PDA

View Full Version : Russia track & field gets the big nyet on summer olympics

54ny77
06-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Wow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/18/sports/olympics/russia-barred-rio-summer-olympics-doping.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Hilltopperny
06-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Crazy considering other athletes from large countries do the same thing. If the athletes haven't been caught doping then it seems very harsh...

eBAUMANN
06-17-2016, 11:06 AM
im shocked, SHOCKED i tell you!
:rolleyes:

echelon_john
06-17-2016, 11:06 AM
Start with the biggest, most egregious offenders and work down from there.

rwsaunders
06-17-2016, 11:37 AM
After Russia, it looks like Turkey and France make the podium, in terms of ADRV's (anti doping rule violations)...see the last few pages of the report.

https://wada-main-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wada-2013-adrv-report-en.pdf

Sierra
06-17-2016, 11:38 AM
All politics is global.

54ny77
06-17-2016, 11:39 AM
invite 'em all back and call rio the 2016 doping olympiad.

anythin goes.

ultraman6970
06-17-2016, 11:43 AM
The good news for the russians is that there's a 100 chance that they wont get Zika or Typhoid this summer.

54ny77
06-17-2016, 11:57 AM
True. They'll just have massive health problems later in life. :bike:

The good news for the russians is that there's a 100 chance that they wont get Zika or Typhoid this summer.

Cicli
06-17-2016, 12:02 PM
True. They'll just have massive health problems later in life. :bike:

No kidding. Ladies with mustaches and packages.

Rada
06-17-2016, 12:02 PM
The IOC still has to make a final determination. I have heard they might overrule the IAAF.

CampyorBust
06-17-2016, 12:03 PM
More anti-Russian and Russophobic hysteria if you ask me, at this point the west is so desperate to demonize Russia or anything Russian it is pathetic. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see through it going back to when they started ratcheting up the hysteria prior to Sochi. It is very sad and scary, as we can see the some lemmings just it this $#!t up. Again I am not surprised.:mad: I know there are some raging Russophobes and pro establishment shills among us here but I would like to remind you there are Russian members of this forum who might take offense, so a little respect, restraint and impartiality would be much appreciated, mmmkay thanks!:no:

cloudguy
06-17-2016, 01:29 PM
It is very sad and scary, as we can see the some lemmings just it this $#!t up.

Whatever commie.

berserk87
06-17-2016, 01:43 PM
I may have a shot to medal at these olympic games! With Russia out and so many athletes bagging due to the Zika threat, I am a shoo-in for a medal in something.

Gotta update my passport and snag a couple of cans of "OFF", and I am Rio bound, baby!

bikingshearer
06-17-2016, 01:48 PM
Crazy considering other athletes from large countries do the same thing. If the athletes haven't been caught doping then it seems very harsh...

There is a big difference between one or more athletes doping (which is bad enough) or athletes conspiring to dope and cover it up (even worse) and a government being part of the conspiracy (an order of magnitude worse IMHO). Yes, government-sponsored cheating is not new (the former East Germany leaps to mind, but there were plenty of other culprit government nations behind the Iron Curtain), but that is hardly an excuse to give the Russians a pass.

It isn't over yet, though. After all, the IOC still has a chance to wimp out, and it is hardly a paragon of straight-arrow incorruptibility.

William
06-17-2016, 01:54 PM
I don't care what side of the curtain you are on...keep it civil.

William

ColonelJLloyd
06-17-2016, 02:00 PM
More anti-Russian and Russophobic hysteria if you ask me. . . .

Bringing violators to task for systematic state-sponsored infractions equates to a hysterical fear of them? Uh, no.

benb
06-17-2016, 02:07 PM
I have several russian co-workers and it seems like they unanimously would agree with the ban, they never stop talking about corruption and similar issues. Then again they have already left Russia...

RonW87
06-17-2016, 02:32 PM
From today's NYT:

"A track and field athlete tried to smuggle in a clean urine sample for drug testing, concealing a container inside her body and offering a bribe when her scheme failed. Sports officials refused to provide a list of the athletes who were present at a boxing training camp, revealing the names after stalling for a full hour. Armed federal police officers threatened drug testers who showed up to collect athletes’ urine, and packages containing doping samples sent from abroad were tampered with by customs workers.

All of this happened in Russia, the World Anti-Doping Agency said Wednesday, and it happened recently — in the seven months since the country was accused of government-sponsored doping. The boxing episode took place only last week."

Black Dog
06-17-2016, 03:25 PM
More anti-Russian and Russophobic hysteria if you ask me, at this point the west is so desperate to demonize Russia or anything Russian it is pathetic. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see through it going back to when they started ratcheting up the hysteria prior to Sochi. It is very sad and scary, as we can see the some lemmings just it this $#!t up. Again I am not surprised.:mad: I know there are some raging Russophobes and pro establishment shills among us here but I would like to remind you there are Russian members of this forum who might take offense, so a little respect, restraint and impartiality would be much appreciated, mmmkay thanks!:no:

:rolleyes:

Must be at 49% if one does not agree with your hypothesis then?

CampyorBust
06-17-2016, 06:25 PM
Whatever commie.
:eek:Thank you for proving my point. :crap:

Bringing violators to task for systematic state-sponsored infractions equates to a hysterical fear of them? Uh, no.

Absolutely cheaters should be held accountable, ALL cheaters. The anti-Russian media spin is dangerous and much worse than it ever was during the cold war. Does no one find it suspicious that Russia can’t catch a break at all? I will be the first to say that Russia is not perfect, far from it but one fabricated and exaggerated scandal after another? How delusional do you have to be not to realize that you are being subjected to the most virulent and coordinated propaganda campaigns of all time. Actually there is an explanation its called fear and it is very effective on the simple minded.

IMO NYT is one of the worst offenders in the information war. Whenever I need to purge I take a look at that tripe, projectile vomit soon follows.

Then again they have already left Russia...
Passive aggressive dismissive nonsense, not interested.

Must be at 49% if one does not agree with your hypothesis then?

That 1% is not that hard to acquire, I hope that someday we will agree.

Oh and for the record I am on firmly on this side of the curtain. Though I do not suffer fascism lightly.

I digress I am leading this discussion in the wrong direction, the political side of this discussion belongs on another thread moreover on a different forum all together.

cloudguy
06-17-2016, 08:11 PM
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/one-in-three-russians-think-stalin-was-a-wise-leader--poll/555641.html

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/poll-shows-russian-attitudes-to-gay-people-are-worse-than-decade-ago/525429.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/18/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-might-kill-journalists/

peanutgallery
06-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Usa, usa

arcadian
06-17-2016, 08:59 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LRfHlBk4Pcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cloudguy
06-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Usa, usa

Red Dawn, Wolverines!

adub
06-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Low hanging fruit.

cachagua
06-18-2016, 01:12 AM
Low hanging fruit.

Hey man, that's not nice. I got called that in high school, you know.

beeatnik
06-18-2016, 01:17 AM
I guess I've gotten old enough where I'm starting to get nostalgic for the Iron Curtain days.

Sierra
06-18-2016, 08:43 AM
I guess I've gotten old enough where I'm starting to get nostalgic for the Iron Curtain days.

Yes, I too, pine for the relative rationality of a Krushchev pounding his shoe at the United Nations General Assembly in 1960. Those were the days. The adults were clearly in charge.

And, I'm not joking. Especially when one considers our own, upcoming electoral prospects in this country. Cheers! :)

ajhapps
06-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Cheaters in sports should be dealt with harshly, particularly when it is state-sponsored cheating. I'm glad to see strong measures taken against the Russian T&F squad, and honestly can't see how this is in any way "anti-Russian" in nature. There is ample evidence to show that not only were the athletes taking performance-enhancing drugs, but were enabled by their athletic associations and law enforcement agencies.

A friend of mine was an Olympian and won a silver in 2004. Nine years later, the gold medalist's urine was tested and he was found to have used PEDs. My friend was later awarded the gold, but he always talks about how the most disappointing thing for him was the experience being stolen from him. Standing on the podium, hearing the national anthem, all of the accolades that come with a gold medal... he got none of that.

When you decide to cheat, you're screwing over everyone else, not just winning for yourself. These Russian athletes were, by most accounts, part of a system of state-sponsored cheating. I can't see any way that is defensible, and hope that the governing bodies of the sport uphold the ban.

berserk87
06-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Cheaters in sports should be dealt with harshly, particularly when it is state-sponsored cheating. I'm glad to see strong measures taken against the Russian T&F squad, and honestly can't see how this is in any way "anti-Russian" in nature. There is ample evidence to show that not only were the athletes taking performance-enhancing drugs, but were enabled by their athletic associations and law enforcement agencies.

A friend of mine was an Olympian and won a silver in 2004. Nine years later, the gold medalist's urine was tested and he was found to have used PEDs. My friend was later awarded the gold, but he always talks about how the most disappointing thing for him was the experience being stolen from him. Standing on the podium, hearing the national anthem, all of the accolades that come with a gold medal... he got none of that.

When you decide to cheat, you're screwing over everyone else, not just winning for yourself. These Russian athletes were, by most accounts, part of a system of state-sponsored cheating. I can't see any way that is defensible, and hope that the governing bodies of the sport uphold the ban.

If your friend Adam Nelson?

BobO
06-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Yes, I too, pine for the relative rationality of a Krushchev pounding his shoe at the United Nations General Assembly in 1960. Those were the days. The adults were clearly in charge.

And, I'm not joking. Especially when one considers our own, upcoming electoral prospects in this country. Cheers! :)

The guys rattling ICBM's in their silos were better? :eek:

:p

Sierra
06-18-2016, 08:07 PM
The guys rattling ICBM's in their silos were better? :eek:

:p

Well, it depends on which guys. Let's wait until November and reconvene on the matter, shall we? :)

BobO
06-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Well, it depends on which guys. Let's wait until November and reconvene on the matter, shall we? :)

I'm hoping for the sweet meteor of death before then. :banana: