PDA

View Full Version : Ever hit a bear while riding your bicycle?

HenryA
06-20-2016, 05:16 PM
This guy did:

http://nbc4i.com/2016/06/20/mountain-biker-collides-with-bear-on-trail/

(Turn the volume down, there's an F bomb in there.)

Bradford
06-20-2016, 05:41 PM
Last week, I was riding Ute Pass in Colorado with Tiretrax and a we just missed a bear on the road by a few minutes. A guy behind us was just riding along when the bear ran out in front of him.

The good news is that he didn't hit the bear, the bad news is that he whipped his bike away so fast he hit another rider and ended up in the hospital for stitches.

And that was on a paved road.

joosttx
06-20-2016, 05:48 PM
once during a drunken folsom street fair.

saab2000
06-20-2016, 05:54 PM
No, but I saw a dead black bear in the ditch on a 90º summer day in Wisconsin. It was 'ripe' to say the least. I would not have wanted to live within 5 miles downwind of that scene.

AllanVarcoe
06-20-2016, 06:00 PM
No but I did ride past one a while ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/o2hyavu71O/?taken-by=varcocycles

dustyrider
06-20-2016, 06:08 PM
That guy was totally cool about the whole thing...

Zoodles
06-20-2016, 06:12 PM
Almost...I was riding on a lonely dirt road towing my then 8 mo old Boy. He was cooing so I was turned looking back at him when a wet snarling mess shot out of the grass straight in front of me. Gave the bars a yank back and missed it by inches.
The bear actually crossed our path again a minute later but was more scared than we were.

CampyorBust
06-20-2016, 06:22 PM
Whatevs he wasn't even pinning it. :rolleyes:

Actually saw what I believe to be a bear in the woods a little while ago and have seen em before. They are out there that's for sure even in rural New England. The one I did see was huge for a black bear.

I almost hit a Coywolf/dog on the roadbike a few weeks ago. I was going fairly quick about 25mph and this not so little guy decides to dart across the road a few feet in front of my wheel and into the swamp.

Black Dog
06-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Come up on many bears and moose. No real worries. However came up on a large limousine bull roaming the roads. 1200kg of anger. I puckered tight when I saw him and way tighter when he looked over his shoulder and saw me. I got out of there and called the cops. They had been looking for him for hours and he had all ready wrecked several cars that day.

Frankwurst
06-20-2016, 07:08 PM
No, but I saw a dead black bear in the ditch on a 90º summer day in Wisconsin. It was 'ripe' to say the least. I would not have wanted to live within 5 miles downwind of that scene.

That's rare. Not seeing a dead black bear, seeing a 90 degree day in Wisconsin.:beer:

saab2000
06-20-2016, 07:10 PM
That's rare. Not seeing a dead black bear, seeing a 90 degree day in Wisconsin.:beer:

Are you from the Midwest? Lately it's been roasting hot! Today was a reasonable 80º or so in Minneapolis (where I currently live) but summers in the Midwest can be hot and humid and unpleasant at times. Yesterday was about 92º in MSP.

No A/C in my apartment....

Veloo
06-20-2016, 07:14 PM
Can "bearly" see it cuz it's crossing in the shaded part.

Scuzzer
06-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Come up on many bears and moose. No real worries.

Really? I guess I've had an unnatural fear of moose ever since my first (or second?) trip up to Anchorage to do the Iditabike when it was all over the news that a woman had left the library and been stomped to death by a startled moose just outside the entrance.

I was riding a 50# fully loaded touring bike over Boreas Pass in a rainstorm a few years ago when I came around a corner and through my rain soaked glasses saw a horse a hundred feet or so in front of me. I thought "why is there a horse way up here?" and continued to wheeze my large ass up the hill. About 25 feet from the "horse" I stopped because I didn't want to spook it and lifted my glasses, that's when I realized it was a moose. It spun around way faster than something that large should be able to do, did two stomps and snorts towards me and then flew into the impossibly steep ravine next to the road.

I had multiple orifices still clenched when my buddy caught up with me standing there a few minutes later.

cadence90
06-20-2016, 07:38 PM
However came up on a large limousine bull roaming the roads. 1200kg of anger. I puckered tight when I saw him and way tighter when he looked over his shoulder and saw me. I got out of there and called the cops. They had been looking for him for hours and he had all ready wrecked several cars that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoGGDKV88Fg

guido
06-20-2016, 08:00 PM
They have seen lots of them on the Tour Divide race this year.

brendonk
06-20-2016, 11:04 PM
I was on the ride over Ute pass as well but missed the excitement.
Drove over it yesterday looking for the bear but no luck.

Joxster
06-21-2016, 03:50 AM
I've seen a couple when in the Alps, I wasn't aware of then until I saw a sheperd with a shot gun and as we came round the next corner there was a mid sized Brown Bear. Back in 1987 the village I lived in had a Boar reserve just up the road, as we were driving back one afternoon there was a grumpy male boar standing in the road. Bernard honked the horn a few times and it give us the look like he'd just flicked us the bird, so Bernard nudged it with the car and it nudged back a bit harder. We had a bit of a stand off till Bernard had enough, got out his police firearm and shot it, we loaded it in to the back off the car, he was a heavy fecker (around 350lbs) and when we got back its was skinned and butchered, we had boar for the next six months. I wanted to get a set of shorts and a gillet made from the hide.

OLB
06-21-2016, 10:53 AM
I've never seen a bear or moose while riding, but I did run over a baby skunk once. Just the tail, so it survived. My bike needed to be left out a couple days and a good washing.

cnighbor1
06-21-2016, 03:55 PM
while going down a hill a bear (read that sure looked big to me) in Washington Cascades east side crossed the road in front of me
I was going down hill at least 25 mph
If I turned back up hill I was good for maybe 6 mph that I knew was easy for a bear to do. so thinking fast (has I was going fast) I keep going getting to the middle of the road hoping bears can't do 25 mph and catch me
seems they can go that fast and down hill at that

Black Dog
06-21-2016, 04:13 PM
while going down a hill a bear (read that sure looked big to me) in Washington Cascades east side crossed the road in front of me
I was going down hill at least 25 mph
If I turned back up hill I was good for maybe 6 mph that I knew was easy for a bear to do. so thinking fast (has I was going fast) I keep going getting to the middle of the road hoping bears can't do 25 mph and catch me
seems they can go that fast and down hill at that

Bears can sprint up to 30mph! You do not need to be faster than the bear that is chasing you, just faster than the person you are with. ;)

Hindmost
06-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Several years back, I was MTBing down a canyon fire road back to the Lake Tahoe west shore when a very large, dark-colored dog ambled across 20 yards in front of me. After two heart beats, #$%&, that is no dog! I prepared to sprint all the way back to the lake then decided to stop and roll back and take a look. He took little notice of me and appeared to chill in his own meadow on a summer afternoon.

charliedid
06-21-2016, 09:04 PM
I came "this" close to hitting a small black bear in Montana about 20 years ago, on a mountain bike.

Bears are FAST!

hartmmike
06-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Several years ago, I was sitting on the side of the road fixing a flat when a black bear crossed the road about 100-150 yards away from me into the cornfield behind me. Probably the fasted i ever fixed a flat.

Sierra
06-22-2016, 07:34 AM
I've never hit a bear or deer or any other critter while riding and I'm sure this is purely out of luck because I've seen plenty of them.

These days, it seems, I come a lot closer to hitting one of the many homeless who seem to be increasingly "camping" out in the backcountry. I suppose this is one of the reasons we are seeing so many wildfires being started in the West.

tiretrax
06-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Mama must be close by - I'd get back on the bike and fly away:

http://www.tetongravity.com/video/bike/bear-tests-bikers-reflexes-ends-messy?utm_source=TGR+Master+Newsletter+List&utm_campaign=787be289f0-Tram_Line_6_226_21_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_02c03531f8-787be289f0-275059253

tiretrax
06-22-2016, 08:41 AM
I've seen a couple when in the Alps, I wasn't aware of then until I saw a sheperd with a shot gun and as we came round the next corner there was a mid sized Brown Bear. Back in 1987 the village I lived in had a Boar reserve just up the road, as we were driving back one afternoon there was a grumpy male boar standing in the road. Bernard honked the horn a few times and it give us the look like he'd just flicked us the bird, so Bernard nudged it with the car and it nudged back a bit harder. We had a bit of a stand off till Bernard had enough, got out his police firearm and shot it, we loaded it in to the back off the car, he was a heavy fecker (around 350lbs) and when we got back its was skinned and butchered, we had boar for the next six months. I wanted to get a set of shorts and a gillet made from the hide.

I like your style!