PDA

View Full Version : 29er tires for dry conditions

stephenmarklay
06-14-2016, 06:57 AM
What tires do you folks like for dry to hardback conditions?

My salsa came with pretty average tires and I am looking for an upgrade. We are pretty dry and dusty for the most part and getting traction through hard pack berms with a dusting of dirt (kind of slippery) is important for me.

Mikej
06-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Tubeless? I'd go with racing ralphs.

stephenmarklay
06-14-2016, 07:18 AM
Tubeless? I'd go with racing ralphs.

Oh shoot good call. I am on tubed rims now. I would like to upgrade the rims however. Can I run a tubeless tire with non-tubeless rims and a tube?

Gummee
06-14-2016, 07:18 AM
RRs do OK.

So do XR1s from Bontrager.

IDK if they make em for 29ers, but I had good luck with 26er Hutchison Pythons in Sandy Eggo.

Best bet tho is to ask the LBS that mtn bikes what works for them.

M

Idris Icabod
06-14-2016, 08:14 AM
I ride in Tucson were it's dry most of the year. I like Maxxis Ardent because we have a lot of sand and they give enough bite. I've also had good experiences with Kenda Happy Medium but just swapped them out on one bike as the sand is getting too deep and I can't get any traction. They are surprisingly good cornering.

wombatspeed
06-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Racing Ralphs. For racing, or great ride quality, but they wear fast.

Maxxix Ikon EXC. Still roll well, but you might lose a few seconds in each hour of racing. Wear like iron, though.

Both are very good tubeless, which i think is the only way to go for MTB.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Tony
06-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Maxxis Ikon EXO, front and rear on my hardtail, works very well in dry and hardback conditions, roll fast and seem to last.

On my full suspension I run a more aggressive set up, Maxxis Ardent EXO rear, and Bontrager XR4 front. I didn't care for the way the Ardent's felt up front.

FWIW I've had nothing but problems with Racing Ralphs

wooly
06-14-2016, 10:13 AM
+3 on the Maxxis Ikons. Great for the summer here in so cal on loose over hard

Tony
06-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Oh shoot good call. I am on tubed rims now. I would like to upgrade the rims however. Can I run a tubeless tire with non-tubeless rims and a tube?

Yes

quehill
06-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Ikons are great until you get into anything loose... then not so much.

I like Ardents and I really like the Vittoria Goma in 2.4. Both are reasonably fast rolling and work great on rock or loose over hard. Gomas also have the advantage of lasting forever. And they're a fun rear tire because they break traction super predictably when you lean them over.

Cheers

MTB81
06-14-2016, 10:53 AM
WTB Nine Line TCS Light

malcolm
06-14-2016, 12:50 PM
I run ralphs on our rocky rooty hard pack and they do great.

I've been wanting to try something similar to a motorcycle trials type tire. I rode and raced dirt bikes for years just recently stopped and for the last few years had been riding a trials type tire, smaller, shorter knobbies but more of them. Originally I started using them to protect the trails but honestly I think they may have worked better that the more traditional tire on hard pack. Now loamy or muddy was a horse of a different color but hard pack they were awesome.

ColonelJLloyd
06-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Just finished a gravel tour with a buddy who was running Furious Freds on his Fargo. He was very happy with them. For comparison I was running Compass Switchback Hills. We actually rode through quite a bit of mud and hardpack dirt (more or less level) and there weren't areas where I slipped and he didn't or vice versa.

If Compass ever makes the RTP/SBH in 700c, THAT is gonna be the 29"x2" tire that fits the bill for a lot of riding.

bbobway
06-14-2016, 01:26 PM
Schwalbe Thunder Burts. Fast, light, and reliable tubeless.

redir
06-14-2016, 01:31 PM
I've got a wheelset for dry days with Kenda Small Block Eight tires on and they do a pretty good job. Fast rollers that still feel grippy, light in weight, and not terribly expensive too.

stephenmarklay
06-14-2016, 05:17 PM
I run ralphs on our rocky rooty hard pack and they do great.

I've been wanting to try something similar to a motorcycle trials type tire. I rode and raced dirt bikes for years just recently stopped and for the last few years had been riding a trials type tire, smaller, shorter knobbies but more of them. Originally I started using them to protect the trails but honestly I think they may have worked better that the more traditional tire on hard pack. Now loamy or muddy was a horse of a different color but hard pack they were awesome.

Cool thought. These type of tires are actually good on little dual sports. I would think lots of small knobs siped.

Steve in SLO
06-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I ride a lot of that kind of stuff up here in SLO. I like the Kenda Small Block Eights as well.

stephenmarklay
06-14-2016, 05:19 PM
Lots of great ideas everyone. Keep them coming.

Any feedback on nobby nics?

ofcounsel
06-14-2016, 06:49 PM
Lots of great ideas everyone. Keep them coming.

Any feedback on nobby nics?

I use a combination Racing Ralph rear and a Nobby Nic front. The Nobby Nic gives a little extra bite on the looser stuff on the front tire where it's useful for turn-in and front grip, and it still rolls fast enough.

I've also used a similar combination of Maxxis Ardent Race rear with an Ardent front. Both work well for me, with the Maxxis being a bit more durable and the Schwalbe's being a bit of a lighter weight, more expensive combo.

Al