PDA

View Full Version : Fat city monster fat

Hilltopperny
06-23-2016, 04:40 AM
How did the monster fat fall in the fat chance line up and what would one expect to pay for a 1991 model in good shape? May go have a look at one some time today:beer:

MrDangerPants
06-23-2016, 05:42 AM
The Monster Fat and the later Buck Shaver were the introductory models. Here are a couple of links to the 1992 (http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Fat_Chance/1992.pdf) (Moster Fat) and 1994 (http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/Bikekataloge/PDF/Fat_Chance/1994.pdf) (Buck Shaver) Fat City catalogs.

purpurite
06-23-2016, 06:37 AM
"Introductory" is selling them very short. They were very similar to the Wicked and Yo Eddy with different tubing sets. Still handmade frames, still vey expensive and still awesome old school steel bikes. There were no cheap bikes in the Fat City lineup.

merlinmurph
06-23-2016, 09:12 AM
I was looking at a Monster Fat back in the day. Even talked with a guy in the shop named Ed Sassler.

A few years later in '94, I ended up getting a Buck Shaver. Same exact geo as the Yo Eddy, just a couple of production shortcuts to get the frame down to ~$600 comapared to ~$1000 for a Yo.

Hilltopperny
06-23-2016, 11:32 AM
What do you guys think would be a fair offer on a 1991 in good shape? I don't want to insult or overpay.

purpurite
06-23-2016, 12:14 PM
A Monster Fat is a Wicked with different decals essentially, and a wicked is a Fantastic bike (I had 2).

Hard to say price without seeing the condition. Early Fats (and all early steel MTBs) suffered from rust. Seat tube, bottom bracket were notorious. Bring a flashlight and look in the seat tube. They had a tendency to get moisture in them and rot from the inside out, as the tubes weren't vented well. If it has rust, run away.

If it's clean and in a good color, the prices have been all over the place. With Fat re-upping in the MTB business this year, too, I have watched the prices of the old Fats coming back down to reality.

Original seatpost collar and gasket are nice to get in a vintage Fat, too.

A desirable color, no rust or dents, no fork and overall good condition, I would do $300 for a Monster frame if it were my size (18"). Super big or tiny frame sizes detract from the price, too, IMO. A segmented fork would get another $150-200 added to that, with a standard fork not adding too much, maybe $50.

Tough to pass on if it is your size and rust free. Personally, I love the '90 to '94 bikes best, but I'm a Fat snob. :) Let us know how it goes, and... pics, or it didn't happen.

doug

Hilltopperny
06-23-2016, 01:25 PM
A Monster Fat is a Wicked with different decals essentially, and a wicked is a Fantastic bike (I had 2).

Hard to say price without seeing the condition. Early Fats (and all early steel MTBs) suffered from rust. Seat tube, bottom bracket were notorious. Bring a flashlight and look in the seat tube. They had a tendency to get moisture in them and rot from the inside out, as the tubes weren't vented well. If it has rust, run away.

If it's clean and in a good color, the prices have been all over the place. With Fat re-upping in the MTB business this year, too, I have watched the prices of the old Fats coming back down to reality.

Original seatpost collar and gasket are nice to get in a vintage Fat, too.

A desirable color, no rust or dents, no fork and overall good condition, I would do $300 for a Monster frame if it were my size (18"). Super big or tiny frame sizes detract from the price, too, IMO. A segmented fork would get another $150-200 added to that, with a standard fork not adding too much, maybe $50.

Tough to pass on if it is your size and rust free. Personally, I love the '90 to '94 bikes best, but I'm a Fat snob. :) Let us know how it goes, and... pics, or it didn't happen.

doug
It's a pink 91 that is complete with the exception of the seat post and seat. Going to try and get out there today and have a look. The pics look good, but the price seems a bit high. Will post up later if all goes well. :beer:

purpurite
06-23-2016, 01:38 PM
Odd colors are a Fat trademark. I'd jump on a pink Monster in a heartbeat. I would say the components on it are likely of zero value to a collector, and probably of beater quality.

Full bike of unknown components, I wouldn't pay over $450 out the door, though that final number really depends on the fork on the bike.

purpurite
06-26-2016, 10:10 PM
Well?

Hilltopperny
06-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Well?

Had a busy weekend and the owner wasn't around when I was. Ended up at the frendly gathering in Vermont as my cousin flew in from Oregon to play on Saturday night. Still in contact with the owner and have some negotiating to do. Asking price is $600 and I have yet to see it in person. It's going to be for my fiance or daughter because it's a little small for me at 16". Hoping to get out to see it within the next few days. Looks to be in good shape in the pics, but just noticed what looks to be a ding in the top tube upon further inspection.

Hilltopperny
06-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Non drive side pic they sent to me.

purpurite
06-27-2016, 08:35 AM
I see at least one pretty good sized dent in the top tube. In my book, it's value drops considerably, especially with the very low-end components on it. $200-250 at the most.

IFRider
06-27-2016, 09:33 AM
I have a Monster version I which was basically a black Wicked (green Monster decals) with Suntour XCD components vs Shimano XT which a Wicked would have been. Fat was trying to compete against the less expensive brands and I think they were clearing out Wicked's as Wicked Lite's came about. They sold out pretty quick near as I could tell and supplemented with Wickeds in nicer colors (a buddy picked up a Cherry Metallic version) shortly after with same components. The version that came after had the single seat stay like the one pictured and eventually became the Buck Shaver. I never saw a Monster with the segmented fork new as those were for Yo-Eddy's at that time although a lot of people upgraded after. As already posted, check the seat tube for rust and stick a finger in the bottom bracket if you can (very least, pull the screw hold the cable guide out and look for rust on end).

I still ride the Monster (Wicked) on occasion with all its upgraded glory including Cook's Cranks, aluminum Softride stem and Mavic Paris Dakar wheels. It holds it own after all these years in the tight technical single track where I live.

Warren

pbarry
06-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Prices for Fats are all over the place. The ding(s) definitely reduce the value. Nice examples go from 350-750. I'd pass on that one.

Hilltopperny
06-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Prices for Fats are all over the place. The ding(s) definitely reduce the value. Nice examples go from 350-750. I'd pass on that one.

I think I'm going to have to pass on this one. I looked over the pics sent and that ding in the top tube coupled with the high asking price is enough to let it go. I have a few vintage mtb's already, but none are small enough for the fiancé or daughter. When I first saw this I was thinking it would be a nice surprise for one of them, but the more I researched the less I feel it would be a good buy.

Hilltopperny
06-27-2016, 06:56 PM
I just picked it up for a couple hundred. It has two dings in the top tube, but no rust inside or out and looks to be minimally used. Have to get the grime off and grease everything up. I now have two projects to start and it's supposed to storm tomorrow. Hopefully I can get one of the two done then.:beer:

pbarry
06-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Nice deal! Well done. :beer: