PDA

View Full Version : Strava Promo

bobswire
06-21-2016, 07:38 AM
I don't know if this has been posted already but it's new to me and I like its low key message.

http://blog.strava.com/strive/

tbar23
06-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Nice.

cinco
06-21-2016, 08:13 AM
and inspiring. Makes me wish I wasn't stuck at WORK right now.

Andy in Houston

txcid05
06-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Great way to start the day. Thanks for the post, hadn't seen that yet! :cool:

Cornfed
06-21-2016, 08:52 AM
That was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

MattTuck
06-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Interesting.

36 shots with multiple people. 4 with just a single person (and one of those was a woman and her dog, so not completely alone).

Clearly an aspirational message focused on the social aspect of fitness. And not on doing exercise alone, and then uploading it. Did not see much of a focus, if at all, on their actual product or devices.

I thought it was pretty well done.

hooter
06-21-2016, 09:37 AM
Thumbs up for Strava for a well done video.

CampyorBust
06-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Just don’t mind me as I crest this hill before ye.:D

Don’t know it rings false, disingenuous and contrived to me. Sure its all about being an athlete, but a video of people competing albeit not intensely telling me it is not about competition and measuring yourself against other riders – bleh. My take - you want to be an athlete and log your rides then map my ride or one of the others, you want to measure wangs and (for some) pretend your not measuring wangs because your “above that” well then STRAVA! Please don’t make Strava into another form of social handcuffs. Strava is not a support group dammit!:crap: The beer after is don’t confuse the two.:beer:

Don’t get me wrong the social aspect of Strava is pretty cool and you can meet some cool cats that way. Nevetheless you have those annoying kudos things, don’t know about yall but I had my fill in the 90s (budumching!). No seriously the politics of kudos boggles my primitive computing capacity. I see people doling them out on mediocre rides, and my kudos are like my phaks I give very few and only to those who truly deserve them. I hereby put forth we should have a limit on kudos, like 10 a month. Better yet if you really kick butt you get fewer so your kudos carry more umph. A Phak Yeah rule should be instituted, whereby you only give kudos when you see a ride and the achievement make you go phak yeah!

Having said all that I think restraint and a sharing is caring attitude is nice to see in Strava. Wait at least two weeks to re-claim a KOM. Don’t take all the KOMs in a single area, spread the love. Oh wait here it comes ... Kumbaya my lord... KOMbaYAH!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/BLWkKMECYAACDZv.jpg-small_zps0owdrgzx.jpeg

We need a Strava etiquette thread…

Raffy
06-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Wow that was cool, I liked it. Coming from someone who uses Strava but is usually a curmudgeon about it.

notsew
06-21-2016, 10:58 AM
This is a four star rant. Extra points for the pic.

But hey, Kudos are free and everybody loves kudos! you can't devalue something that is valueless.

Just don’t mind me as I crest this hill before ye.:D

Don’t know it rings false, disingenuous and contrived to me. Sure its all about being an athlete, but a video of people competing albeit not intensely telling me it is not about competition and measuring yourself against other riders – bleh. My take - you want to be an athlete and log your rides then map my ride or one of the others, you want to measure wangs and (for some) pretend your not measuring wangs because your “above that” well then STRAVA! Please don’t make Strava into another form of social handcuffs. Strava is not a support group dammit!:crap: The beer after is don’t confuse the two.:beer:

Don’t get me wrong the social aspect of Strava is pretty cool and you can meet some cool cats that way. Nevetheless you have those annoying kudos things, don’t know about yall but I had my fill in the 90s (budumching!). No seriously the politics of kudos boggles my primitive computing capacity. I see people doling them out on mediocre rides, and my kudos are like my phaks I give very few and only to those who truly deserve them. I hereby put forth we should have a limit on kudos, like 10 a month. Better yet if you really kick butt you get fewer so your kudos carry more umph. A Phak Yeah rule should be instituted, whereby you only give kudos when you see a ride and the achievement make you go phak yeah!

Having said all that I think restraint and a sharing is caring attitude is nice to see in Strava. Wait at least two weeks to re-claim a KOM. Don’t take all the KOMs in a single area, spread the love. Oh wait here it comes ... Kumbaya my lord... KOMbaYAH!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/BLWkKMECYAACDZv.jpg-small_zps0owdrgzx.jpeg

We need a Strava etiquette thread…

MattTuck
06-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Whip Kudo Inflation Now!

Fight stravflation! Give fewer Kudos.

krhea
06-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Hate Strava.

Love, absolutely LOVE the promo piece, very well done.

Still hate Strava.

Rant over.

Dead Man
06-21-2016, 12:06 PM
I think folks are missing the point of kudos...

Kudos send a notification to your phone, which you will get.. and when you get, you'll go to your strava app and see not only the dumb little kudos, but also the ride that the person who gave you kudos just uploaded. Because that's the only time we look at each others rides and give kudos, is when we upload our rides OR when someone sends a notification to our phone.

Kudos is a friendly passive aggressive "check my ride out" request. Nothing more.

:banana:

Video didn't really do anything for me.... but probably because A), I noted that almost all of the shots were of multiple people apparenltly just out having fun and I kept thinking to myself I almost never ride with anyone else, except during races.. and my training is never fun.. so that was kind of distracting, and B) I was really only watching to see what the angle was, and to get my "promo" code to join Premium for free... which I've been waiting for a couple of months.... but then I realized the "promo" part must just meant "promotional" in a strict sense, not promo code.............

So..

I was basicaly just kinda disappointed.

bobswire
06-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Hate Strava.

Love, absolutely LOVE the promo piece, very well done.

Still hate Strava.

Rant over.

I have STRAVA but don't use it, I think of it more as a competitive app as compared to Garmin or MapMyFitness which I basically use to record my mileage etc. Being 71 I really don't care if CamyorBust crests me at the top of the hill. Having said that there are a lot of hills in San Francisco, so he would have a difficult time finding me much less cresting me on all these hill. :) https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1215980790

CampyorBust
06-21-2016, 01:08 PM
This is a four star rant. Extra points for the pic.

But hey, Kudos are free and everybody loves kudos! you can't devalue something that is valueless.

Thanks, so am I a four star General or just a Marriot with a view? How do I upgrade to the Ritz?

I have STRAVA but don't use it, I think of it more as a competitive app as compared to Garmin or MapMyFitness which I basically use to record my mileage etc. Being 71 I really don't care if CamyorBust crests me at the top of the hill. Having said that there are a lot of hills in San Francisco, so he would have a difficult time finding me much less cresting me on all these hill. :) https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1215980790

Bobswire my comment was in no way directed at you, simply referring to the video where the guy crests before his riding buddy. I wager you would give me a righteous thumping on them punchy San Fran hills. I think they could have saved it by adding just a dash of humor like having the guy give a little winkaroo after cresting first. It’s just too bland, feelgoody, safe and all inclusive for my taste. To downplay Strava’s competitive nature seems a bit deceitful and phony.

Wait stop the presses that cute chick with the braid is riding Campy… Best promo ever!:banana:

bobswire
06-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks, so am I a four star General or just a Marriot with a view? How do I upgrade to the Ritz?

Bobswire my comment was in no way directed at you, simply referring to the video where the guy crests before his riding buddy. I wager you would give me a righteous thumping on them punchy San Fran hills. I think they could have saved it by adding just a dash of humor like having the guy give a little winkaroo after cresting first. It’s just too bland, feelgoody, safe and all inclusive for my taste. To downplay Strava’s competitive nature seems a bit deceitful and phony.

Wait stop the presses that cute chick with the braid is riding Campy… Best promo ever!:banana:

I understood where you were going with your post in fact I thought it was well done and your points have merit. Obviously it was kinda click bait to get unsuspecting cyclists to join in STRAVA, once they do they'll be hooked.

Before Strava:

http://i68.tinypic.com/msbya1.jpg

After being seduced by Strava:

http://i67.tinypic.com/14318vp.jpg

MattTuck
06-21-2016, 02:13 PM
To be honest, Strava is an indispensable resource for me as a cyclist.

Yes, there is definitely some stuff (kudos, leaderboard competitions) that tilts towards self-congratulatory ego stoking... but, that is a small price to pay, in my opinion.

In return for that, I get to actually see what rides people in my area are going on. I've discovered a ton of new roads, both 'segments' and also just new routes that are actually interesting. The sheer amount of information is mind boggling. Also, there are usually some pretty good comments on rides to alert people to road closures/construction work.

If I'm traveling somewhere new, and want to ride, I'd use a combination of asking here on paceline, and also looking at strava routes.

tiretrax
06-21-2016, 09:18 PM
He has a great story about a couple he overheard talking about Strava during the Ride the Rockies.

purpurite
06-21-2016, 09:40 PM
The cynicism in here is stupid thick. Seriously, if you don't like Strava, don't use it and don't bitch about it on forums.

It's become invaluable for me on my rides. It shows me that even when I feel like I've had a weak ride or felt like my legs were dead, that very often I'm improving, and with great consistency. It's like golf for me—I play by myself and compete against my own times and performance, but a little extra kick from someone playing the exact same course as me can be a great motivator to continue to improve myself and my condition.

We get it, Strava is the cycling antichrist. It's everything wrong about getting fit and being a competitive person. It's ruining a perfectly good hobby.

You know what? The guys I rode with 20 years ago were just as competitive on a "fun" ride long before there were GPS stopwatches timing the rides. The only difference was that when they dropped me back then, I had no idea that I was getting faster with every ride, right along with them.

Geesh. If you don't like the song, turn off the radio, FFS.

Louis
06-21-2016, 09:47 PM
To be honest, Strava is an indispensable resource for me as a cyclist.

Matt, according the the Strava web site they still have an office in Hanover. Do you ever run into any of the folks while you're out and about?