PDA

View Full Version : Where to have frame w/ S&S couplers powder coated

eogie
06-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Hi folks.

I recently picked up a fillet brazed S&S coupled land shark touring frame. Unfortunately, I hate the color! It doesn't have original paint so don't fret. The entire frame including couplers was powder coated and I'd love to have it stripped and redone(save the couplers). I'm searching google with no incredibly promising results. I'm looking for one color for the frame fork and stem. I definitely want to go with powder as paint just won't hold up as well

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

tiretrax
06-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Stripping the powder coat is not easy. Spectrum has the best reputation, but they're not inexpensive. I had a local shop strip a frame and powder coat it. I think spending the extra funds to ship to Spectrum would have been a better expenditure.

eogie
06-23-2016, 09:36 AM
I recently saw some photos from a spectrum job that was far from awesome, but maybe that was a fluke. I'll look into them further. Thanks.

eogie
06-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Nevermind! Called the guys at Horse Cycles and they were incredibly helpful. That's where I'm headed! Thanks.

Bob Ross
06-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Spectrum has the best reputation, but they're not inexpensive. I had a local shop strip a frame and powder coat it. I think spending the extra funds to ship to Spectrum would have been a better expenditure.

I'd swear I saw something within the past month or two, either here or ATH, that said Spectrum Powderworks was out of the bicycle frame business?

If so it would be a shame. They powdercoated my Strong and it's a stunningly beautiful color/finish.

eogie
06-23-2016, 12:55 PM
I called the number on their Facebook page and it sounded like their facility had been bought or they had stopped powder coating frames. I was redirected to another number and my call wasn't answered.

raygunner
06-23-2016, 01:05 PM
Word I got from a builder was that Spectrum Powder Works was sold.

He mentioned Mosaic bought them.