PDA

View Full Version : Ksyrium dating ?

tuscanyswe
06-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Ksyriums been around for a long time. Remember when i first saw a set in the store, they looked so cool to me! Years passed and now a days i usually dont like ksyriums very much visually but then i came across these wheels on a bike i bought and i couldnt put my finger on why i was somewhat drawn to them visually again.

Thinking its the black hub black spoke but all silver rim combo that i like. Did a quick google search but couldn't seem to find any other wheels like this. The ones i could find were all black or all silver with the colored spoke variations in various schemes.

Anyone know what year these r?

peanutgallery
06-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Check out the rogue mechanic, extensive stuff on those and spokes too. Mavic doesn't support them for more than 5 or 6 years. Great resource if you dig thru his site

There is a section to ID your wheels

Mikej
06-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Hmm that's an odd one, I remember 2000 before my the first silver, but I think you may have a repaired 1998 99 with a near rim?

Cicli
06-15-2016, 06:47 PM
I like wheels but not enough to date them.

guido
06-15-2016, 08:07 PM
I only date wheels with traditional (brass) nipples...

eBAUMANN
06-15-2016, 08:08 PM
I've never seen a mismatch set like that, very possible it was rebuilt with a silver rim.

rustychisel
06-15-2016, 10:11 PM
I've never seen a mismatch set like that, very possible it was rebuilt with a silver rim.

Agreed. That's a circa 1992 SSC-SL with newer rim.

tuscanyswe
06-16-2016, 01:40 AM
Thx all.

That was my thought as well, the rebuild idea that is.
But its a complete wheelset both front n rear wheels and neither hub spokes or rims look to have more than a couple of 100 miles or so.

Od!

El Chaba
06-16-2016, 06:37 AM
Check out the rogue mechanic, extensive stuff on those and spokes too. Mavic doesn't support them for more than 5 or 6 years. Great resource if you dig thru his site

There is a section to ID your wheels

The Ksyriums are incredibly durable wheels. It's a shame that Mavic has chosen not to support them with continued spoke availability. One of the few things that can kill a Ksyrium is to have a "close encounter" and catch a skewer or pedal in one and take out a spoke or two. With a few spare spokes they can usually be repaired as good as new...

Erik_A
06-16-2016, 06:53 AM
The tubular versions are still a staple in the (amateur) cyclocross world. Incredibly strong and light race wheels.

Mikej
06-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Agreed. That's a circa 1992 SSC-SL with newer rim.
I looked back and my ne were 2003 so I remember the year or two following the TDF specials were the first silvers with the yellow spoke?

benb
06-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Those must seem super aero with the extra magnet! Must be really great for the ego!

I had a set of 2004 Kysrium SSL SCs I would have said they looked just like those other than color but I don't remember them having that one spoke with the sticker on it.

I wish I had never gotten rid of those wheels they were great.

tuscanyswe
06-16-2016, 12:23 PM
They certainly are extra aero or sometin cause the polar cs500 shows average speed about 30 km/h and so does the campy ergobrain and it wasn't often i averaged 60km/h before i got these wheels i can tell you that much!

texbike
06-16-2016, 01:40 PM
That's a circa 1992 SSC-SL with newer rim.

Hmmm. Are you sure about that? 1992? The Heliums preceded the Ksyriums and the Heliums weren't out until what, 1996? I would guess that the 1st Ksyiums were on the scene around 2000.

I have a set of the 1st Gen Kysrium SSCs (2001ish) that I bought from Thwart 7 or 8 years ago. I've replaced a couple of bearings and a freehub bushing, but they're still going strong.

I 2nd the opinion that these are an earlier set of hubs laced to a later rim. The front hub in the picture looks just like the one on my early SSCs.

Texbike

tuscanyswe
06-16-2016, 01:49 PM
Hmmm. Are you sure about that? 1992? The Heliums preceded the Ksyriums and the Heliums weren't out until what, 1996? I would guess that the 1st Ksyiums were on the scene around 2000.

I have a set of the 1st Gen Kysrium SSCs (2001ish) that I bought from Thwart 7 or 8 years ago. I've replaced a couple of bearings and a freehub bushing, but they're still going strong.

I 2nd the opinion that these are an earlier set of hubs laced to a later rim. The front hub in the picture looks just like the one on my early SSCs.

Texbike

Thats quite possible.
Im however intrigued as to why one would do that considering the hubs n spokes have definitely not been ridden to the point of the rims giving up. More like around the block once or twice.

Mostly I'm curious if the one who did this was as anal as me and just decided he wanted to have silver rims on his basically new black ksyriums and replaced them just because .) Guess ill never know but it hit me something was out of the ordinary with these wheels when i looked at them.

tv_vt
06-16-2016, 02:03 PM
I like wheels but not enough to date them.

I'd date a Cosmic any day of the week, but not a Ksyrium.

texbike
06-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Thats quite possible.
Im however intrigued as to why one would do that considering the hubs n spokes have definitely not been ridden to the point of the rims giving up. More like around the block once or twice.

Mostly I'm curious if the one who did this was as anal as me and just decided he wanted to have silver rims on his basically new black ksyriums and replaced them just because .) Guess ill never know but it hit me something was out of the ordinary with these wheels when i looked at them.

If like most Ksyriums, the original rim(s) probably developed cracks around the spoke holes. The SLs were/are infamous for this.

Oh, and for dating wheels, I think I'd like something 60s/70s vintage. Italian, high-flanged. Classy, elegant, polished and with somewhat of a plush ride. ;)

Texbike

firerescuefin
06-16-2016, 05:07 PM
2002-2004...the inside of the rim is milled. The previous (original gen) did not have that.

rustychisel
06-16-2016, 06:45 PM

Texbike

Yes, you're quite right... call it a seniors moment.
Make that 2002 or 2003, round about then. Sorry all.