PDA

View Full Version : Deep tissue massage...feel like crap day after

Kingfisher
06-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Is it normal to feel tired, out of sorts day after deep tissue massage. Had one hour session yesterday to relieve neck issues and today is just blah. Therapist was a guy built like a linebacker.

Gsinill
06-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Yep, had one a few weeks ago and my therapist left the room saying: "You gonna hate me for the next 3 days".
She was dead on :)

45K10
06-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Is it normal to feel tired, out of sorts day after deep tissue massage. Had one hour session yesterday to relieve neck issues and today is just blah. Therapist was a guy built like a linebacker.

Yes it is normal. You'll feel a lot better in a couple of days.

ColonelJLloyd
06-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Drink a lot of water. Then drink some more.

OperaLover
06-21-2016, 03:04 PM
All of the above!

seric
06-21-2016, 03:35 PM
My wife was a massage therapist for a decade before switching to her current career in ocean sciences. She advises that patients always take it easy for awhile after deep tissue work. You often end up with a lot of crap being worked out of your tissue, which can also compromise your immune system.

06-21-2016, 08:32 PM
You not only have a lot of metabolites released into your system, but also your body develops a pattern of tensions in various muscles that it feels comfortable with. They may not be optimal or even healthy, but they are what your body is acclimated to. When you shift those around with deep tissue massage, your body feels like it's been in a car accident.

All this, as others have said, is normal.

Dead Man
06-21-2016, 09:04 PM
I've been getting a little body work done recently and have not experienced this... I think I sort of assumed? what I have been getting is "deep tissue," but maybe not, based on this. I definitely haven't felt like crap the next day..

but my focus has been on legs/lower torso... so maybe that has something to do with it

What defines deep tissue?

fa63
06-21-2016, 09:49 PM
If it doesn't hurt a bit during the massage, then it is not deep tissue :)

Tommasini53
06-21-2016, 10:10 PM
Drink a lot of water. Then drink some more.

+1...

and yes even with the added fluids, i usually feel a little out of sorts for a day or two. fluids, easy easy spin or walk helps

Dead Man
06-21-2016, 11:14 PM
If it doesn't hurt a bit during the massage, then it is not deep tissue :)

Sometimes I want to cry....? Must qualify

evo111@comcast.net
06-22-2016, 09:50 AM
Go back for rounds two and three. It gets better each time!

dgauthier
06-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Is it normal to feel tired, out of sorts...

...You gonna hate me for the next 3 days".
She was dead on...

...your body feels like it's been in a car accident...

Yes it is normal. You'll feel a lot better in a couple of days.

I call baloney on this. Our bodies are the result of millions of years of evolution. They know what's good for them. When something feels good, it *is* good. And when something feels bad...it's bad.

You feel like crap because the linebacker bruised and otherwise injured you. Simple as that.

chrisroph
06-22-2016, 10:26 AM
I've been getting a monthly massage for the past several years. It can leave you feeling a bit out of sorts for a couple days afterwards, especially if you are all effed up when you walk in, but for me it is extremely beneficial for overall health and relieving chronic issues.

seric
06-22-2016, 11:05 AM
I call baloney on this. Our bodies are the result of millions of years of evolution. They know what's good for them. When something feels good, it *is* good. And when something feels bad...it's bad.

You feel like crap because the linebacker bruised and otherwise injured you. Simple as that.

I just finished my weekly deadlift session, by your logic this was bad for me. By the same logic eating a couple of donuts and doing a line of coke would have been a better use of my time.

sandyrs
06-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Are you seriously saying this on a cycling forum?

Seramount
06-22-2016, 12:04 PM
...something feels good, it *is* good. And when something feels bad...it's bad.

simplistic...and wrong.

54ny77
06-22-2016, 12:20 PM
A proper off-season training regimen always includes Krispy Kreme and a side of Yayo.

I just finished my weekly deadlift session, by your logic this was bad for me. By the same logic eating a couple of donuts and doing a line of coke would have been a better use of my time.

Kirk007
06-22-2016, 12:20 PM

As many have stated, massage, particularly deep tissue, trigger point yada yada is breaking up adhesions in fascia, releasing metabolites, allowing muscles to release tension. Accupunture and many other non-Western therapies are similar. Movement is good; being stuck is bad, and getting movement back is necessary for optimal health particularly athletic endeavors. You can't get from one state to the other without a physical reaction. Which state is being in good health and which is being injured? (I know the answer for me).

And the calling baloney comment - I find that somewhat disrespectful to these health care providers. A licensed massage therapist goes through an intensive two year plus program that is heavily science oriented. The good ones then develop years and years of experience, and it shows up in their therapy. I've had a lot of these types of therapy (my wife is a licensed massage therapist so we end up with lots of connections in this community). I've never met one who was worth a damn (oh and that includes accupunturists and physical therapists) who didn't warn of these exact same symptoms and give the same advice - fluids etc. after a session when they've really gotten after it.

To the OP - lots of fluids and more regular stretching and massage will help lessen the I feel like crap the next day phenomena.

Mikej
06-22-2016, 12:31 PM
oxy feels good...

06-22-2016, 12:48 PM
as many have stated, massage, particularly deep tissue, trigger point yada yada is breaking up adhesions in fascia, releasing metabolites, allowing muscles to release tension. Accupunture and many other non-western therapies are similar. Movement is good; being stuck is bad, and getting movement back is necessary for optimal health particularly athletic endeavors. You can't get from one state to the other without a physical reaction. Which state is being in good health and which is being injured? (i know the answer for me).

And the calling baloney comment - i find that somewhat disrespectful to these health care providers. A licensed massage therapist goes through an intensive two year plus program that is heavily science oriented. The good ones then develop years and years of experience, and it shows up in their therapy. I've had a lot of these types of therapy (my wife is a licensed massage therapist so we end up with lots of connections in this community). I've never met one who was worth a damn (oh and that includes accupunturists and physical therapists) who didn't warn of these exact same symptoms and give the same advice - fluids etc. After a session when they've really gotten after it.

To the op - lots of fluids and more regular stretching and massage will help lessen the i feel like crap the next day phenomena.

+1

goonster
06-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Our bodies are the result of millions of years of evolution

Evolution reinforces procreation, not pain-free recovery of middle-aged athletes.

dgauthier
06-22-2016, 11:12 PM

Does post exercise soreness really feel exactly the same as injury to you?

Post exercise soreness feels good! It's just enough of a deterrent to keep you from overdoing it while your muscles rebuild, but there's a...a...*splendid* quality to the pain that makes you want to do it again. Real injury sucks. It hurts, badly, and there's nothing about it that you want to repeat.

I would expect the OP to say he's sore, but it's a *good* kinda sore. If he really feels like crap, to the point he needs to post about it to see if it's supposed to suck this much, well, that's bad. His body's telling him something, and he should listen to his body.

06-23-2016, 08:10 AM
He simply described it as "tired" and "blah." He didn't describe any symptoms suggestive of bruising (even though sometimes bruising in deep tissue massage is not a sign of inappropriate manipulation) or of actual soft tissue damage. The OP can elaborate, but this comment was still inappropriate.

mg2ride
06-23-2016, 08:24 AM
I leave very happy and wanting some rest from my massages. Even when they are "hard" ("hard" is the Asian translation for deep tissue).

I once did try to ride just hours after a massage and it was an epic fail. My legs were mush.

I also question the benefit of the very painful deep tissue massages. While there needs to be some discomfort to get the release from the muscles, I think there is a point of diminishing returns regarding how deep they go. Many legit therapist go considerably deeper when massaging men to prevent the awkwardness of arousal.

grawk
06-23-2016, 08:28 AM
nothing that happens after you've already had kids impacts evolution (unless it involves killing kids)

christian
06-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Closet Lamarckians on a cycling forum LOL.

dgauthier
06-23-2016, 09:23 AM
He simply described it as "tired" and "blah." (...)

Please check the title, sir.

Wow, my dissent really seems to have touched a nerve on this thread. Perhaps I should become a masseuse... :D

I am not assailing the whole discipline of massage therapy, just the notion that feeling worse than you did before the massage is somehow a good result. His masseuse blundered and went at it too hard. Why is that such an objectionable idea?

Kirk007
06-23-2016, 12:16 PM
.... just the notion that feeling worse than you did before the massage is somehow a good result. His masseuse blundered and went at it too hard. Why is that such an objectionable idea?

Because his massage therapist may not have blundered at all and you are assuming too much about the patient and the provider or know too little about the practice and therapeutic modalities.

You yourself point to soreness after a workout as a legitimate response, this is no different other than its a different type of response than most who engage in sports are familiar with.

You may be right; none of us really know but the symptoms described by the OP are quite common particularly for someone who has a lot of adhesions to work out.

Kingfisher
06-23-2016, 12:17 PM
OP here, well it has been two full days of rest and I do feel much better. I have had massages before but was never in this much pain afterward. I won't go back to this guy again.

I do believe massage works but the therapist has to be good and well trained. Maybe it was my fault for not communicating prior to the massage.

Anyway, feeling better and thanks for the comments.

Ken Robb
06-23-2016, 12:20 PM
OP here, well it has been two full days of rest and I do feel much better. I have had massages before but was never in this much pain afterward. I won't go back to this guy again.

I do believe massage works but the therapist has to be good and well trained. Maybe it was my fault for not communicating prior to the massage.

Anyway, feeling better and thanks for the comments.

Or perhaps you could have asked him to ease up while he was hurting you more than you wanted?

toytech
06-23-2016, 06:06 PM
I have been getting semi regular dt massage for several years, the amount of discomfort etc afterwards seems to be proportionate to how messed up I am to start. A good dt session is almost like magic for my back and shoulders. I have had back spasms so severe that I get rib dislocations at the spine. After 90 minutes my back is back to a normal configuration and my messed up ex auto mechanic shoulders have full range of motion again. I do have some light but not visible bruising and drink A LOT of water for a day after. The after affects never last more than a couple days though. 90 minutes is the sweet spot for me, less and I need multiple sessions.

seric
06-23-2016, 08:43 PM
I have been getting semi regular dt massage for several years, the amount of discomfort etc afterwards seems to be proportionate to how messed up I am to start. A good dt session is almost like magic for my back and shoulders. I have had back spasms so severe that I get rib dislocations at the spine. After 90 minutes my back is back to a normal configuration and my messed up ex auto mechanic shoulders have full range of motion again. I do have some light but not visible bruising and drink A LOT of water for a day after. The after affects never last more than a couple days though. 90 minutes is the sweet spot for me, less and I need multiple sessions.

This makes sense, the more messed up you are going in, the more manipulation is needed to get everything right. The manipulation releases myoglobin as an unfortunate side effect. Water dilutes it, however if you have immune issues it's better to go in for multiple gentler massages instead of getting everything worked out at once.

Black Dog
06-23-2016, 10:03 PM
nothing that happens after you've already had kids impacts evolution (unless it involves killing kids)

Except for the parental care bit.