PDA

View Full Version : Dura-Ace 9100?

ANAO
06-16-2016, 04:31 PM
More pics leaked.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/is-this-the-new-shimano-dura-ace-groupset-214802

oldpotatoe
06-16-2016, 05:01 PM
More pics leaked.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/is-this-the-new-shimano-dura-ace-groupset-214802

Looks like aluminum Campy;)

stephenmarklay
06-16-2016, 05:02 PM
More pics leaked.

I really wish all black would not happen. I just don't dig it on my steel bikes.

eBAUMANN
06-16-2016, 05:15 PM
how cool would it have been if they went all-silver...
"oh hey campy, didn't see you there, how do you like our new gruppo?"

oldpotatoe
06-16-2016, 05:21 PM
I really wish all black would not happen. I just don't dig it on my steel bikes.

So don't get it for your steel bikes.................:eek:

AJM100
06-16-2016, 05:40 PM
I can understand woman specific geometry, but what is a woman specific group? Perhaps just the ergonomics of the shifters? The rest marketing nonsense.

stephenmarklay
06-16-2016, 05:42 PM
So don't get it for your steel bikes.................:eek:

True but honesty I like everything about my 105 stuff better than my Athena. Sad but true. I will likely pick up Dura Ace as the model year changes.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
True but honesty I like everything about my 105 stuff better than my Athena. Sad but true. I will likely pick up Dura Ace as the model year changes.

????ok...you said you didn't like black, 9100 is black...Athena is silver so is 105(and black)...

saab2000
06-16-2016, 05:54 PM
The aesthetic of the prototype pictures leave me unimpressed. Is it time for an update already? Seems like 9000 just came out.

chiasticon
06-16-2016, 06:23 PM
holy crankarm! :eek:

jury still out on how often it leaves you stranded with a broken shift cable forty miles from home?

54ny77
06-16-2016, 06:39 PM
fugly.

djg21
06-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Too bad. It looks like it will be eTap on my next bike, unless Shimano surprises us with a wireless group soon.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2016, 06:49 PM
Too bad. It looks like it will be eTap on my next bike, unless Shimano surprises us with a wireless group soon.

Sorry, 4 batteries vs one and about 9-10 inches of wires...don't get the fascination...not to mention wonky shift protocol.

sandyrs
06-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Looks like bike parts. Cool.

saab2000
06-16-2016, 07:26 PM
holy crankarm! :eek:

jury still out on how often it leaves you stranded with a broken shift cable forty miles from home?

As an owner of three D/A 9000 groups I have had good luck so far. No broken cables.

chiasticon
06-16-2016, 07:55 PM
As an owner of three D/A 9000 groups I have had good luck so far. No broken cables.I'm mostly joking. and for sure its a maintenance issue too; replace often enough and you're fine. but I have done the two gear slow ride home with 6800 and 9000 users.

saab2000
06-16-2016, 08:16 PM
I'm mostly joking. and for sure its a maintenance issue too; replace often enough and you're fine. but I have done the two gear slow ride home with 6800 and 9000 users.

I think some of it may be an installation issue. The cable does make a sharp turn and I recall from my own experiences installing them that it can be a bit tricky to make sure it doesn't get a kink in it.

So far, so good. I've never replaced one but I'd also guess that my highest mileage one (my Giant) doesn't have more than 2500 miles on it either. Maybe less. My miles get spread out over a number of bikes so none has super high wear and tear even though some of the cables are years old.

Cicli
06-16-2016, 08:29 PM
This is interesting too.

http://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post/1441/le-shimano-105-arrive-enfin-en-version-di2-5870

berserk87
06-16-2016, 09:11 PM
I am much more a fan of a polished group (if alloy) than black.

Years back I had a set of Velomax Orion wheels. They had the most beautifully polished hub bodies. A couple of years later, they went to black anodization on the hubs. I am speculating that it is less costly to anodize metal than to polish it to a quality finish. I am guessing, again, that there is more work involved in polishing to that degree. The black anodization also looked cheaper.

Either way, it's not a show stopper for me. More of a preference than a need.

djg21
06-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Sorry, 4 batteries vs one and about 9-10 inches of wires...don't get the fascination...not to mention wonky shift protocol.

we've had this discussion before! :beer:

I'm not so sure "wonky" is an apt description. It's actually pretty ingenious, and as far as I could tell in the few minutes I played with it, very intuitive and impressive. I really don't know how much of a advantage or disadvantage multiple batteries might be.

stephenmarklay
06-16-2016, 10:00 PM
????ok...you said you didn't like black, 9100 is black...Athena is silver so is 105(and black)...

Sorry, I should have said aside from looks which the Athena is great I like the ugly 105 better. The function anyway is better for me.
I actually like the current DA silver/black. I may be alone in this.

saab2000
06-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Sorry, I should have said aside from looks which the Athena is great I like the ugly 105 better. The function anyway is better for me.
I actually like the current DA silver/black. I may be alone in this.

You are not alone. I like the 9000 aesthetic as well and it works very nicely, thank you very much.

I'm a lifelong Campagnolo rider and love the function and durability of my Campagnolo stuff but I have have been open minded on the Shimano and have not been disappointed. It's very, very good.

stephenmarklay
06-16-2016, 10:14 PM
You are not alone. I like the 9000 aesthetic as well and it works very nicely, thank you very much.

I'm a lifelong Campagnolo rider and love the function and durability of my Campagnolo stuff but I have have been open minded on the Shimano and have not been disappointed. It's very, very good.

I also don’t hate Athena. I think the cranks are pretty, the RD is cool with the big wheels. I did not love the FD setup as it seemed to have a very narrow cable tension that worked well. Having said that I set it up once and never even had to adjust it. The hoods were a tad less comfy than my 105.

bfd
06-16-2016, 10:17 PM

I'm not so sure "wonky" is an apt description. It's actually pretty ingenious, and as far as I could tell in the few minutes I played with it, very intuitive and impressive. I really don't know how much of a advantage or disadvantage multiple batteries might be.

Agree. My buddy just got a trek with etap and he said it took about 2 seconds to learn. Shift with right hand makes it easier, shift with left hand makes it harder and shift both hands at Santa time shifts FD. What's not to like?!

I think OP needs to actual try etap and stop reading the reviews! Good Luck!

Ps - btw I'm a Campy guy, but am considering etap for my next bike!

saab2000
06-16-2016, 10:40 PM
I also don’t hate Athena. I think the cranks are pretty, the RD is cool with the big wheels. I did not love the FD setup as it seemed to have a very narrow cable tension that worked well. Having said that I set it up once and never even had to adjust it. The hoods were a tad less comfy than my 105.

That's an interesting observation. My two preferences, and they're very, very minor, are that I prefer the Campagnolo front shifting over Shimano and the Shimano rear shifting over Campagnolo. Both are, nearly imperceptibly, better in my opinion, over the other. Mostly they're just a bit different, but I actually prefer the Campagnolo front shifting ever so slightly. My bikes seem dialed in. On the rear shifting I actually prefer the Shimano ergonomics very slightly. Shift quality seems the same, varying mostly on my mood of the day. Both are ridiculously good when installed properly and people who disagree are grumpier than even myself! :beer:

stephenmarklay
06-16-2016, 10:47 PM
That's an interesting observation. My two preferences, and they're very, very minor, are that I prefer the Campagnolo front shifting over Shimano and the Shimano rear shifting over Campagnolo. Both are, nearly imperceptibly, better in my opinion, over the other. Mostly they're just a bit different, but I actually prefer the Campagnolo front shifting ever so slightly. My bikes seem dialed in. On the rear shifting I actually prefer the Shimano ergonomics very slightly. Shift quality seems the same, varying mostly on my mood of the day. Both are ridiculously good when installed properly and people who disagree are grumpier than even myself! :beer:

No doubt talking shifting differences is splitting hairs. Having had some Sram front shifting experience I can appreciate them both :)

oldpotatoe
06-17-2016, 06:59 AM

YUP, and probably again in a few weeks after SoCalSteve rides his.

One thing I like about my EPS is shifting front and rear at the same time..around corner..opps, big hill, small ring and bigger cogs at same time..

Do ya think shimano could build a wireless Di2? I'll bet they could. I'll bet they could make a carbon crank and BB30 also..but they don't. I'm not saying they are the cycling gods on the mountain top but they 'don't' do a lot of stuff for a reason. Wireless answers no question, solves no problem other than ease to the guy building it.

Single shift lever per side, patents and such...they had to figure out something..right higher, left lower gear is their 'solution'...wonky..

AND how come you can only charge one of the 2 sram type batteries at a time? Why not a 2 battery...dock..??

And can you check the charge of the 2302 batteries in the levers? Tube-check, tire levers-check, pump-check, spare 2302 batteries-check:)

BdaGhisallo
06-17-2016, 07:03 AM
Wireless answers no question, solves no problem other than ease to the guy building it.

Single shift lever per side, patents and such...they had to figure out something..right higher, left lower gear is their 'solution'...wonky..

Pretty much.

chiasticon
06-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Wireless answers no question, solves no problem other than ease to the guy building it.

Single shift lever per side, patents and such...they had to figure out something..right higher, left lower gear is their 'solution'...wonky..I agree that wireless mainly makes building the bike a lot easier, BUT it also makes it look cleaner. and c'mon, with how many people buy super expensive deep carbon wheels just because they look sweet, we know cyclists are way into aesthetics.

again I don't get the wonky complaint though; as I've said before, Shimano sprint shifters function the exact same way. personally I think I using your thumb to shift is wonky but, opinions are like *ssholes and all that... :butt: