PDA

View Full Version : Dug deep today

saab2000
06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
So I am out with the boys for the Thursday sprint ride. At the end it has splintered as different people have to go home. I hang in 'til the end and a few guys are left. One tool tries to make it fast. I thought I was racing again. Holy crappola. The gap opened up as I was nr. 4 in line. We dropped the fifth fatso (I am the fourth fatso) and I was next. Got gapped, but fought back.

It sucks to be slow again and hurt. But there is something satisfying about digging in for about 15 seconds in order to close that two bike-length gap to the guy in front of me. Couldn't come through any more, but I saved myself from getting dropped.

Gotta lose more weight.

2 good rides and 1 mediocre ride per week are not enough to get ahead when riding with guys who average 300-400 miles per week and are competitive 2s.

Still, the Serotta CIII comes though and it ain't the bike that is why I am suffering.

72gmc
06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
i'd bet you have the best looking bike in the group. when the champs elysees is the coffee shop, that's worth a place on the podium.

saab2000
06-29-2006, 01:35 PM
My bike is a pariah on these rides. This ride is heavy Bianchi stuff. It is with Grand Performance in St. Paul. They sponsor a pretty good team and the shop moves a lot of Bianchis every year. Bianchis account for 90% of the bikes on this ride and all the team members ride them. I like them too. They are good bikes. If I really wanted I could get a killer deal on one too.

My Serotta came from the shop in the Twin Cities that is the arch enemy of Grand Performance. The only reason I can even show up is that my came from eBay, not new.

Anyway, when you are doing about 190 BPM and have tunnel vision trying to hold the wheel in front the bike suddenly somehow loses its importance. Can't figure out why.....

72gmc
06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
i do not know anyone from the shops (or area) you speak of, but that is just plain silly that your bike would be a pariah. and while bianchis are nice, i'll still wager that yours is the looker of the pack. even if you are impersonating greg lemond at present (didn't some euro pro comment during one tour du pont that greg's big butt was hiding his saddle?)

saab2000
06-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Well I was exagerating. No bike is a pariah at these rides. The bike does not matter to these guys. But they are all sponsored and get very good deals on their rides. Not free of course, but very good deals.

Nobody makes fun of anyone. It is just a local thing and a rivalry between two very high level shops and the guys I ride with normally ride Bianchis. The guys from the 'rival' shop ride Serottas. The other shop is a Serotta dealer. 'My' shop is not. They sell other good bikes, including Moots, Orbea, Bianchi, etc.

My bike is not at all unwelcome. Just a bit unusual on these rides. None of them care what you ride after the ride starts. Only during the pre-ride rumors and lies and chest beating.

Big Dan
06-29-2006, 02:12 PM
SAAB, what wheels are you using for those rides?

:cool:

I'm building a sleeper bike and what to put something "special" but discreet... :p

flydhest
06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Only during the pre-ride rumors and lies and chest beating.

That's the part that is my specialty. Along with the post-ride "woulda-coulda-shoulda."

zap
06-29-2006, 02:36 PM
snip

Along with the post-ride "woulda-coulda-shoulda."

Should we be worried that you talk to yourself.

72gmc
06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
no problem, saab. i think i understood what you meant. glad you're out there "givin' 'er" (as a canadian once said to me) and reveling in the pain.

Fixed
06-29-2006, 04:31 PM
bro they will want you on their team .300 miles ain't that much . just think if you did that mileage you'd be awsome bro .
you could get by with less mileage you know what to do .
glad to see you got some bros to ride with that makes it fun.
cheers

H.Frank Beshear
06-29-2006, 05:55 PM
The Grand performance gang races here Memorial Day weekend. A bunch of very strong riders that ride/train/race a lot. I'd say you did pretty well for and old fat man :p :D Been to Steves lately? Frank

saab2000
06-29-2006, 06:38 PM
SAAB, what wheels are you using for those rides?

:cool:

I'm building a sleeper bike and what to put something "special" but discreet... :p

Nucleon tubulars - My secret weapon.

Too Tall
06-29-2006, 06:58 PM
"Not so bad" as they say in the northland ;) Def. a case of riding and typing not dissimilar to drinking and dialing! Gotta love your 'tude Saabster. The Swiss be a strong breed :)

BumbleBeeDave
06-29-2006, 08:41 PM
. . . to open your suitcase of courage next time and dance on the pedals a bit! ;)

BBD

Too Tall
06-30-2006, 06:34 AM
Nice "transfering" of Phil Dave :)