PDA

View Full Version : Calling all commuters: longest distance commute on 26 mtb

bluto
06-20-2016, 05:01 PM
So the oldschool MTB thread has me wanting to pick up an older Giant I found on craigslist. I want to throw a basket on there and maybe a kid seat, but I'm curious if I can make it work for my 50K roundtrip commute.

Whats longest commute you've done on your 26er ?

Would 50K commute on 26 rigid be crazy for a weekend racer such as myself?

THX

SlackMan
06-20-2016, 05:03 PM
Would you plan to have slick tires or the usual knobby ones? With slicks, I definitely think it's doable if you can easily do the same commute on a road bike -- have you tried it on a road bike?

Kirk007
06-20-2016, 05:09 PM
You can make anything work, but if you are doing it day in and day out, well, I think a road setup is far superior - more fun, quicker, better tool for the job.

bluto
06-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Would you plan to have slick tires or the usual knobby ones? With slicks, I definitely think it's doable if you can easily do the same commute on a road bike -- have you tried it on a road bike?

Oh yeah on a road bike it's a breeze and I do it all the time. If i were to do it on a 26'er there are few dirt trails, canal paths, MUP's, and soccer fields :p:p I could cross to make it more fun.

I guess I'm just paranoid about putting a bike outfitted with Shimano Acera X (i've never even heard of that) and other 1980 component-ry through it's paces....

As for tires.....I'm thinking some INDO-STRUCTO Schwalbe Marathon Plus'es would do the trick

p nut
06-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Yeah, depends on your tolerance level. But I wouldn't mind picking up a XO1 and running it with some 26x1.75 slicks on there for road use. Key would be building up some lightweight wheels, instead of the anchors those old MTB's come with.

Also, running Marathon Plus would be absolute torture for me. 5-10 mile commutes? Sure. 50k? No thanks. Find something lighter and better riding.

bluto
06-20-2016, 05:13 PM
You can make anything work, but if you are doing it day in and day out, well, I think a road setup is far superior - more fun, quicker, better tool for the job.

tru tru.....

I am certainly not going to do it everyday....I'm just trying to justify it to the boss and say "this is grocery getter, kid hauler, ice cream cruiser, AND I CAN COMMUTE ON IT A FEW TIMES bike".....

Ken Robb
06-20-2016, 05:56 PM
With smoothish tires you might only lose a couple of MPH on pavement vs. your road bike but you would gain the ability to take the shortcuts you mentioned.

I have a Blackburn rear rack on my 1989 MB-3 that lets me use a "trunk" and/or grocery panniers that each accept a standard brown grocery bag or similar size objects/bags. It is a dandy grocery-getter and would be a good commuter as well.

You might also like a bike like this with a Nitto Dirt Drop stem and your preferred drop bars and hardware or some Albatross or similar bars that are offered by Rivendell.

adamhell
06-20-2016, 06:04 PM
some compass rat trap pass will help make it fast and enjoyable, if you're willing to ball hard.

bluto
06-20-2016, 06:09 PM
some compass rat trap pass will help make it fast and enjoyable, if you're willing to ball hard.

Gooooooodness gracious.......those are amazing

gdw
06-20-2016, 06:36 PM
I've done a copy dozen centuries on a hardtail with 26" knobbies, survived, and even had fun. Get some barends so you have more hand positions and give it a try.

JAGI410
06-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Gooooooodness gracious.......those are amazing

They are.

I did Almanzo (gravel century) on a rigid 26er, and have done a few other decent length rides on 26ers. Some fat tires like the Rat Traps or Big Apples will make commuting smooth and comfy!

bluto
06-20-2016, 10:04 PM
I've done a copy dozen centuries on a hardtail with 26" knobbies, survived, and even had fun. Get some barends so you have more hand positions and give it a try.

:hello::hello:

Good stuff !

grawk
06-20-2016, 10:05 PM
I threw some trekking bars on my old mountain bike, and it's a pleasure to ride around town now.

Peter P.
06-21-2016, 04:54 AM
I started my commuting on a 26" rigid MTB. 20 mile round trip.

The original 2.125" knobbies were a dog.

I switched to 1.5" smooth tread tires. The bike was still a dog. Maybe it was because this was the 80's, and that bike weighed close to 30lbs.

I got a road bike instead.

Today, I could probably do it on my newer rigid MTB because my position is more like my road bike, with lower handlebars. A flat bar and bar ends definitely help. 1.25" road tires would be perfect.

weisan
06-21-2016, 05:15 AM
I threw some trekking bars on my old mountain bike, and it's a pleasure to ride around town now.
Indeed! I had similar experience.

(For illustration purposes, not mine)
https://www.rei.com/media/p/1347774.jpg

Joxster
06-21-2016, 05:17 AM
I would ride the chaingang on my MTB with 26x1.95 knobblies on to make it harder for me. I was running a 53/39 and a 12-23 cassette and I could still take the sprint at the end but I would wind it up from 8km to go, we would do about 80km.