PDA

View Full Version : OT: cover bands / tribute bands - just saw "the beatles" live

pdmtong
06-17-2016, 02:37 PM
a few days ago I went to the opener of the summer concert in the park series and listened to a Beatles cover band concert in it's entirety.

http://www.thesunkings.com/The_Sun_Kings/index.html.html

At first I though this sucks. Then I though wow, they really nailed it. For many songs, it seemed like the tempo was just a shade too slow, BUT then I got to thinking that doing a Beatles cover band has to be the most musically uphill challenge given how ingrained many of the songs are. Like when i saw Roger Waters do DSotM - the expectations are just too great.

Around here there are cover bands for the stones, van halen, journey, santana, doobie brothers and more then touring bands like AC/D-she (all female), Dred Zeppelin (reggae) and of course the angst with Train doing the full Led Zeppelin II. Those guys played it a few days ago in SF.

I noticed most people were just on blankets drinking beverages from a red solo cup and yapping. I'm the only weirdo listening for the nuances buried deep in the songs. The instrumental replication was outstanding and the vocals were pretty good too. Had a fun time once I got my mind around it while eating kettle corn and drinking a cold one.The guy in the neon green bike jersey dancing up and down was somewhat distracting though.

Taxman
Drive my car
Please please me
Kansas City
Ticket to ride
It's getting better
Dr Robert
You won't see me
Nowhere man
We can work it out
Yellow submarine
She said she said
Here there and everywhere
I feel fine
I want to tell you
The word
Paperback writer
Day tripper
Got to get you into my life
Rain
Sgt. Peppers lonely hearts club band
With a little help from my friends
Lucy in the sky with diamonds
Back in the USSR
Hey Bulldog
Here comes the sun
Apple Rooftop:
one after 909
get back
Encore:
hello goodbye
all you need is love

drewellison
06-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Last year I saw The Australian Pink Floyd Show in Seattle. They were great. Even my wife enjoyed the concert.
www.aussiefloyd.com

pjm
06-17-2016, 04:07 PM
The Musical Box for Genesis fans.

Waldo
06-17-2016, 04:12 PM
The Purple Ones is an awesome Prince tribute band based in the East Bay.

Ronsonic
06-17-2016, 09:50 PM
As far as I can tell every city in the U.S. has an "Uncle John's Band" doing Dead covers.

I refretted a guitar for the frontman of Crossroads a Clapton tribute show.

I've thought from time to time of playing for money again and figured the easiest way would be to start a band called Trepanation in tribute to One of Britain's Loudest Bands Spinal Tap.

beeatnik
06-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Atomic Punks were pretty good.