PDA

View Full Version : Nice 'new' wheels with rim transfer

Robbos
06-16-2016, 09:25 AM
So here's the short tale of my latest wheel build. I'm posting this as I think that rim transfers are a great way to get nice wheels much cheaper.
Found a pair of DT RR1450 Mon Chasseral wheels locally for cheap. The rear rim failed, as all 1450 MC do eventually it would seem, due to the fact that they are single eyeleted (vs the double eyelets found on the standard 1450's, but hey, it saves 30 grams!).
I paid 90 US. Got some A23 rims on a pro deal. Replaced the driveside spokes with DT Competitions as a) owner clearly dumped a chain into the spokes once b) DT Revolutions are too spindly on the driveside for my 185 pounds. Used Sapim 14mm brass (sorry, no alu for me) to compensate for very slight variation in ERD and use of offset rim in rear.
Overall, the build went well. A little disappointed with some aspects of the A23's like the rim joint which is not very clean (might have to lightly file them, plus see anodizing in photo), and a few spots where the spoke drilling holes on the inside were slightly off by a few mm, kinda sloppy looking. I also found them slightly softer that the DT, Mavic, and Salsa I've previously built.
And I have to say, the spoke wind up on DT Revolutions was more fiddly than I thought it would be. If I did this on a regular basis, I'd get the Twist Resist tool.
Spoke tension was not as uniform as I'd like, and I spent a good deal of time fine-tuning it. But at 28 spokes, it is not a huge concern.
So a pair of 1650 gram wide-rim wheels, with DT hubs (they're in great nic), Revolution and Competition spokes for under $300 (vs over 800 new) and a bit of wrenching!
Long live rim transfers!

peanutgallery
06-16-2016, 09:48 AM
H plus son archetypes, son

Velocity build quality is right up there with stans rims, craptastic. I too like to mess around with this kinda stuff and salvage wheels on the cheap. Self satisfaction:)

oldpotatoe
06-16-2016, 09:57 AM
H plus son archetypes, son

Velocity build quality is right up there with stans rims, craptastic. I too like to mess around with this kinda stuff and salvage wheels on the cheap. Self satisfaction:)

I know I sound like a Velocity fan-boy but I build a lot of wheels and a lot of Velocity and I just haven't seen big QC issues on the last dozen or so Velocity rims I have built. A23, Fusion, MajorTom, Escape...no issues, no problems. They build well and quickly with even tension.

As for stans rims, I would rather walk then ever use one and I will never build with one..samo for mavic..junque.

Robbos
06-16-2016, 02:32 PM
The fact of the matter is that Old Potatoe builds far more wheels than I, so I can only conclude that I'm a) overly picky or b) it was a less than average set of rims. Just expect more from a rim that costs roughly $100.
I heard lots of stories about the dark era of velocity production when they moved to the US; these rims are from this year, post-teething period.
At any rate, they're still a nice set of wheels, and I am a full convert to DT hubs.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2016, 05:34 PM
The fact of the matter is that Old Potatoe builds far more wheels than I, so I can only conclude that I'm a) overly picky or b) it was a less than average set of rims. Just expect more from a rim that costs roughly $100.
I heard lots of stories about the dark era of velocity production when they moved to the US; these rims are from this year, post-teething period.
At any rate, they're still a nice set of wheels, and I am a full convert to DT hubs.

Call me next time you may need Velocity rims...