PDA

View Full Version : rattling sound from zipp 404 hub?

ivanooze
06-20-2016, 11:48 AM
so i just started throwing down some serious mileage on my 404s. at first i was on an 11 spd. bike with these wheels but i recently converted it to a 10 spd using zipp's conversion spacer and a sram red cassette
-i have heard some slight rattling beforehand but nothing as severe as what i heard yesterday during my morning ride.

-it seems that while im climbing on my small chainring and around the 3-6th gear i hear this crazy rattling noise that seems like it's coming from the rear hub.

-this noise also happens when i stand up and sprint hard.

-anyone have any ideas as to what this might be? i'll see if i can post a video of the noise

stien
06-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Seems like the last thing you changed should be the first suspected. Shifting correctly tuned? 10s cassette and/or chain worn? I recall complaints about the first Red cassettes being loud.

nooneline
06-20-2016, 11:55 AM
my first guess is that the cassette isn't tight.

ivanooze
06-20-2016, 11:56 AM
well i've used my red cassette on my powertap hub before the zipps and never heard a rattle like the one i've had on the zipp hub.

ivanooze
06-20-2016, 11:58 AM
my first guess is that the cassette isn't tight.

just checked it now, it's on there pretty good, but i'll take it off and reinstall

pitcrew
06-20-2016, 12:01 PM
just checked it now, it's on there pretty good, but i'll take it off and reinstall

Make sure the small cog is sitting on the freehub body correctly. It's relatively easy to have it rotated slightly and not have sitting properly. Your lockring would be snug, but the cassette wouldn't be pressed up against the 10 speed spacer enough, and that could be causing the rattling.

ivanooze
06-20-2016, 11:40 PM
Make sure the small cog is sitting on the freehub body correctly. It's relatively easy to have it rotated slightly and not have sitting properly. Your lockring would be snug, but the cassette wouldn't be pressed up against the 10 speed spacer enough, and that could be causing the rattling.

i took off the cassette and put it back in. i cleaned/lubed the chain.
-yet still it's making this nasty rattling noise. the only other thing i can think of is the 10 sp. spacer that's set up in there is what's making that noise.

has anyone else had an issue like this before?

Black Dog
06-21-2016, 05:49 AM
-yet still it's making this nasty rattling noise. the only other thing i can think of is the 10 sp. spacer that's set up in there is what's making that noise.

Everything on the cassette should be tight, including the spacer.

oldpotatoe
06-21-2016, 05:58 AM

If the cogset and spacers are tight, you can't move them around at all with your hand....may be the FH body. Spin the axle in your hand, how does it feel? Is the FH body tight on the hub?

sitzmark
06-21-2016, 07:17 AM
A fairly common rattle on 404s is the valve stem against the carbon. Usually heard on rough sections of road. Would be unusual for it to be tied to choice of gear or out-of-saddle sprinting but always possible for that to trigger a harmonic resonance I guess. Easiest fix is to push a short section of electrical tape down over stem and secure it to the carbon around the stem. Alternate is to remove the valve stem and put a layer of tape around the stem.

Next thing is to confirm the hub/freehub is Zipp OEM 11sp. Not talking about an aftermarket 182/188 "machined" conversion, correct? A Zipp freehub, Zipp spacer, Red cassette should not result in a loose spacer if installed and torqued to spec. A possible exception could be a FH body "bite" that is preventing the cassette from fully seating against the spacer. If the spacer is loose you should be able to hear it if you shake/bounce the wheel when it's off the bike.

You mentioned maybe hearing a faint rattle when used with your powertap wheel. Could be a small fragment inside the cassette cone that is magnified by the carbon "echo chamber". Not likely tho, since centripetal force should hold the fragment against the cone wall with any significant rpm.

Good luck - rattles are annoying.

ivanooze
06-22-2016, 12:39 AM
A fairly common rattle on 404s is the valve stem against the carbon. Usually heard on rough sections of road. Would be unusual for it to be tied to choice of gear or out-of-saddle sprinting but always possible for that to trigger a harmonic resonance I guess. Easiest fix is to push a short section of electrical tape down over stem and secure it to the carbon around the stem. Alternate is to remove the valve stem and put a layer of tape around the stem.

Next thing is to confirm the hub/freehub is Zipp OEM 11sp. Not talking about an aftermarket 182/188 "machined" conversion, correct? A Zipp freehub, Zipp spacer, Red cassette should not result in a loose spacer if installed and torqued to spec. A possible exception could be a FH body "bite" that is preventing the cassette from fully seating against the spacer. If the spacer is loose you should be able to hear it if you shake/bounce the wheel when it's off the bike.

You mentioned maybe hearing a faint rattle when used with your powertap wheel. Could be a small fragment inside the cassette cone that is magnified by the carbon "echo chamber". Not likely tho, since centripetal force should hold the fragment against the cone wall with any significant rpm.

Good luck - rattles are annoying.

holy crap that was allot of info ha. well i know for sure it's not the valve. i have to check which hub it is. i just got these wheels a few months ago straight from zipp.
-when i climb in a certain gear i hear the rattle, and that's without moving the bike from side to side

breakingaway89
06-22-2016, 12:45 AM
I am having the same problem .. lets see if we can get a solution for it.

Black Dog
06-22-2016, 06:28 AM
Has anyone called Zipp?

El Chaba
06-22-2016, 06:40 AM
I wouldn't rule out some mechanical problem with the hub. Zipp hubs are pretty problematic.

sitzmark
06-22-2016, 09:13 AM
holy crap that was allot of info ha. well i know for sure it's not the valve. i have to check which hub it is. i just got these wheels a few months ago straight from zipp.
-when i climb in a certain gear i hear the rattle, and that's without moving the bike from side to side

If direct from zipp in the past few months it would probably be 88 v9 series or newer. New would be the 77 series or the cognition hubs. Cognition has the magnetic clutch plates.

Other than the snap ring on the pre-V.9 88 series there's really nothing to rattle in/on a zipp hub unless something foreign was introduced during assembly. I suppose you could have a pawl break, but given the tight quarters it would more likely jam the free hub and not rattle around. Zipp 88 and pre-88 series hubs are about as minimalist as it gets.

No idea about 77 series because I haven't disassembled one. In theory there could be some contact between the cognition clutch plates during freewheeling if the magnets are weak, no lube, etc, but under load seems really unlikely.

ivanooze
07-06-2016, 09:28 PM
finally figured out where the rattling was coming from.
-all i had to do was put some grease on the freehub body.... problem solved