PDA

View Full Version : Wide rim question

Robbos
06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
I'll try to make this clear and concise! I recently built up a pair of wheels using A23 rims. I understand the principle of being able to run a 23mm tire a lower pressure with less risk of pinch flats. However on the chipped and crappy tarmac in my area, I don't find the set up (Veloflex Corsas) forgiving enough (185 pound rider, 85psi front/95psi rear). I actually find my DT585 wheelset with MIchelin Service Course tires (25mm that measure 26.5mm on the rim) more comfy as I can run them at lower pressures due to their size.
So, if I run a 25mm tire on the A23's, I'll have a higher volume of air, but in principle I cannot run the pressure too low as the form of the tire is back to mimicking classic 'narrow' rims thus creating pinch flat risks.
Does this make sense? Either way, I'll probably slap on a pair of Conti 4000s I have in a 25mm to see how they ride.
Thoughts?

sparky33
06-15-2016, 12:40 PM
It sounds like you compare dissimilar tires (brand, size, etc) and expect alignment of results. i.e. tire X 23mm on wide rim = tire Y 26mm on narrow rim. too many variables.

I think of it as tire X 23mm on narrow is good, and tire X 23mm on wide rim is even better.

Try both tires on both rims and pick the combination that works best for you.

staggerwing
06-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Go crazy, and try some 28's on those rims. If you are on chipseal, or other coarse pavement, and your frame will accommodate, puffy tires are a revelation.

BTW, 4000's are available in 28, and there is a fellow paceliner over in the FS area (mcewen) selling them new for reasonable money.

darkmother
06-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Bigger tires work nicely on A23 rims. I pair them with CX tires measuring 33 mm. If your bike has enough clearance don't hesitate.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

DFORD
06-15-2016, 07:52 PM
if you have not bought tire yet, get the widest that will fir in your frame. Turbo 27 or GP 4000 27s

you will like them

spartanKid
06-15-2016, 08:53 PM
So, if I run a 25mm tire on the A23's, I'll have a higher volume of air, but in principle I cannot run the pressure too low as the form of the tire is back to mimicking classic 'narrow' rims thus creating pinch flat risks.
Does this make sense? Either way, I'll probably slap on a pair of Conti 4000s I have in a 25mm to see how they ride.
Thoughts?

I run 25 mm Schwalbe Ones on 23 mm Archetypes down to 80-85 psi without worrying about mimicking the old "light bulb" shape.

I always thought that the decreased risk of pinch flats with 23 mm tires on 23 mm rims was due to the increase air volume alone. I'm not sure having the tire sidewall more closely align with exterior rim really helps with pinch flats, as the hook of the clincher rim will still be "underneath" the tube, and thus still able to cause pinch flats.

Anyway, I have no doubt (and like 8,000 mi of anecdotal experience) that says 25 mm tires on 23 mm rims is great.