PDA

View Full Version : Replacing decals on a Moots

dbnm
06-23-2016, 11:34 PM
Has anyone replaced the decals on a Moots?

How difficult was it?

Any advice?

Idris Icabod
06-23-2016, 11:55 PM
I did it a couple of years ago on my 2005 frame. The old frame decals were easy to remove with acetone, the ones on the stem and post were removed with heat (I believe in 2004 they switched decals and I assume my frame and post were mixed so a different method to remove). Putting on the new decals was really easy, I removed the cables etc. so that the frame was unhindered. They send a page with the method for applying with the new decals.

dbnm
06-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Thanks so much!

I did it a couple of years ago on my 2005 frame. The old frame decals were easy to remove with acetone, the ones on the stem and post were removed with heat (I believe in 2004 they switched decals and I assume my frame and post were mixed so a different method to remove). Putting on the new decals was really easy, I removed the cables etc. so that the frame was unhindered. They send a page with the method for applying with the new decals.

cadence90
06-23-2016, 11:57 PM
I have. It was very straightforward.

I marked the corners of existing decals with painter's tape; removed the old decals; cleaned per instructions; applied new Moots decals per instructions.

Here are the Moots decal removal/application instructions (http://moots.com/wp-content/uploads/TECHpaper_Decal.pdf).

The first thing to do is to identify the age of your existing decals, as the removal process is different.

FROM MOOTS:

REMOVE OLD DECALS:
(1) Start by washing entire bike. Use hot soapy water, or a Simple Green mix to remove dirt, grease, etc. from frame. (Your Moots will love you for this alone).
(2) Remove old decal set: If your bike has decals from 2004 or earlier, you must use Acetone to remove them. You can find this at any hardware store. Use a clean (lint-free) paper towel or cloth to remove decals. The decal will leave a milky residue if you don’t change out the towel or cloth.
(3) If your bike has decals from 2005 or later, you must use a heat gun or hairdryer. Heat the decals, then peel.
USE EXTREME CAUTION! THE DECALS GET VERY HOT, AND YOU COULD BURN YOURSELF VERY SEVERELY!

dbnm
06-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Got it. Thanks.

I have. It was very straightforward.

I marked the corners of existing decals with painter's tape; removed the old decals; cleaned per instructions; applied new Moots decals per instructions.

Here are the Moots decal removal/application instructions (http://moots.com/wp-content/uploads/TECHpaper_Decal.pdf).

The first thing to do is to identify the age of your existing decals, as the removal process is different.