PDA

View Full Version : Ot us open

Birddog
06-20-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm not a golfer and not much of a fan but I do tend to watch the last day of a "Major". Am I just too far removed or was that the ugliest course of all time with man made ridiculously tough conditions? How about all the noise pollution from the Penn Turnpike? Was the Fox coverage just pathetic? Maybe I'm just too far out of touch.

bikinchris
06-20-2016, 08:17 AM
They took out all of the trees to make it harder. The ugliest thing about that particular tournament is the rules committee. You don't assess a penalty 7 holes later. Bad.

Cat3roadracer
06-20-2016, 08:34 AM
Always nice when Dustin Johnston wins.

MattTuck
06-20-2016, 08:41 AM
I heard them use the term, "more likely than not", and I just rolled my eyes... as a patriots fan.

Agreed about course ugliness. Are there not better courses in this country? Nothing like an 18 wheeler driving by at 70mph to enhance the relaxation and beauty of a round of golf. :rolleyes:

Every time they went to the view from the MetLife blimp, I was just like, "Why?"

bikinchris
06-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Apparently, the railroad was there first when they bought the course and the highway used the same right of way 40 years later. There are lots of prettier courses, but according to the players, none harder.

Birddog
06-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Agreed about course ugliness. Are there not better courses in this country? Nothing like an 18 wheeler driving by at 70mph to enhance the relaxation and beauty of a round of golf. :rolleyes:

Every time they went to the view from the MetLife blimp, I was just like, "Why?"

It wasn't exactly bucolic.

bking
06-20-2016, 09:45 AM
re fox, yeah, give me Johnnie Miller, please.
Nice to see the guy pull it off after his collapse on 18 last year.

gdw
06-20-2016, 09:56 AM
The spectators were pretty boisterous Sunday. The beer concessions must have had a good day.

jghall
06-20-2016, 10:00 AM
Nothing like an 18 wheeler driving by at 70mph to enhance the relaxation and beauty of a round of golf.

Imagine no harder than hitting a clutch shot with Dustin's wife being in eyes view. ;)

unterhausen
06-20-2016, 10:24 AM
it was ridiculous to assess a penalty later, and probably ridiculous to assess a penalty at all. I do think that he made the ball move though, for what it's worth. He pushes down right behind the ball and it moves, sure seems to be related to me. Unless there was a huge gust of wind.

I don't follow golf at all, this story popped up on my FB feed because I follow the local paper. They really love click-bait stories, and I'm weak minded enough to click sometimes.

Ken Robb
06-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Imagine no harder than hitting a clutch shot with Dustin's wife being in eyes view. ;)

She's his "partner". I was amused how she kept trying to pull or hold her very short skirt down while on camera. :beer:

BobO
06-20-2016, 12:29 PM

She is Paulina Gretzky, Wayne's daughter.

Seramount
06-20-2016, 01:33 PM
haven't watched an NBA or USGA event in years...

tuned into both yesterday (was a really bad day for tv programming, which is saying something)...

course was fugly, rules guys were being jerks, crowd was yelling a lot of loud crap, but the orange ball tracker thingie was sorta cool...

as a retired hoopster, I really miss playing some roundball.

but as a retired hacker, don't miss proving how badly I suck at the game of golf.

rwsaunders
06-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Some of the noise that you heard was the blimp that hovered all week but the Turnpike doesn't help. Oakmont has been around since the early 1900's and is an absolute bear to play, especially for an amateur. Look what it did to the pros this past week.

They removed most of the trees about ten years ago to take the course back to its Scottish "links" roots and the course became even more difficult. Talk to anybody that's played there or walked the course, it's very hilly and the absence of trees and water adds to the illusion.

All of the greens are original but one and there are 200 plus bunkers including the infamous Church Pews. For some reason, the USGA sees something special about the course and they keep coming back...2025 next. There's never a shortage of tee times either as people come from all over the world to play a round.

Len J
06-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I was there on Friday, it is a beautiful golf course, but it's also one of the toughest in golf. It's the only course that the USGA widens the fairways and slows down the greens for the Open. I've also played it, it really penalizes a bad shot. For a US Open, it always reveals the best player that week. You can't get lucky and win. Oakmont is one of the greatest venues used for the US Open... it's been there 9 times and will be back in 2025. Players really appreciate that golf course....it's difficult, but it's honest.

The USGA will never let that mess with Johnson and the penalty ever happen again. A Pedantic rule Nazi decided that Johnson was guilty based on a slow motion replay and a footnote to the rules. It was absurd. Then it was compounded by a.) waiting 1 1/2 hours or 6 full holes to alert him and the rest of the field; b.) not telling him that their decision was final, so no one knew what the real leader-board looked like& c.) basically calling him a liar. The USGA Board had to be grateful that that penalty didn't decide the tournament.

tv_vt
06-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Funny, when I see 'US Open," I think of Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Serena and gang. Takes me a while to realize the topic is the 'other one.'

jlwdm
06-21-2016, 12:34 AM
it was ridiculous to assess a penalty later, and probably ridiculous to assess a penalty at all. I do think that he made the ball move though, for what it's worth. He pushes down right behind the ball and it moves, sure seems to be related to me. Unless there was a huge gust of wind.

I don't follow golf at all, this story popped up on my FB feed because I follow the local paper. They really love click-bait stories, and I'm weak minded enough to click sometimes.

He did not ground his putter behind the ball.

Jeff

jlwdm
06-21-2016, 12:49 AM
re fox, yeah, give me Johnnie Miller, please.
Nice to see the guy pull it off after his collapse on 18 last year.

Fox was terrible for the second year in a row. That is what happens when you sell out for money.

I think all of the collapse talk was way overdone. He 3 putted on a green that was described as like broccoli. And he is not a great putter.

Last year Grace knocked it out of bounds on 16 for a double bogey while tied for the lead with Speith. This gave Speith a three stroke lead on the 17th tee. He then hit it dead right and took a double.

The rough is nasty and the greens are treacherous but true.

Jeff