PDA

View Full Version : Tubular question

lovethesport
06-23-2016, 10:21 AM
I'm sure the answer is somewhere in all the threads but I can't seem to find it... I have had Continental Gatorskins with poor results(flats) after using Conti 4000 which wear too quickly. I have Hyperons, I do not race but ride consistently throughout the year on group rides. I am looking for a tire with
durability and performance.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

OperaLover
06-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Vittoria Corsa Elites. Endorsed by OP, me and others. Nice casing, butyl tube. Put some sealant in as insurance. RIDE!

FlashUNC
06-23-2016, 10:40 AM
I liked the Conti Competitions as an option. But you may be off Conti at this point.

I used a set of Kenda Domestiques that were quite nice for the money.

Right now I've got a set of FMB Competition CXs that I like quite a lot. On Hyperons no less.

dan682
06-23-2016, 10:47 AM
+1 on the Corsa Elites. Only complaint I have is they don't seem to have quite the wet traction as the more expensive Corsa CX. In the dry, every bit as good, and wear slower.

Dead Man
06-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Corsa Elites have definitely been the most reliable tubular I've sported for everything-riding. They do not ride as smooth or offer as much cornering confidence as the 320/latex varieties, but are still a damn sight better than any clincher. Outstanding value.

The butyl tube seems to respond better to latex sealant than latex tubes, for some reason... Will never understand that, but that's been my experience.

AngryScientist
06-23-2016, 11:04 AM
i've been rolling some good reliable miles on schwalbe one tubies.

oldpotatoe
06-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Vittoria Corsa Elites. Endorsed by OP, me and others. Nice casing, butyl tube. Put some sealant in as insurance. RIDE!

What he said. 25c, butyl tube, 290 tpi casing. Ride great, good durability, easy to mount. Add goop!

lovethesport
06-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Terrific... exactly what I wanted to hear... thanks

ultraman6970
06-23-2016, 04:06 PM
OP, What you want is so relative because it depends of luck and the money you want to spend.

Ive had continentals and they last enough but are expensive, Schwalbe last good enough but are expensive too depending of the model.

But, if you stock yourself with like 15 to 25 bucks tubulars in those you generally wont get flats till they are ready to go you know, they are so cheap too that you wont need to even fix them, put a new one and good to go.

The other thing is that here only a few users do, and that's the reason IMO why tubulars and clinchers usually last me a very long time, old guy tubby users trick. U get back from the ride and you take like 50% of the pressure out, religiously. ANd then you pump it back to 80 to 110 the next ride. PITA for some but thats how we, old people does.

MOney is scarce , hard to tell how much you want to spend when you have to factor luck too.

You get what you pay for, 150 bucks tubular vs 15 bucks one, but at the end you will get maybe the same ammount of use from the cheap one and wont hurt as much as a expensive one at the time of a flat. As i said before, for 15 bucks you just replace them instead of thinking on fixing them you know.