PDA

View Full Version : OT: Prius Bike Transport

vertebraille
06-23-2016, 12:45 PM
I just bought a Prius and am wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations for bike racks, be they trailer hitch, roof rack, whatever. Thanks!

guido
06-23-2016, 12:51 PM
I use a hitch rack on my 2005 Prius. I tried roof rack system but it just killed the mileage. Using the big $ baffle panel made it worse.

feFIFO
06-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Amen to the hitch rack. I've got a Curt hitch and 1up rack on my Prius. Highly recommend both.

djg21
06-23-2016, 02:51 PM
I just bought a Prius and am wondering if anyone has any experience/recommendations for bike racks, be they trailer hitch, roof rack, whatever. Thanks!

I used one of these of an Audi TT Roadster. http://www.birdautomotive.com/BikeRack.htm

They make racks for Priuses, the only downside with the rack on my TT was that there was very little clearance between the wheels of my large MTB and the ground due to the tight frame and sloping seat tube. For my road bikes it was great.

RFC
06-23-2016, 03:10 PM
I have a Prius and am amazed how much cargo room there is on the inside.

For a variety of reasons, whenever possible, I much prefer to transport bikes inside a vehicle, as opposed to on a rack.

With the back seats down, there is more than enough room for two bikes and all of your gear. Take off the front wheels, you might be able to do it with just one seat down.

vertebraille
06-23-2016, 03:24 PM
Interesting on the hitch racks... The car doesn't have a hitch installed but perhaps I'll look into getting one.

guido
06-23-2016, 03:50 PM
U-haul was the best deal for a hitch/install when I was looking...

geeter
06-23-2016, 04:06 PM
I have a 2010 with a Yakima hitch rack. I have been debating getting a 1up to replace it but it works. Mileage does drop a bit but its still better than 90% of all other cars with a bike on the back.

If aerodynamics are a concern, for sure stay away from a roof rack. Its why I never put one on. Doesn't make sense to ruin the egg shape of the Prius.