PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Fat City Cycles Slim Chance 58cm

rwsaunders
06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
I found this gem for the forum hardcore while scouting ebay.

"This is an extremely rare Fat City Cycles Slim Chance in GRELLO!!!! This bike has extremely low miles and is in mint condition. There are only a couple tiny, light scratches on the frame. There are no dings, dents, or rust, no gouges, and faded paint. Check out all the pics and you'll see what I mean. The components are all Campy Record 8spd and are mint! The bar and stem are Cinelli. Pedals are LOOK. Rims are Wolber clinchers. The tires have a lot of tread left, but they are probably a bit dry. I think these are the originals! The seat is not included, most people have their own preference and I am keeping this one. I'll replace it with a different one if you don't already have a personal seat you prefer, but I am not sure what it will be yet. Serial number is 034S18 This bike will NOT be relisted for less $$$$ so if you want it, bite the bullet and bid on it now. I really don't want to part this bike out. The handlebar tape was dirty, and I was about to re-wrap it but then I decided to let the winning bidder pick the tape. I have black with white writing or white with blue writing. winning bidder picks and I will wrap it for you, or if you want to wrap it, I will throw it in the box.
Geometry: Seat tube C-C 58cm, top tube C-C 58cm, head tube 15.5cm."

stevep
06-28-2006, 02:50 PM
ok, nothing super special. not worth lot imho.
crummy, cheap old heavy campy stuff...

Ozz
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
...crummy, cheap old heavy campy stuff...
yeah, you can't give away those old Delta brakes. ;)

Random
06-28-2006, 03:57 PM
I have a road bike Chris made custom for me in Sommervile, MA in 1983. Chris was a great builder, a terrific craftsman, and a fine designer. His prefernce was for quick handling critierion cut frames, tuned with the right materials and tubes in the right places. A crisp, fast, fun bike. I can't comment on the vintage in the ad, I actually thought he stopped making road bikes in 1985 when he swung his attention to Fat bikes. But I can't part with mine.

steelrider
06-28-2006, 06:26 PM
ok, nothing super special. not worth lot imho.
crummy, cheap old heavy campy stuff...

You are correct--NOT! That awesome bicycle jewelry can be rebuilt and will outlast any of the tin, Buck Rogers crud that you have on your beer can or plastic heap!

Big Dan
06-28-2006, 06:34 PM
call me crazy............I like it.... :D

stevep
06-28-2006, 06:49 PM
nah. the nice stuff was referenced earlier by random...the nice lugs and the real craftsmanship, i had a couple of chris' early bikes and i worked with him for some years back in the day. this thing was made in the mt bike shop.
feel free to like it but its not anything special... even if its steel and tig welded...and has delta brakes.
not saying its junk..just saying its not hidden treasure... like a real chris chance frame ( not slim chance )..that would be a find and worthy

stevep
06-28-2006, 07:06 PM
You are correct-- That awesome welded collection of hollow tubes can be rebuilt and will last until you save up enough to buy some of the Buck Rogers jewels that are in your plastic treasure chest! carbon rocks

why thank you steelrider.. i had to repair your comments...now they sound about right. dont be bitter...this editing is a service of the serotta web editors

JasonF
06-28-2006, 07:32 PM
For some bizarre reason, I'm a big fan of late '80s / early '90s bikes painted in new wave neon colors. Serotta had some pretty cool schemes back then too.

taz-t
06-29-2006, 12:45 PM
nah. the nice stuff was referenced earlier by random...the nice lugs and the real craftsmanship, i had a couple of chris' early bikes and i worked with him for some years back in the day. this thing was made in the mt bike shop.
feel free to like it but its not anything special... even if its steel and tig welded...and has delta brakes.
not saying its junk..just saying its not hidden treasure... like a real chris chance frame ( not slim chance )..that would be a find and worthy

Like this?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=125274&postcount=15

-taz

stevep
06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
exactly. that is the good stuff...often star cutouts, genuine handwork.
nice rig..worth something.
good job.
where did you get the bike? when?

taz-t
06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
exactly. that is the good stuff...often star cutouts, genuine handwork.
nice rig..worth something.
good job.
where did you get the bike? when?

It was an eBay find about 2-3 years ago. Turns out it was Ron Andrews bike, didn't know it at the time. Has the star cutout on the bottom head lug and stainless stars on the fork crown - hard to see in the picture. The neon paint keeps people from noticing the nice details. Left fork leg has pink-orange-yellow fade.

- taz

stevep
06-29-2006, 03:12 PM
nice, andrews is still in co making a few ti cages a week for spending money i think

Random
06-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Taz - you mention that the Chance has star cutouts and stainless stars on the crown. Stars were some of Chris' finer details, but he often used sterling silver, not stainless, so don't be giving them away :) The drop outs are likely stainless and the lugs were usually Henry James.