PDA

View Full Version : campy record 10spd ergos: BB-system vs Ultra differences?

wallymann
06-20-2016, 08:45 AM
aside from the name, what's *really* different between these 2 mechs?

naming diffs aside, i think for record level bits they both use ball-bearing pivots.

i've heard that Ultra has a lighter spring tension and less crisp ratcheting feel.

i've also heard that the only difference is the g-spring carrier went from alloy to plastic and some sort of friction-reducing coating was added somewhere in the mech.

what are the real differences in terms of shifting action *and* parts?

ultraman6970
06-20-2016, 08:55 AM
From what I know are the same with the difference being that the left shifter has a tiny mod so the travel is shorter, that translate a quicker shift at the FD, and that the BB system clicks move than the newer ultra version.

I have them both and I can tell you parts looks the same but the click in the BB version is tad harder, but I did replaced the carrier from carbon to the aluminum tho, and the ultra what I did was to grab the carbon carrier of the BB because the ultra needed to be rebuilt, so not sure if thats why one clicks more than the other one. As for the FD, well I barely use the FD, so cant tell certainly if it shift quicker because I do no care :D

thwart
06-20-2016, 08:56 AM
Paging 'OldSpud'... or maybe oliver1850...

FWIW I've found no significant difference in shifting feel between ~ 2000 'BB' Record ergos and later 'Ultra'.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2016, 09:27 AM
The ultra has a nylon/carbon spring carrier and a washer or two are coated. Springs are the same. (Pretty sure at least, going off memory)

The record "red" ergos went back to the alloy spring carrier and heavier springs.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Paging 'OldSpud'... or maybe oliver1850...

FWIW I've found no significant difference in shifting feel between ~ 2000 'BB' Record ergos and later 'Ultra'.

'Ultra' added a fiber spring carrier(a little softer but doesn't break as often) and a drillium shift disc with a slick coating on it. If lubed, the BB or brass bushing feels the same. The fiber spring carrier 'feels' a little softer, so much so that when Campag did their 'Red' shifters, beefier shift Springs, they recommended the metal spring carrier for max, 'click'.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Ah yes, I forgot about the drilled index gear.

Mark McM
06-20-2016, 10:56 AM
'Ultra' added a fiber spring carrier(a little softer but doesn't break as often) and a drillium shift disc with a slick coating on it. If lubed, the BB or brass bushing feels the same. The fiber spring carrier 'feels' a little softer, so much so that when Campag did their 'Red' shifters, beefier shift Springs, they recommended the metal spring carrier for max, 'click'.

Just curious ...

Since the fiber spring carrier and softer and flexes more, does it affect the life of the springs? On one hand, the softer carrier might reduce the stresses on the springs; but on the other hand, maybe the flex of the carrier reduces the amount of spring wear tolerable before the springs no longer hold properly?

FlashUNC
06-20-2016, 11:04 AM
The carrier breaks before the springs wear out, at least in my experience. But once you're in there, just easier to replace everything.

thirdgenbird
06-20-2016, 11:06 AM
The carrier breaks before the springs wear out, at least in my experience. But once you're in there, just easier to replace everything.

My experience matches this.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Seen a lot of busted springs with intact carriers and vice versa and both. I replace all broken metal carriers with fiber ones.,