PDA

View Full Version : Trek buys Merckx

Kirk Pacenti
06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Can anyone here corroborate this story?

Maybe it's an old April fools day joke...???

Cheers,
KP

Cicli
06-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Found this article.
Sounds like BS to me.

"In a move that is both surprising and predictable. The great american Trek bicycle making company has purchased the Eddy Merckx brand, consolidating it, renaming it the Eddy Merckx collection and is showing off the line as mass market kids bikes.

Trek’s John Burke said the company’s decision to roll Eddy Merckx into the Trek line was driven by desire to simplify its line and grow sales, particularly in the hot children's box store category.

Burke, Trek’s president, said box stores like Wal-Mart and Target began clamoring last fall for Eddy Merckx branded 16" kids and pseudo-BMX bikes offered by other brands. “Retailers were asking for that in droves,” he said.

This move combines a strong performance brand image, and a great money generating opportunity. "Plus, we just like to kill good brands. Look at Klein and Bontrager. It feels good to do what we do best." Burke said in an interview.

Apologies to Eddy Merckx for making fun of him. And happy 65th birthday to the greatest bicycle racer."

bobswire
06-22-2016, 10:09 AM
If it ain't HERE (http://www.bicycleretailer.com/) it ain't happening.

Dead Man
06-22-2016, 10:16 AM
Hope Eddie has a good sense of humor

:eek:

Mikej
06-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Dude, they're only like, 8 hours ahead, not 83 days...

Prolly from the same factory anyway.

acorn_user
06-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Found this article.
Sounds like BS to me.

"In a move that is both surprising and predictable. The great american Trek bicycle making company has purchased the Eddy Merckx brand, consolidating it, renaming it the Eddy Merckx collection and is showing off the line as mass market kids bikes.

If by BS, you mean Bike Snob, I agree :)