PDA

View Full Version : Useful or Useless: A dot painted on a frame's top tube to mark BB center

MattTuck
06-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Just thought of this as I am trying to make a quick micro adjustment to my saddle in my office...

Seems like a simple and somewhat useful reference point for setting up the bike.

Hindmost
06-22-2016, 01:32 PM
Humm...interesting thought. One would still have establish vertical and measure back to a point on the saddle to get setback.

LegendRider
06-22-2016, 01:33 PM
My Time VXRS has it. Seems like a good idea - certainly easier to measure saddle setback.

benb
06-22-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm wondering if this would allow use of a standard T-square or similar device to precisely measure setback and/or saddle height instead of expensive X-Y type tools or relying on less precise methods.

The idea has merit. Not really helpful for most of us with frames we already have though.

MattTuck
06-22-2016, 01:41 PM
I'm wondering if this would allow use of a standard T-square or similar device to precisely measure setback and/or saddle height instead of expensive X-Y type tools or relying on less precise methods.

The idea has merit. Not really helpful for most of us with frames we already have though.

There's always a sharpie, or some white out ;)

I keed. I keed. Yes, ideally it could just be a very small point put on by the painter. Square idea works only if it is a level top tube. But even without a square, eye-balling setback from tip of saddle to top tube is easier than eye-balling it all the way down to the BB.

Interesting that Time has done it. Guess someone else had the same thought.

bthornt
06-22-2016, 01:47 PM
I always thought it would be useful for seatposts and stems (and steerer tubes?) to have a dot or bump at their center, and then to have corresponding dots or bumps on the middle of the top tube so you could easily center the cockpit.

vqdriver
06-22-2016, 01:50 PM
My Time VXRS has it. Seems like a good idea - certainly easier to measure saddle setback.

my time vx edge also has this. took me a while to figure out what it was, but whether it was bb center or not, it was always useful for making small changes.
you just tape a plumb line to the tip of the saddle to make adjustments fore/aft. I ghetto rigged a string tied to a nail. also works to make changes to tip angle.

Mikej
06-22-2016, 01:54 PM
I only works if you have perfect alignment - level floor and lateral side/side. Ask any custom frame builder who has customers measure their current bike if that has ever happened...

Mark McM
06-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Such an alignment dot would be very useful.

But I don't trust for one minute that it would be accurately located during manufacturing on a production frame. I think you'd end up having to place your own calibrated alignment dot.

Lewis Moon
06-22-2016, 02:25 PM
I've done this for years. You'll see a dot on the top tube of every bike I own.

soulspinner
06-22-2016, 02:41 PM
I've done this for years. You'll see a dot on the top tube of every bike I own.

yup. I remove them when set up correctly.:cool:

benb
06-22-2016, 03:01 PM
I think I'll try it as I'm going to try a new saddle soon..

CMiller
06-22-2016, 03:06 PM
I often put a piece of electrical tape neatly on the top tube directly over bb. I also do electrical tape over seatpost once I figure out my height. I say it's just while I set up the bike but it usually winds up there for a few months haha

Bob Ross
06-22-2016, 04:01 PM
I think you'd end up having to place your own calibrated alignment dot.

^^^That's what I did. A little hard to see in this pic, but that green rectangle just in front of the builder's signature on the top tube is a small piece of artist's tape, with a small line drawn by a Sharpie to indicate bottom bracket center.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u495/bob_ross4/my%20Sachs%204-25-2016_zpsgg13zea1.jpg

I located this using a huge T-square on my hopefully-close-enough-to-level Dining Room floor. Compared to futzing around with a plumb bob this method is so much easier! Highly recommended. So yes Matt, it would indeed be useful.

wallymann
06-22-2016, 04:55 PM
i had stickers made up for that very purpose years ago, fitted to every bike i own:

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/tech/bb-center-stickers.jpg

Clancy
06-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Maybe I'm missing something and my method is wrong but it's pretty simple.

I lean my bike against a corner wall, the bike up against one wall, the rear tire touching the other wall.

Basically I lean my bike against a wall, rear tire touching other wall.

I then measure from the wall to the bottom bracket. The wall the rear tire is touching.

Measure from wall to the tip of my saddle.

Subtract one from the other - setback.

Clancy
06-22-2016, 04:59 PM
But those stickers are freaking cool.

Louis
06-22-2016, 06:50 PM
In a related, but completely random comment:

Some propeller driven aircraft have a red line around the fuselage corresponding to the plane of the props. I was once in a small commuter airplane and by chance my seat corresponded exactly with that location, which made the flight extra-interesting.

http://lockheedmartin.com/content/lockheed/us/products/c130/History/_jcr_content/center_content/image_1.img.jpg/1403022302054.jpg

wallymann
06-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Maybe I'm missing something and my method is wrong but it's pretty simple.

I lean my bike against a corner wall, the bike up against one wall, the rear tire touching the other wall.

Basically I lean my bike against a wall, rear tire touching other wall.

I then measure from the wall to the bottom bracket. The wall the rear tire is touching.

Measure from wall to the tip of my saddle.

Subtract one from the other - setback.

that certainly seems good enough for gubment work, but it depends on the level of precision one wants to achieve.

i'm pretty persnickety about position and predisposed to +/-1mm accuracy for fit specs.

In a related, but completely random comment: Some propeller driven aircraft have a red line around the fuselage corresponding to the plane of the props. I was once in a small commuter airplane and by chance my seat corresponded exactly with that location, which made the flight extra-interesting.

"CUT HERE"

cachagua
06-22-2016, 08:41 PM
I'm not going to argue whether it looks cool. For purposes of fitting, though -- i dunno. A laser level is too easy, too economical, and too accurate to stab around in space over a spot on your frame.

MattTuck
06-22-2016, 08:49 PM
In a related, but completely random comment:

Some propeller driven aircraft have a red line around the fuselage corresponding to the plane of the props. I was once in a small commuter airplane and by chance my seat corresponded exactly with that location, which made the flight extra-interesting.

http://lockheedmartin.com/content/lockheed/us/products/c130/History/_jcr_content/center_content/image_1.img.jpg/1403022302054.jpg

There's probably some overly informative acronym for it... the "Propeller Impalement Zone" PIZ

http://onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/ri/richardmatheson/richardmatheson_fullsize_story1.jpg

Louis
06-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Obviously that CAN NOT be Capt Kirk.

Slow Eddie
06-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Makes sense on s bike like the Time that comes as a module, but swap to a fork with a different A-C and now your dot's in the wrong place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray
06-23-2016, 05:09 AM
I've never found anything that works better than a square sided post. The two basements where I've set up all of my bikes have em and that makes it easy to measure and adjust the setback on every bike. Even if it's not perfectly vertical, as long as you use the same post, it'll always be consistent...

-Ray