PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Covers for Wet Weather Riding

Splash
06-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Hi Guys

Our winter is here and often i ride in the wet.

My sides get saturated, heavy and downright uncomfortable.

I need to get shoe covers for wet weather riding. More concerned with keeping water out rather than keeping my feet warm.

Your tips, suggestions and recommendations on the covers?

Are these any good:

http://www.pushys.com.au/pearl-izumi-pro-barrier-lite-shoe-covers-black-2016.html?utm_source=google_shopping&538=7&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv467BRCbkMvs5O3kioUBEiQAGDZHL2dJnZQY f_RZLiG-Ct7VzQZhRWnW4qJBRihnNFQCWHEaAjoq8P8HAQ

http://www.wiggle.com.au/dhb-extreme-weather-neoprene-overshoe/?lang=au&curr=AUD&dest=27&sku=5360483831&utm_source=google&utm_term=PLA&utm_campaign=AU+-+PLA+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsoXIHyh7f_dc%7Cpcrid%7C7161204 6972%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C5360483831au&dest=27&curr=AUD

Splash

ajhapps
06-18-2016, 01:23 AM
I just bought the POC AVIP Rain Booties http://www.competitivecyclist.com/poc-avip-rain-bootie?s=a

They're ok - wore them twice in the rain, each a 65-mile ride with Northern California mist, rain, and fog. Kept my feet dry and wasn't overheating at all. That being said, one bootie developed a tiny hole over the buckle of my shoe, which makes me question the durability. Got a replacement pair, so will see what happens.

I'd posted a similar question a few weeks ago, and someone mentioned these guys. I would have given them a try if I had more time to place the order w/o paying for two-day:

https://www.velotoze.com/

BdaGhisallo
06-18-2016, 04:36 AM
Try Velotoze. They are simple rubber shoe covers. They won't keep your feet warm and they won't last forever, but they are cheap. And they do a better job keeping water out than any other shoe cover I've ever tried.

45K10
06-18-2016, 06:10 AM
I bought a pair of Endura neoprene covers a few years back when I lived in Vancouver. They are great and have held up very well. If it is really wet I slip my foot in a plastic bag before I put my shoes on. This teamed up with the neoprene cover works to keep my feet dry for long wet rides.

owly
06-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Pretty happy with the latest Mavic Cosmic H20.
What I like about them, is they are closed at the ball of the foot.
Really strong zippers and waterproof seams. Robust construction.

Bikebug has them.

With two pairs of thin cashmere socks I'm nice and toasty, without sweating like a pig:)

peanutgallery
06-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Forget all this detached online BS

Go to your local LBS and get what you need for where you reside

EDS
06-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Velotoze

Neil
06-18-2016, 07:12 PM
Try Velotoze. They are simple rubber shoe covers. They won't keep your feet warm and they won't last forever, but they are cheap. And they do a better job keeping water out than any other shoe cover I've ever tried.

I second this - however they are annoying, I literally cut mine off on the day I decided Spring had sprung and enjoyed throwing them in the bin.

BdaGhisallo
06-19-2016, 04:44 AM
I second this - however they are annoying, I literally cut mine off on the day I decided Spring had sprung and enjoyed throwing them in the bin.

Oh yeah, they can be aggravating at times, but they are still my go-to if I need to keep my feet dry.

carpediemracing
06-19-2016, 06:59 AM
Hi Guys

Our winter is here and often i ride in the wet.

My sides get saturated, heavy and downright uncomfortable.

I need to get shoe covers for wet weather riding. More concerned with keeping water out rather than keeping my feet warm.

Your tips, suggestions and recommendations on the covers?

Are these any good:

http://www.pushys.com.au/pearl-izumi-pro-barrier-lite-shoe-covers-black-2016.html?utm_source=google_shopping&538=7&gclid=Cj0KEQjwv467BRCbkMvs5O3kioUBEiQAGDZHL2dJnZQY f_RZLiG-Ct7VzQZhRWnW4qJBRihnNFQCWHEaAjoq8P8HAQ

http://www.wiggle.com.au/dhb-extreme-weather-neoprene-overshoe/?lang=au&curr=AUD&dest=27&sku=5360483831&utm_source=google&utm_term=PLA&utm_campaign=AU+-+PLA+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsoXIHyh7f_dc%7Cpcrid%7C7161204 6972%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C5360483831au&dest=27&curr=AUD

Splash

This is what I do in cold, wet rain (and in some situations it's deteriorated into sleet and even light snow) - plastic bags. I put my socks and shoes on as normal, put a super thin plastic bag over my shoe, tape the top to my ankle/shin with some kind of tape ("duct tape" usually), then put a shoe cover over. If it's cold then a regular bootie, if it's not super cold then just a non-insulating one. Usually if it's not that cold I don't care about the plastic.

I clip in through the plastic (Look Keo cleats). No issues with retention. I typically only do this at races so I'm riding about as hard as I ever do ride.

I'm good for about an hour, maybe 90 minutes. My feet feel toasty warm. It's downright hot if it's not cold.

After about an hour there's inevitably some leakage.

My feet do get moist from sweat/etc but for me that's not an issue. The good thing is that you get full coverage underneath. A lot of nicer shoes have vents in the sole, a lot of booties have cut outs in the sole, and you end up with ice cold air entering the bottom of your shoe. With the plastic bag the vents down low are sealed up.

After the ride/race I put all my wet gear in that plastic bag.

Cannondale sold a breathable(?) waterproof sock that did the same thing. I didn't understand when I first got it that it went over the shoe, not inside it. But I paid for it so I left it in my gear bag. When I finally realized how I was supposed to use it they'd discontinued it. Ironically I basically never use them because it's "precious" since I can't replace the set.

unterhausen
06-19-2016, 08:55 AM
if it's cold at all, I wear my 45nrth Fasterkatts (now replaced with the Japanther). Feet have never gotten wet, including the time I immersed them up over my ankles. I have ridden them on some really long rides, most recently a 360 km fleche brevet.

I have some Endura neoprene shoe covers, I find them really annoying to get on and off.

carpediemracing
06-19-2016, 03:15 PM
if it's cold at all, I wear my 45nrth Fasterkatts (now replaced with the Japanther). Feet have never gotten wet, including the time I immersed them up over my ankles. I have ridden them on some really long rides, most recently a 360 km fleche brevet.

I have some Endura neoprene shoe covers, I find them really annoying to get on and off.

Hilarious. That was one of my brothers' (the two of them) favorite bands back in the day.

sf_rinaldi
07-15-2016, 09:35 PM
I rode 65 miles in early May in the pouring rain in the canadian rockies. I used neoprene shoe covers/booties from PRO (Shimano brand). My tips that work well are:

- wear wool socks so those stay warm regardless if it gets wet
- do not expose any of the sock above the shoe cover
- tuck the socks inside/below the top of the bootie/shoe cover so that they don't wick moisture down to your feet

some of my friends wore safeway bags over their socks inside their shoe. But I found that my feet needed to breathe.

Good luck!

xjoex
07-15-2016, 09:43 PM
I highly recommend Showers Pass Club Shoe Covers. In fact, I would grab that old pair of shoes you have and use the cleat to sandwich the shoe and shoecover.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Jz4f840sc_c/Ss9VAYTG3kI/AAAAAAAACKE/O1EtqFRAF3A/s600/IMGP0999.JPG

Or buy a pair of goretex winter shoes shoes and ride in those.

-Joe

wasfast
07-16-2016, 07:28 AM
+1 on the thin plastic produce bags from the grocery store. Free and work better than any other solution I've tried. Wool sock/roadshoe/produce bag/your bootie of choice on the outside. The biggest problem with the majority of booties is leaking around the top.. The main material is generally not the issue.

This from a year round rider in wet western Oregon.

jwess1234
07-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Avoid Velotoze. Cut and created holes the first time I wore them on the toe From un clipping at stop signs/lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velofinds
04-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Bumping this thread. Does anyone else make a zipperless water-resistant cover a la Velotoze? Doesn't need to offer insulation or breathability- Velotoze doesn't either, but my size appears to be out of stock everywhere.

berserk87
04-20-2017, 05:52 AM
I don't know on other non-Velotoze options. I have a pair of Velotoze that I bought to use for wet weather and as aero covers for time trials.

I have started to put them on twice, prior to wet weather rides, and became so frustrated that I quit and wore another not-so-waterproof cover. They seem to be a royal pain to put on. There are tips on the packaging for easier installation, but it's not helping me.

velofinds
04-20-2017, 09:23 AM
So, then, people are following these instructions and still having a hard time getting them on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfwLAKsUBaw

mktng
04-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Velotoze are cool. But really not designed to last.

Get a pair of rain shoes.

I tried a pair out . Picked up Louis Garneau rain shoes. They blew them out for $40 boxing day.

Best investment ever. Never overheat. Never wet from rain. It made commuting/general riding in wet conditions 100x more enjoyable.

With Velotoze. You need to maintain them with baby power. They are rip easily.
With regular covers. They are never fitting properly I find. Also water seeps in under in between the shoe and cover

Proper rain shoes > shoe covers.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

JimmyTango
04-20-2017, 11:38 AM
I really like velotoze.

Sure, they're not easy to put on, but its not THAT bad.

Be sure to get the tall ones and use with shorter socks as that is the only to ensure a good "seal" against water leaking down from your legs into your shoes.

I used to be a swimmer, and Velotoze are just boot shaped swim-caps... fragile but easy enough to take care of for a few months-
1) be careful to not create any extreme pressure points when stretching them on and off of your shoes (as in: do your best to keep stretching pressure as even as possible and not pinch or cut a tear),
2) keep away from rough edges (as in don't kick **** or rub them on rough surfaces like the road),
and most importantly 3) be careful to make sure that they dry quickly and completely and try to minimize the amount that they dry while one part of the rubber contacts the other (as in don't let them lay flat to dry or the rubber will stick to itself-- instead try to hang them over a nob of some sort so that they can air out).

berserk87
04-20-2017, 12:36 PM
I'll give it another try. Mine are super sticky and this is what is creating some of my aggravation. I also ride Sidis with a heel retention system at the back of the shoe. This provides a bit of a hump for the cover to go over, which is not fun. Part of my problem was just impatience, granted.

EDS
04-20-2017, 12:49 PM
I'll give it another try. Mine are super sticky and this is what is creating some of my aggravation. I also ride Sidis with a heel retention system at the back of the shoe. This provides a bit of a hump for the cover to go over, which is not fun. Part of my problem was just impatience, granted.

You are putting the velotozes on before you put your shoes on, correct?

I find the hardest part of putting them on is getting them on my foot/ankle, but once that is sorted it is easy to pull them down over my shoes (heel first then toes).