational legalizing although ironically I smoke it. Not that it matters but he really doesn't make much off of me because I only buy like an ounce once a year, I smoke so little of it. Heck I even share it sometimes and it still takes over a year to consume an ounce for me.

Funny story... years ago I met this woman thru a personals ad I placed on CL, long before it became the gutter that it is today regarding dating and I met a very cool and accomplished lady friend. She was/is a fully licensed medical doctor. At the time her expertise was in occupational health. It's a real bread and butter facet of the medical industry I guess...So anyways I had some fun times with her and we smoked a lot of pot and it turns out she was very much pro pot. Well it was a fleeting time, she lived far from me driving wise and she was a bit too wild I guess you could say, lol. So I kinda stopped seeing her for not much of a reason except I was afraid of getting carried away. Out of curiosity I looked her up and it turns out she is riding the wave of all this cannibas legalization. She travels the country giving lectures and she gives out these medical certificates. I think about making contact with her sometimes but I sort of wonder if I really want to open that can of worms, lol. Just too funny. I think here in MA to get a medical permit to use it's as simple as meeting the doctor and proving arthritic pain or insomnia or stress.

gemship
08-03-2016, 08:24 PM

Ha,ha I keep quoting you, well you have some entertaining input in this conversation I must say. Regarding the kids getting high and my story I had this buddy that I first met in middle school who introduced me to smoking as the age of 16. At first he used to tease me but I stood up to him and at some point we became friends, he kinda corrupted as I was very straight edge up to that point and really for the next few years of my life. Yeah nobody does anything to wild on the dope thank god. I can recall at the age of 16 this same buddy and his older brother had a neat collection of Playboy mags and once in while when we got high we would look at them and boy oh boy was Jessica Hahn a thing of beauty back in the day! This may get a bit personal but at the time I just remember it having a very sexually enhancing euphoric effect on me and Jessica Hahn's spread was one of those larger than life moments, lol. At one point I guess that was the selling point on it's positive effects for me or at least one of them, it just made me hornier!

Not sure what you mean by it stinks because literally it can stink smell wise. Nowadays weed can have some relaxing effects for me but what stinks is at times it can make me also very paranoid I guess in a word. I really have to be in a comfortable place emotionally or it can have a negative effect. For example I could be mad at someone over taking some words too seriously and once I have a puff or two I take another perspective on the exchange and then can feel quite guilty for opening my big mouth.

unterhausen
08-03-2016, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that if pot were legalized, we wouldn't have such a devastating meth problem. And heroin seems to be making a comeback around here again. Treating pot the same as those other drugs changes everything as far as the supply chain and possession.

I hope we can legalize pot nationwide in the near future. I think anyone my age knows how pointless it all has been. Probably the politicians that made it all such a horrible crime also knew it was pointless, in fact it happened when the political class in Washington D.C. were pretty much all a batch of cokeheads.

fiamme red
08-20-2016, 03:15 PM
http://kdvr.com/2016/08/19/former-pro-cyclist-dabbles-in-the-colorado-cannabis-business/

"Floyd's of Leadville will release an edible protect in the upcoming months."

Energy bars? :)

Cicli
08-20-2016, 03:51 PM
http://kdvr.com/2016/08/19/former-pro-cyclist-dabbles-in-the-colorado-cannabis-business/

"Floyd's of Leadville will release an edible protect in the upcoming months."

Energy bars? :)

Damn mountain bikers. Although I am not sure those are energy bars. Maybe there will be recliners and pizzas at every turn and Floyd will swoop in and steal the win.

RFC
08-21-2016, 10:14 AM
It is my understanding that drunk driving arrests in Colorado have gone down since 4/20 legalization.

Cicli
08-21-2016, 10:22 AM
It is my understanding that drunk driving arrests in Colorado have gone down since 4/20 legalization.

Probably. And stoners dont really drive do they?

PQJ
08-21-2016, 10:31 AM
Probably. And stoners dont really drive do they?

They do. Only slower and more carefully.

gdw
08-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Ummm......according to our local DA, Boulder County, up to 30 percent of the impaired driving arrests in the county are believed to involve marijuana. In two of this summer's high profile fatal accidents, one of which led to the death of an 8 year old girl riding her bike, the drivers tested positive for THC.