PDA

View Full Version : Compass Cycles Teasing with 700x44mm

jambee
06-20-2016, 04:53 AM
Finally.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGyNaFoSTHY/?taken-by=compasscycle

I know that Jan is here, so do spill the beans. When will you be ready to take my money?

Cicli
06-20-2016, 04:55 AM
May have to try those.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2016, 06:25 AM
Finally.

I know that Jan is here, so do spill the beans. When will you be ready to take my money?

For 'road' riding, there has to be a point of diminishing returns, isn't there? Bigger, bigger cant always be better, better, in terms of best combination of comfort and suppleness but also quickness, crispness, a 'bright' ride feel vs sluggishness.

If for road only and same tire construction and say frame/fork can fit anything, where is that 'sweet spot' in terms of tire width(assuming all 700c since the mentioned '44' is 700c)...road riding, not mixed.

Curious. I have tried up to 32 and they felt sluggish compared to a 25 or 28.

weisan
06-20-2016, 06:35 AM
where is that 'sweet spot'

Right. I agree with you Old pal. For me, the sweet spot was 25 for the front, and 26-27 mm for the back. But I can see this application for my gravel or adventure bike that already have Bruce Gordon Rock and Road 43 mm tires on.

sparky33
06-20-2016, 06:44 AM
It isn't for everybody but it is for some. The some have been asking for this tire for a while.

At 40something width, I prefer the handling of 650b. Though I will likely pick up a set of 700x44 for my cross bike because FUN.

sparky33
06-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Jan,

Any thoughts on when?

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2016, 07:30 AM
For 'road' riding, there has to be a point of diminishing returns, isn't there? Bigger, bigger cant always be better, better, in terms of best combination of comfort and suppleness but also quickness, crispness, a 'bright' ride feel vs sluggishness.

If for road only and same tire construction and say frame/fork can fit anything, where is that 'sweet spot' in terms of tire width(assuming all 700c since the mentioned '44' is 700c)...road riding, not mixed.

Curious. I have tried up to 32 and they felt sluggish compared to a 25 or 28.

It's not just for "road" riding. That's kinda the point. That said, I don't know that the sweet spot for the pot holed streets I ride isn't 38mm or bigger. Bombing my streets on Switchback Hills sure is a good time.

saab2000
06-20-2016, 09:37 AM
I wonder about this size as well, but I'm curious enough that I'm probably getting some big fatties for my Indy Fab. Right now, on the road, I run 700x25 on some Pacenti SL25 rims and they spread out to about 28mm. I run them at about 75 PSI and they're nice. But there are stretches of pavement where I think having lower pressure and bigger tires might make some sense, in fact a lot of sense.

I'm probably going to get some 650b wheels built up with a dynamo hub in front and I'm going to try some tires in the upper 30s to low 40s in terms of width.

I'm told by those with experience that 650b is the right size if fat tires are the tires of choice. We'll see.

sandyrs
06-20-2016, 09:40 AM
I'm told by those with experience that 650b is the right size if fat tires are the tires of choice. We'll see.

I think some of this just has to do with bikes not being built around this tire size. When you have a 45mm 700c tire, you're effectively increasing the height of the bottom bracket by up to a couple cm's depending on tire shape compared to a 25mm 700c tire, yet many bikes that can fit a 45mm road tire will have a *higher* bb than a typical road bike, not lower. So the rider ends up very on top of the bike and it can feel tippy.

unterhausen
06-20-2016, 10:27 AM
I think this is a good size tire for around here. Potholes can be ridiculous, 25mm is a recipe for pinch flats.

stephenmarklay
06-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Right. I agree with you Old pal. For me, the sweet spot was 25 for the front, and 26-27 mm for the back. But I can see this application for my gravel or adventure bike that already have Bruce Gordon Rock and Road 43 mm tires on.

Intersting I would not have thought to use to different tires but it certainly makes sense. You could use a lower pressure rear or the same as the front anyway. It might change the handling biasing to understeer but I doubt a lot.

guido
06-20-2016, 11:12 AM
I guess clearance is probably tight for my 700c bike but I bet they would be amazing. I can't imagine riding anything smaller than 38...

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Pure speculation, but Rat Trap Pass are marked 26x2.3 yet most people say they measure between 47-52mm. My 650bx48 SBHs measure 51.5mm on Blunt SS rims. I'll bet this tire measures closer to 2" on wide rims. There are going to be some happy Fargo owners when these are released.

guido
06-20-2016, 12:49 PM
In dry conditions that may be the perfect tire for a Fargo or Cutthroat...

Jan Heine
06-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Finally.

Top secret, of course. What I can tell you is that from prototype to final tire takes about 3 months...

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
www.compasscycle.com (https://www.compasscycle.com)

Jan Heine
06-20-2016, 02:09 PM
That is why so many people go to 650Bx42 mm tires on their disc-braked Allroad bikes. You lower the BB a bit and get more tire clearance. You also reduce the rotational inertia of the wheels, so you get back the nimble handling we enjoy so much on our road bikes.

As to tippiness with a high BB, my center of gravity is about 3 feet (900 mm) off the ground. It's hard to see how lowering the BB by 1% could make a huge difference...

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.

I think some of this just has to do with bikes not being built around this tire size. When you have a 45mm 700c tire, you're effectively increasing the height of the bottom bracket by up to a couple cm's depending on tire shape compared to a 25mm 700c tire, yet many bikes that can fit a 45mm road tire will have a *higher* bb than a typical road bike, not lower. So the rider ends up very on top of the bike and it can feel tippy.

Waldo
06-20-2016, 02:12 PM
I love Compass 700x32s for road. I like pumping them to 75-80 and they are just perfect for me at that pressure. 700x38s at 70 are also good, but 650bx42 are too squishy for my taste at any pressure.

sparky33
06-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Pure speculation, but Rat Trap Pass are marked 26x2.3 yet most people say they measure between 47-52mm. My 650bx48 SBHs measure 51.5mm on Blunt SS rims. I'll bet this tire measures closer to 2" on wide rims. There are going to be some happy Fargo owners when these are released.

With the exception of RTPs that supposedly measure a bit narrower than their nominal size, my Compass tires usually measure 1-2mm wider than stated...Hoping for 700x44-45 in this case bc that's the clearance I have available.

650bx42 are too squishy for my taste at any pressure.
Try them on some light carbon wheels... they come alive.

bicycletricycle
06-20-2016, 02:30 PM
I have been riding my new bike with 650x42 tires the last month or so. Sometimes the squishiness is a little funny feeling. I run them at 40/45. I have been riding them on rides I normally ride 700x30s.

Not sure how much slower they are (no computer, GPS, etc) They feel a little slower but not so much that it is annoying.

I like a few things about them.

1. A few of the roads have narrow shoulders and drains on the side of the road, with the big tires I can just comfortably run right over those drains if traffic is coming. Same with some gnarly expansion joints on a couple local bridges.

2. reduced fatigue, the suspension from the big tires adds up to a smoother ride that really adds up after 80 or 100 miles.

3. dirt and unimproved roads are more fun to explore.

These huge 700x44s will be nice on a touring 29er/monster cross I use for traveling.

Thanks for producing these big beautiful tires Jan.

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2016, 02:32 PM
With the exception of RTPs that supposedly measure a bit narrower than their nominal size, my Compass tires usually measure 1-2mm wider than stated...Hoping for 700x44-45 in this case bc that's the clearance I have available.

Perhaps Jan can address the speculation that the RTP, SBH and new 700x44 are from the same mold/die, but different diameter.

ColonelJLloyd
06-20-2016, 02:34 PM

+1

I recently did some gravel bikepacking with a friend on a Fargo. My bike was wearing Switchback Hills. We both commented several times over the week that what his bike really wanted to be wearing was the 700c version of the SBH.

oldpotatoe
06-20-2016, 05:10 PM
That is why so many people go to 650Bx42 mm tires on their disc-braked Allroad bikes. You lower the BB a bit and get more tire clearance. You also reduce the rotational inertia of the wheels, so you get back the nimble handling we enjoy so much on our road bikes.

As to tippiness with a high BB, my center of gravity is about 3 feet (900 mm) off the ground. It's hard to see how lowering the BB by 1% could make a huge difference...

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.

Isn't the total diameter its 650b by 42 about the same as 700 by somewhat smaller tire, the 'rotational inertia' is pretty much lost in the noise. ERD differences only about 40mm, an inch and a half. About 30 grams of rim weight.
Plus the bigger 650b tire weighs more.

hollowgram5
06-20-2016, 05:25 PM

These huge 700x44s will be nice on a touring 29er/monster cross I use for traveling.

I'm thinking the same thing. These will go great in my Salsa Vaya Travel!

JAGI410
06-20-2016, 09:27 PM
I just put on the Compass 700x38 "Barlow Pass" tires, and am amazed by them. I have room for the new 44's, but the 38s feel great at 50psi front/60psi rear. The 44s will be intriguing for sure.

ryker
06-20-2016, 10:34 PM
Jan, will these new tires be tubeless compatible?

CMiller
06-21-2016, 01:09 AM

I am pretty sure all the new Compass tires are tubeless compatible!

Stephen2014
06-21-2016, 04:45 AM
I used to do my 30 mile ride on a bike with a Maxxis Hookworm on the rear, 26x2.5 (63.5mm), it was very good smooth riding. Had to get a tube of up to 3.0 though, the first tube of up to 2.5 blewout with the pressure, about 10 miles from home, but I was able to fix it with 6 patches.

Jan Heine
06-21-2016, 04:36 PM

Of course. All recently introduced Compass tires have been tubeless-compatible.

Making an existing tire tubeless-compatible requires entirely new molds, so it's not so easy to do for existing models, but for new ones, it's a given. The bead shape and diameter are subtly different, but the tubeless-compatible tires work just as well with tubes as they do when set up tubeless.

(The same cannot be said about rims, where tubeless-compatible rims make tire mounting a bit harder, even when used with tubes.)

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.

559Rando
06-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Of course. All recently introduced Compass tires have been tubeless-compatible.

Making an existing tire tubeless-compatible requires entirely new molds, so it's not so easy to do for existing models, but for new ones, it's a given.

Jan, I'm assuming your biggest seller is the Baby Shoe Pass (BSP) 42mm 650B tire for many reasons (it's the size that has been found to fast and smooth and still work with a lot of frames with low tread cranks, the Hetres sold so well, etc, etc.).

I know that people have successfully set up the BSP tubeless, but I'm hesitant because of the bead. Please blink twice if you'll be offering a tubeless 42mm 650B tire.

Thanks!

carlineng
06-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Patiently awaiting the newest round of gravelcross monsterventureduro tyres in 650Bx76mm aka 650B+ aka 27.5+

toosahn
07-30-2016, 03:12 PM
I am very excited for these tires after riding on set of 38c Barlow Pass for the last year.

I will go bigger until it doesn't feel right.

Dustin
07-31-2016, 07:27 PM
For those who think the bigger tires "feel" sluggish, it's definitely been enlightening for me to have years of strava times over the same segments. What I will say is that a tire that feels subjectively slow often isn't. It's just that more of the road feedback is muted. Going from 700x28 tires to 650Bx42 has been a revelation for me in that regard. Sometimes I beat my old times on "skinny" tires, and sometimes I don't. But I am always more comfortable on the 42s.

jtbadge
08-01-2016, 09:27 AM
This may be a solid Rock 'n' Road alternative for those leaning towards more pavement miles. Definitely on my radar.