PDA

View Full Version : Campy-illiterate

p nut
06-20-2016, 10:10 PM
Never had Campagnolo stuff before but always wanted to try it. I've got a bike coming with low end Shimano group that I'm going to switch out. But I don't know the first thing about which group to get.

I don't want to commit too much so I'll probably look at slightly used stuff, which probably means 9 or 10-speed.

What's sort of the "working-man's" level componentry on the Campagnolo side? All those carbon bits are too fancy and more than I want to spend. I just need something that will give me good performance at reasonable cost. Just wanted some opinions before diving into Ebay/classifieds. Thanks.

d_douglas
06-20-2016, 10:15 PM
Centaur is the baseline for good Campy quality. Used Athena would be something to seek out - I have some alloy stuff that I think is really great.

Funny, I am a. Campy guy and the recent rental of an Ultegra equipped bike on a holiday has me thinking that I would try Shimano next time!

dgauthier
06-21-2016, 12:06 AM
Centaur is nice stuff, but with Chorus you get identical function to the higher priced groupsets for a small weight penalty, whereas with Centaur, you actually give up some level of functionality.

Here's a nice breakdown of the current groupsets from Performance Bicycle:

http://learn.performancebike.com/bikes/advice/buyers-guides/bike-parts-and-components/basic-guide-introduction-to-campagnolo-road-groupsets

The upshot here is that Chorus is functionally identical to, and shares many parts with, the more expensive Record (and Super Record, which didn't exist during the 9 and 10 speed periods). It has always been this way, even with the 9 and 10 speed groupsets. Chorus is just a bit heavier because it has some steel and alloy parts rather than ti and carbon. In fact, if one is seeking lower maintenance and improved durability one might find Chorus preferable regardless of budget because of those steel and alloy parts.

skiezo
06-21-2016, 03:56 AM
I have been a campy guy for 30+ years so here is my opinion.
I would seek out some 10 speed chorus levers,FD and RD. Cassette can be centaur or chorus as they last much longer than the other 2 higher end group cassettes. Brakes either centaur or chorus. Any brand 10 speed crank will work just fine.
I have a 10 speed chorus group that has 20,000 miles on it and had the shifters rebuilt once.
Give it a try and let us know what you think.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2016, 06:04 AM
Never had Campagnolo stuff before but always wanted to try it. I've got a bike coming with low end Shimano group that I'm going to switch out. But I don't know the first thing about which group to get.

I don't want to commit too much so I'll probably look at slightly used stuff, which probably means 9 or 10-speed.

What's sort of the "working-man's" level componentry on the Campagnolo side? All those carbon bits are too fancy and more than I want to spend. I just need something that will give me good performance at reasonable cost. Just wanted some opinions before diving into Ebay/classifieds. Thanks.

Hard to beat Centaur or even Veloce stuff. Decide which lever shape suits you. 2009 and later Ultra-shift, 'gumby' hood, most comfy, IMHO or older. If older, look for 2006 and older Centaur/Veloce or metal Chorus. You can recognize 'preferred' shifter type by a slot in the hood for the thumb buttons, rather just a hole in the hood for the thumb buttons.

If ya find something on eBay or something, zing me the link and I'll take a look.

Pchisholm172@gmail.com

chiasticon
06-21-2016, 07:58 AM
looking into them recently, I find their naming/marketing kinda confusing. there's currently seven mechanical road groups (and three e-groups). :eek:

as a new Campy user, you kinda just wanna know "what's their Dura Ace? what's their 105?, etc.." but picking Super Record as their DA is allegedly not right because Campy says it's much better and that in fact Chorus = Dura Ace and Potenza = Ultegra. hmmm...

maybe it'd be more clear cut if I'd been riding the stuff for three decades, but coming into it green, it's confusing.

(not to derail the subject, just saying I understand the OP's confusion.)

sloar
06-21-2016, 08:06 AM
I've had great luck with Veloce from Ribblecycles. Flawless groupset at a great price.

Tickdoc
06-21-2016, 08:11 AM
Good luck. I had one mechanical Ultegra equipped bike and one Sram red equipped bike, then I bought an old bike with a total campy 10sp mix and it ruined me forever.

All campy now. I just love it.

That's just me, though.

bobswire
06-21-2016, 08:28 AM
To save some money before jumping all in just get some 9 or 10 speed campy shifters, they work fine with shimano components even some cassettes (8 or 9 speed). 8 speed shimano cassettes work great with either 9/10 speed campy shifters. Also I prefer Ultegra/DA brake calipers with the opening release better than campy brakes that allow better tire clearance.

thirdgenbird
06-21-2016, 09:07 AM
looking into them recently, I find their naming/marketing kinda confusing. there's currently seven mechanical road groups (and three e-groups). :eek:

There is 6 vs shimano's 5. The "extra" is because they are sort of in a transition.

Super record
Record
Chorus
Potenza/Athena
Veloce

Dura-ace
Ultegra
Tiargra
Sora

Potenza is replacing 2x Athena groups. It's really just a new Athena group with a new name. Athena is going to stick around as a triple only group.

The three electronic groups follow the same naming convention and structure. 105 di2 pictures have already hit the internet so Shimano is about to be in the same boat. Both lineups will be very similar with the exception being the 3x11 Athena offering. (Shimano has no 3x11 offering)

It's hard to draw a direct comparison across the entire lineups. The cost, weight and features of both lineups are not a matching linear progression. They haven't been for quite some time and it appears to work fine for both parties.

Edit:
Here is how I would rank the groups on paper. I am a c10 guy so I can't give a fair functional rating off my experiance.
Super record
Record - dura-ace
Chorus
Potenza - Ultegra
Veloce - tiagra
Sora

(I left Athena out as it is sort of a unique animal. I wouldn't be surprised if Campag kills it pending the success of the wide range Potenza offering)

Campagnolo puts emphasis at the top and Shimano at the bottom. It makes sense considering the markets each chase.

thwart
06-21-2016, 10:57 AM
To save some money before jumping all in just get some 9 or 10 speed campy shifters, they work fine with shimano components even some cassettes (8 or 9 speed). 8 speed shimano cassettes work great with either 9/10 speed campy shifters. Also I prefer Ultegra/DA brake calipers with the opening release better than campy brakes that allow better tire clearance.

Bob's trying to be helpful, and his heart's in the right place. But there are some indexing differences between Shimano and Campy at the 9 and 10 spd levels; not so in 11 spd. These indexing differences could make some Shimano users think Campy shifting is innately inferior, if all they do is switch ergos (shifters).

Mzilliox
06-21-2016, 11:18 AM
Good luck. I had one mechanical Ultegra equipped bike and one Sram red equipped bike, then I bought an old bike with a total campy 10sp mix and it ruined me forever.

All campy now. I just love it.

That's just me, though.

This. when you can get Record 10spd in good shape for sub 500, its hard t look elsewhere. mix in chorus as needed, when you prefer silver, or to save cash. Run any crankset that fits in your BB. done.

I have a few parts laying around if ya wanna PM me...

good luck

redearedslider5
06-21-2016, 11:32 AM
I went through the same thing a few years ago when I first started riding and ended up settling on 10 speed chorus. Same reasons as above, all the record performance with a minor weight penalty and lower price. I ride steel so I'm not terribly concerned with the weight. Since then, I've ridden centaur, record, daytona, and chorus, across 9/10/11 speeds. I've found the 9 speed stuff has the most 'click' to it, if that makes sense but that might just be wear since I only buy used. Maybe, old spud can chime in on that one. I also generally prefer the rounded hoods in the ten speed era.

bobswire
06-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Bob's trying to be helpful, and his heart's in the right place. But there are some indexing differences between Shimano and Campy at the 9 and 10 spd levels; not so in 11 spd. These indexing differences could make some Shimano users think Campy shifting is innately inferior, if all they do is switch ergos (shifters).

That's why I highlighted 8 speed cassettes at least for me it works like a charm, never miss a beat. Then again I'm a fly by the seat of my pants rider/wrench where rules are made to be broken. ;)

oldpotatoe
06-21-2016, 12:32 PM
That's why I highlighted 8 speed cassettes at least for me it works like a charm, never miss a beat. Then again I'm a fly by the seat of my pants rider/wrench where rules are made to be broken. ;)

BUT not Campag rear Der, si? To shift shimano 8s spacing....

There are some oddball combos out there that do work, like Campag 10 shifters and spam(ugh!!) rear Ders shifting shimano/scam 10s spacing...but for 'best results', make it all Campag...don't sully it up, it knows, you know.

Ralph
06-21-2016, 12:47 PM
Veloce parts are so cheap new from UK, don't see much need to buy old parts used. Besides.....what some folks call "gently used" in their ads.... are usually hi mileage parts. Also....early summer not the time to be buying Campy parts used on E Bay. Check out a full Veloce groupo at Ribble. New and works perfect. You don't have to wonder about what works with what.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Veloce parts are so cheap new from UK, don't see much need to buy old parts used. Besides.....what some folks call "gently used" in their ads.... are usually hi mileage parts. Also....early summer not the time to be buying Campy parts used on E Bay. Check out a full Veloce groupo at Ribble. New and works perfect. You don't have to wonder about what works with what.

Yup, compact and 12(13)-29....much better 'droopy' thumb buttons, really nice stuff.

bobswire
06-21-2016, 02:13 PM
BUT not Campag rear Der, si? To shift shimano 8s spacing....

There are some oddball combos out there that do work, like Campag 10 shifters and spam(ugh!!) rear Ders shifting shimano/scam 10s spacing...but for 'best results', make it all Campag...don't sully it up, it knows, you know.

Actually two of my bike are all Campy except brakes/wheels since I had too many nice shimano wheels to invest in campy wheels plus a much greater choice of cassettes. What can I say I'm cheap (and poor).

RonW87
06-21-2016, 03:02 PM

Absolutely agree. New Veloce, most of the time, is cheaper than used. This also applies to Athena, which I would recommend to OP. For $500 or so (from Ribble), gets you into the 11 speed world for just a slight premium over Veloce.

redearedslider5
06-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Long version: I would throw in that you may find a specific preference that doesn't necessarily relate to number of speeds, age, etc. For example, I love the 8 and 9 speed era of shimano. The 8 speed has a great chunky feeling to the shifts. The 9 speed is very subtle and quiet but still has a good feel. Can't stand 10 or 11 speed though. Meanwhile, I love 9 and 10 speed campy. Never been a big fan of the 8 speed era, just looks dated to me, though I still would like to own the group since I haven't given it a fair shake yet. I did own 11 speed chorus and I wasn't a fan of the taller shifters. That said, ~$400-$500 could buy any of the groups I like.

Short version: try stuff out and see what you like!

p nut
06-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Wow, thanks for all the insights! And thanks to those that offered up parts. I think I like the idea of Veloce from Ribble the best. I'll need to get Campagnolo freehub for my DT hub but should be set other than that (and cables, too, I guess).

Thanks again!

rustychisel
06-21-2016, 09:51 PM
Yes, late to this, but the Veloce is a great deal.

I was going to suggest old 10 speed Daytona/Mirage or Chorus but at those prices... enjoy.

Black Dog
06-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Wow, thanks for all the insights! And thanks to those that offered up parts. I think I like the idea of Veloce from Ribble the best. I'll need to get Campagnolo freehub for my DT hub but should be set other than that (and cables, too, I guess).

Thanks again!

A new group will come with cables.

ceolwulf
06-21-2016, 11:26 PM
Veloce is pretty great.

I'd be a bit tempted to wait till Potenza is readily available. Mainly just for the eleven speed. Not that one needs it but that is basically the standard and looks like it will be for a while.

Also the self-extracting bolt on the cranks that is new to Potenza is a really nice addition. Veloce will require special tools (well, a bearing puller essentially) if you want to remove the crank.

p nut
06-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Veloce is pretty great.

I'd be a bit tempted to wait till Potenza is readily available. Mainly just for the eleven speed. Not that one needs it but that is basically the standard and looks like it will be for a while.

Also the self-extracting bolt on the cranks that is new to Potenza is a really nice addition. Veloce will require special tools (well, a bearing puller essentially) if you want to remove the crank.

Hm, just watched a couple Park videos on the crank removal. For aluminum, they've got that big plastic piece that slides onto the crank arm for the puller to latch onto. For carbon, just a piece of cardboard? Seems backwards.

More tools to buy, I guess...

chrisroph
06-22-2016, 10:32 AM
New athena 11 speed from the UK is very hard to beat. It works very well and is amazingly inexpensive.