PDA

View Full Version : Performance Enhancing Drugs, another take

ChrisK
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
I was taken aback by some comments in the PED thread so I thought I'd offer another take:

The problem I see with the acceptance of PEDs in pro biking is that it's an extension of hyper-individualism that pervades American (and to a lesser extent European) society. It's the "I can do anything I want because I'm free syndrome". And it's the further rationalization of such behavior because "it doesn't hurt anyone else". But too often we don't examine the impact on society as a whole. If the use of PEDs by kids in general becomes prevalent the health care and emotional toll would be enormous. And we would all pay the price. There are times when the social good must take precedence over the aspirations of a few athletes and sports fans.

I have great respect for the strict Japanese policy of denying visas to anyone convicted of a drug offence even if they are a sports or entertainment star. And drug use in Japan is among the lowest in the first world despite relatively light punishments for their use. PEDs and those who have used them should be strictly and uniformly banned in all sports.

atmo
06-29-2006, 12:17 PM
I was taken aback by some comments in the PAD thread so I thought I'd offer another take:

The problem I see with the acceptance of PADs in pro biking is that it's an extension of hyper-individualism that pervades American (and to a lesser extent European) society. It's the "I can do anything I want because I'm free syndrome". And it's the further rationalization of such behavior because "it doesn't hurt anyone else". But too often we don't examine the impact on society as a whole. If the use of PADs by kids in general becomes prevalent the health care and emotional toll would be enormous. And we would all pay the price. There are times when the social good must take precedence over the aspirations of a few athletes and sports fans.

I have great respect for the strict Japanese policy of denying visas to anyone convicted of a drug offence even if they are a sports or entertainment star. And drug use in Japan is among the lowest in the first world. PDAs and those who have used them should be strictly and uniformly banned in all sports.

you want to end it? end sports, or end competition,
or end sports television. well, that's a start atmo.

scrooge
06-29-2006, 12:22 PM
...PDAs and those who have used them should be strictly and uniformly banned in all sports.

Then I'm glad I've never used a PDA. I want one and think that it would help my life organized, but my wife says its a waste of money. I guess I don't see how a PDA would help in sports--maybe with training schedules?

Sorry, Couldn't help myself.

Too Tall
06-29-2006, 01:31 PM
It's PED Chris. Whatever no worries.
Are you kidding me? You can not peg this on Americans the problem is international not AMERICAN for cry eye n out loud.
FWIIW Japanese drink like Boston Drunk only wishes he could ;)

Anywho, your concern is genuine.

victoryfactory
06-29-2006, 01:44 PM
remember what they did several years ago in the "sport" of body
building?
They couldn't get the drugs out, so they instituted a new division for
"natural" competitors.
The result?
No-one (except their families, I suppose) cares a hoot about the "natural"
guys, the TV and mags that follow body building are still dominated by
those grotesque over developed freaks that look like roast turkeys.

I guess my point is that people will use any means available to win....

VF

e-RICHIE
06-29-2006, 01:45 PM
remember what they did several years ago in the "sport" of body
building?
They couldn't get the drugs out, so they instituted a new division for
"natural" competitors.

VF
they should do that with california gubernatorial elections atmo.

victoryfactory
06-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Ahll drive my cah rite trew yewah chop
unt bend all yewer nice frames!

ahht-mo

ChrisK
06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
You can not peg this on Americans the problem is international not AMERICAN for cry eye n out loud.

I didn't mean to peg it entirely on Americans or Europeans. But I am concerned that any intelligent person would say: "It'll always happen so we shouldn't worry about it." Then there's: "It makes the sport more interesting."

I should also have expanded on my point about Japan. When the government denies some sports star a visa because of past drug use, everyone seems to agree that it was the right thing to do. It's simply a greater concern with the overall social good than we generally have. It may not extend to alcohol, but nothing is perfect. And I'm not one to turn down a saki or three.

Fixed
06-29-2006, 02:49 PM
It's PED Chris. Whatever no worries.
Are you kidding me? You can not peg this on Americans the problem is international not AMERICAN for cry eye n out loud.

and smoke