PDA

View Full Version : So I went and picked up another bike! Somec!

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 09:33 PM
So while I was looking on the local Craigslist last night I stumbled across a Somec. To make matters worse it looked like it would fit and the price was more than right. It has some surface rust on the chrome, but overall it's in very good shape. Not sure what the model is but it has the old acciaio speciale tubing. Might strip it and put campy chorus on it. Needs a good cleaning and some different bar tape for sure.

Tickdoc
06-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Nice! I'm dying to see that with some brown leather wrap and saddle. Beautiful bike and congrats!

stephenmarklay
06-14-2016, 09:36 PM
That will look great when its done.

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 09:41 PM
Yes I can't wait to clean it up and throw on the chorus 9spd group or maybe even record 10? Was not expecting to buy another bike, but I have never even seen one for sale and it fits. Oh well looks like I have to drop my prices on the others I have for sale and strip one down for parts...

Tickdoc
06-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Yes I can't wait to clean it up and throw on the chorus 9spd group or maybe even record 10? Was not expecting to buy another bike, but I have never even seen one for sale and it fits. Oh well looks like I have to drop my prices on the others I have for sale and strip one down for parts...

Don't feel bad, I bought one too. If the shoe fits!

cadence90
06-14-2016, 09:45 PM
I love Somecs. That looks like a nice one.

The brake cable just need a tad more length up front, though. ;)

oliver1850
06-14-2016, 09:45 PM
Looks great as is to me. I might trade you some Chorus or Record 9/10 for that old junk that's on there now.

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 09:47 PM
I love Somecs. That looks like a nice one.

The brake cable just need a tad more length up front, though. ;)

I haven't even cleaned it yet lol. I pumped up the tires and slapped on a saddle to try it out. Gonna clean it up and get thing's sorted soon. It rides very nice and looks like it should fit a decent size tire.:D:D

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Looks great as is to me. I might trade you some Chorus or Record 9/10 for that old junk that's on there now.

The crank is from a Bianchi and the superbe levers don't match the rest of the campy stuff. I am not opposed to keeping it period correct.

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 09:55 PM
Don't feel bad, I bought one too. If the shoe fits!

I couldn't really help myself. These don't come up all that often and the detail on this frame is pretty stunning. I hope to get some better pics once it's ready.:beer:

cadence90
06-14-2016, 09:57 PM
I haven't even cleaned it yet lol. I pumped up the tires and slapped on a saddle to try it out. Gonna clean it up and get thing's sorted soon. It rides very nice and looks like it should fit a decent size tire.:D:D Oh I know. I was just joking. :)
Great that it fits.

I couldn't really help myself. These don't come up all that often and the detail on this frame is pretty stunning. I hope to get some better pics once it's ready.:beer:

Yes, Somec details are beautiful.
Definitely post some of the details. :beer:

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Oh I know. I was just joking. :)
Great that it fits.

Yes, Somec details are beautiful.
Definitely post some of the details. :beer:

The paint is in pretty good shape. I have to get to work on the chrome! Would love to know what year and model it is.

ultraman6970
06-14-2016, 10:22 PM
Congrats. what you can do with the rust in the chrome is to sand it out with coca cola and aluminum foil, then you have to polish the heck out of it.

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Congrats. what you can do with the rust in the chrome is to sand it out with coca cola and aluminum foil, then you have to polish the heck out of it.

I have heard this before, but never tried it. Do I just use any old chrome polish?

gpendergast
06-14-2016, 10:31 PM
Now that's a bike!

Clearly you need to send some alloy Campagnolo to Somec for pantographing :hello:

Hilltopperny
06-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Now that's a bike!

Clearly you need to send some alloy Campagnolo to Somec for pantographing :hello:

That would be something. I've seen the others on the forum and it's definitely stunning. Wonder what a job like that would cost?

ultraman6970
06-14-2016, 10:45 PM
Yes.

I have heard this before, but never tried it. Do I just use any old chrome polish?

cadence90
06-14-2016, 11:21 PM

Aluminum foil? What does that do? Interesting.

ultraman6970
06-14-2016, 11:35 PM
BAsically what it does is to remove (or at least try) all the high spots of rust that are pocking off the chrome surface. If you want to do it quickly just sand it with like 600 grit and coke, and then polish.

The biggest problem with chroming is that if the owner is not cleaning it a few times to remove the moisture and dust, the chrome will start rusting and thats why old chromed italian bikes (in particular) have the chrome all busted.

cadence90
06-14-2016, 11:59 PM
Thanks. I had no idea alu foil could work in that way.

CampyorBust
06-15-2016, 06:46 AM
Nice score! A keeper for sure.:hello:

I recently rekindled a relationship with my Somec. In all honesty I would take the Somec over the Corsa Extra anyday of the week and I do often.

Hilltopperny
06-15-2016, 06:57 AM

I recently rekindled a relationship with my Somec. In all honesty I would take the Somec over the Corsa Extra anyday of the week and I do often.

I used to have a tenth anniversary extra corsa. I liked it very much, but the somec is definitely a keeper. Got rid of the merckx a couple of years ago. The detail on the somec frames is amazing and I can't wait to clean it up and put a modern group on. I think I will ride it a lot more with chorus 9 or record 10, but if I can find a nice period correct super record crank and brake levers I may go that route.

YoKev
06-15-2016, 07:17 AM
I thought you were in selling mode!

CampyorBust
06-15-2016, 07:22 AM
I used to have a tenth anniversary extra corsa. I liked it very much, but the somec is definitely a keeper. Got rid of the merckx a couple of years ago. The detail on the somec frames is amazing and I can't wait to clean it up and put a modern group on. I think I will ride it a lot more with chorus 9 or record 10, but if I can find a nice period correct super record crank and brake levers I may go that route.

Yup, I am in the same boat I have 8 speed Campy on there, want 10speed. Still it flies with 8 speed Campy just fine, climbing is a bit painful. I have the Somec Air 2001, I can't track down your model though it looks like its from the year of the 1st catalog on their website...

http://www.somec.com/en/factory/vintage_catalogs/

Some Somec goodies on the feebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-1049-A-170-Strada-Super-Record-crankset-Panto-Engraved-SOMEC-/281894740297?hash=item41a23c6149:g:c-kAAOSwNyFWfzWn

Though they are 170 cranks perhaps too short for a large frame like this.

So Somec still does pantographing and on modern stuff to boot! Have you seen this?...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=166359

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/ontdforkari/gifs/ST/oaae5z.gif

Hilltopperny
06-15-2016, 07:42 AM

Yup! Still am, but this was one of those too good to pass up deals on a keeper. Guess I'm gonna have to build a big climate controlled shed...

Hilltopperny
06-15-2016, 07:45 AM
Yup, I am in the same boat I have 8 speed Campy on there, want 10speed. Still it flies with 8 speed Campy just fine, climbing is a bit painful. I have the Somec Air 2001, I can't track down your model though it looks like its from the year of the 1st catalog on their website...

http://www.somec.com/en/factory/vintage_catalogs/

Some Somec goodies on the feebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-1049-A-170-Strada-Super-Record-crankset-Panto-Engraved-SOMEC-/281894740297?hash=item41a23c6149:g:c-kAAOSwNyFWfzWn

Though they are 170 cranks perhaps too short for a large frame like this.

So Somec still does pantographing and on modern stuff to boot! Have you seen this?...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=166359

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/ontdforkari/gifs/ST/oaae5z.gif

Yes, that modern panto work is crazy. May end up sending out a gruppo or possibly accumulating some pantoed parts for a proper build.

paredown
06-15-2016, 07:56 AM

My question eggzactly:no:

Climate controlled shed=good idea.

Hilltopperny
06-15-2016, 07:57 AM
My question eggzactly:no:

Climate controlled shed=good idea.

The first step is admitting you have a problem! My name is Adam and I'm a bicycle addict:D

rohan
06-15-2016, 09:22 AM

That's high praise!

How many are you keeping?

Hilltopperny
06-15-2016, 09:38 AM
That's high praise!

How many are you keeping?

As many as I don't sell off. I have quite the lengthy list in the classifieds. Won't be closing on the house until mid july, early August.

ultraman6970
06-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Somec is one of those brands that anybody should have in their bucket list, thats the reason u dont see them that often either, CBT IMO is another weird brand that made really well finished steel bikes.

Hilltopperny
06-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Somec is one of those brands that anybody should have in their bucket list, thats the reason u dont see them that often either, CBT IMO is another weird brand that made really well finished steel bikes.

Don'tthink I've ever heard of CBT before unless I'm missing what it stands for, but this some is a keeper for sure. It's a super smooth ride and looks beautiful. I have to set some time aside to strip it down, clean it up and set up the new gruppo.

ultraman6970
06-15-2016, 06:15 PM
CBT Italia, one of those manufacturers that have been under the radar for a while, just like somec.

U can find CBTs at ebay time to time for almost nothing.

Hilltopperny
06-15-2016, 07:01 PM
CBT Italia, one of those manufacturers that have been under the radar for a while, just like somec.

U can find CBTs at ebay time to time for almost nothing.

Will certainly check them out. I need another bike like a whole in the head, but always love looking at nice bikes. My current number is well above reasonable...