PDA

View Full Version : Smith Helmets?

Sierra
06-17-2016, 08:58 AM
OK, so I tried to sneak this little query into that other thread on the KASK helmets and nobody deigned to respond. Here, overtly then:

Does anybody know anything about these?

Tony
06-17-2016, 09:20 AM
I've been using the Overtake for a year now and like it a lot. Fits like a glove, quiet, and looks good.

old fat man
06-17-2016, 09:34 AM
I've been using the Overtake for a year now and like it a lot. Fits like a glove, quiet, and looks good.

That's a very subjective statement. I can't decide if I love the way it looks or hate it.

Tony
06-17-2016, 10:32 AM
That's a very subjective statement. I can't decide if I love the way it looks or hate it.

My wife doesn't care for the way it looks, says it has a huge frontal area that has a Klingon look : )

saab2000
06-17-2016, 10:34 AM
How is ventilation? I've thought about getting one but the honeycomb webbing inside has me nervous about heat retention.

Tony
06-17-2016, 10:42 AM
How is ventilation? I've thought about getting one but the honeycomb webbing inside has me nervous about heat retention.

I've heard folks mention that ventilation is not on par with conventional helmet designs. I switch between several helmets and haven't noticed a big difference in ventilation, maybe just a little less air flow.
I buzz my head and appreciate the sun protection the design offers.

stien
06-17-2016, 10:46 AM
My wife races in an overtake. She likes it. The only complaint I can recall is that she can't scratch her head through it because of the honeycomb design.

MaraudingWalrus
06-17-2016, 11:20 AM
We've got several customers on smith overtakes. Everybody has been very happy with them. One customer has the MIPS version, which doesn't breath quite as nicely as the non MIPS.

I've been riding with one for about a month. I have a bit too much hair right now to say much on ventilation, but it hasn't been bad. And I'm in central FL. Perhaps if I get a haircut I'll be able to speak to venting better.

can't scratch my head through it, as stien mentions. First couple rides that took some getting used to. And unless you're riding with Smith glasses, it's difficult to stuff your glasses somewhere and be confident that they'll stay.

Sierra
06-17-2016, 11:37 AM
We've got several customers on smith overtakes. Everybody has been very happy with them. One customer has the MIPS version, which doesn't breath quite as nicely as the non MIPS.

I've been riding with one for about a month. I have a bit too much hair right now to say much on ventilation, but it hasn't been bad. And I'm in central FL. Perhaps if I get a haircut I'll be able to speak to venting better.

can't scratch my head through it, as stien mentions. First couple rides that took some getting used to. And unless you're riding with Smith glasses, it's difficult to stuff your glasses somewhere and be confident that they'll stay.

This is interesting. Can you elaborate further please?

If you have to buy into some sort of Smith "system" that would nix it for me.

stien
06-17-2016, 11:52 AM

Well there are channels in which your sunglass arms slide, and they have to be a specific dimension. FWIW she hasn't had a problem with Tifosi glasses in there. I think they'd have to be very different from the norm (like wide arms wouldn't work). Regular skinny arms will be fine.

taylor_walker
06-17-2016, 07:36 PM
Smith started as a ski goggle company in Sun Valley, Idaho in the 1960s. Bob Smith sold his company to a private equity firm (in the 1990s, I think). PE in turn sold to Safilo, one of the two huge Italian eye wear firms.

Safilo owns a stable of their own brands and also licenses designer names and produces, markets and wholesales high-end eye wear worldwide. Smith extended its line of products from ski/snowboard goggles to snow sports helmets in the 2000s, and from there into cycling (in the early teens, I think). They now design everything in Portland, OR, and mostly produce in China.

The guy who runs Smith's design and production team is a friend -- great guy, very accomplished ski racer and a damn good bike racer. He and his team are really passionate about designing great products for cycling and snow sports. And no, I don't have any free Smith gear, nor did he put me up to this.

A kind of funny side story: after Bob Smith sold, he bought a small private jet, which he flew himself. Sometime around 2005 he shot off of the end of the runway at Sun Valley, went though the airport fence, and stopped half way out onto the main street. Nobody was hurt, but Bob sure got grief from everybody he knew ;-)

Taylor
SF CA

MaraudingWalrus
06-17-2016, 08:06 PM

to clarify, I mean when not wearing the glasses over the eyes. Over the years I've gathered a small armada of oakleys (lifeguarding and cycling at an age when I had no other responsibilities). My Oakley Eyeshades fit, but it isn't reassuring. The M Frames, Radars, Jawbones, Flak jackets do not. None of my Lazer sunglasses fit, either.

ajhapps
06-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Just picked up a Forefront during Performance's 30% points back promo. Very curious to see how it all works out, and will report back here once it arrives!

Sierra
06-17-2016, 09:52 PM
to clarify, I mean when not wearing the glasses over the eyes. Over the years I've gathered a small armada of oakleys (lifeguarding and cycling at an age when I had no other responsibilities). My Oakley Eyeshades fit, but it isn't reassuring. The M Frames, Radars, Jawbones, Flak jackets do not. None of my Lazer sunglasses fit, either.

Thank you. And, to be clear, if I were to wear my Oakleys (wrap-around; straight temples over the ears) I should not have a problem? Also, how is ventilation?

Thanks, all, for this information.

Lanternrouge
06-17-2016, 09:52 PM
I have the MIPS version and it breathes adequately for where I live. It fits me well and is comfortable enough that I don't really think about it. I generally keep my glasses on all the time, so sticking them on the helmet isn't so much an issue for me as I've never really done that on other helmets either.