PDA

View Full Version : Antares, Arione, or Alliante

Birddog
06-13-2016, 08:49 PM
I'm trying to decide on a new saddle. I've been riding an Alliante for about 5 years and it is fine but I'm wondering if one of either the Arione or the Antares might be an improvement. My arse seems to adapt to pretty much any saddle, I've had or have a Brooks B17. A Brooks Pro, the Alliante and an older Regal. I'm probably a chameleon in the Fizik world, I can touch my toes but it is a slow and difficult process at my age and with my gut. Thoughts?

Gummee
06-13-2016, 08:54 PM
I can't ride the 'scoop-style' saddle. I've tried Antares-es and have a few Ariones now.

Ya gotta try em.

The new Arione shape is different than the old Arione shape.

M

unterhausen
06-13-2016, 10:13 PM
I have been riding an Aliante for quite some time now. I got an Airone as an experiment, I was having some problems with my man-parts and wondered if a flatter saddle would help. The problem I had with the Airone is that I have interference with my inner thighs. Probably because I push too far back on the saddle, but it does seem wider. I really like them though. I went back to all Aliante, and I'm happy with that decision. The Airone looks like an ass hatchet, but I found it really comfortable. YMMV. I think there are a lot more used Airones out there than Aliantes, if that tells you anything.

The man-parts problem seems to be with certain shorts and their "modesty panel" on the front, and saddles don't seem to have anything to do with it. I particularly have problems with Voler shorts. They work great for 60-ish miles, and then they start cutting and slashing.

ahumblecycler
06-14-2016, 04:03 AM
I started riding the classic Arione in 2003 and switched to the CX version in 2009, which has been on all my until the last year. I cannot say what changed, but I decided to try the new Antares R3, and I have not looked back. I now have one for each of my bikes.

I tried the new Arione R-series but did not get on with it. The previous Aliante model had potential but didn't like me getting into my drops.

Go to your LBS and find the Fizik test models ... save some money and remorse.

Sierra
06-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Personally, I've never ridden on a more comfortable saddle than the Aliante. I am not even tempted now to change.

benb
06-14-2016, 08:31 AM
These are all different widths.. that should have a huge impact on which one feels comfortable to you. If you know you belong on that width you wouldn't want to cross shop other Fizik saddles that are different widths, you'd want to cross shop other brands' saddles in the same width you know works.

I need 130mm saddles, the Aliante and Antares are both chafing factories for me cause their too wide. If I push the Arione too far forward I get chafing too though. The only way I can see a saddle working that is too wide is if it's pushed so far back you're not using the widest part of the saddle, but saddles aren't really designed to be used that way are they?

juanj
06-14-2016, 11:26 AM
I had been using an Aliante for several years and liked it well. I then got an Antares just to try something different and I liked it even more. Before buying the Antares, I checked its dimensions, and the Antares is the same length and width as the Aliante. The difference between the saddles that I experienced is that the Aliante seems to have more give, thus it seems to cradle you. The Antares (mine is the VS, with the small channel), is a flatter and stiffer saddle. The thing I like about the Antares it is that it gives me better positioning options, depending on whether I'm in the flats, climbing, sprinting, spinning, etc., etc. (these are very, very small position adjustments I'm talking about, nothing radical).

Regarding the Arione, from what I recall, it's the longest of the three saddles (I think 300mm vs. 275mm).

Edit to add dimensions:
Arione R5: 300x132
Antares R5: 275 x 142
Aliante R5: 275x140

Note that the various sub-models are slightly different dimensions.

Likes2ridefar
06-14-2016, 11:40 AM
I can ride most saddles and find all the fizik saddles comfortable. My favorite is the antares 00. I got the last one "used" off amazon for a little over $100 a month or so ago. It came brand new in the box.

thwart
06-14-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm trying to decide on a new saddle. I've been riding an Alliante for about 5 years and it is fine but I'm wondering if one of either the Arione or the Antares might be an improvement. My arse seems to adapt to pretty much any saddle, I've had or have a Brooks B17. A Brooks Pro, the Alliante and an older Regal. I'm probably a chameleon in the Fizik world, I can touch my toes but it is a slow and difficult process at my age and with my gut. Thoughts?

Why try to fix what's not broken?

... especially when it comes to saddles

... or running shoes

... or wives/SO's... ;)

pdmtong
06-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Alliante as a one position saddle. You sit in it, not on it.

Arione is flat - you can slide all over it.

I like Arione. I do not like Alliante

I tried Antares - but the rear outer edges kept digging into me no matter what I did and so it was a no go.

djg21
06-14-2016, 01:48 PM

If it ain't broke, why fix it? if you like the Aliante, why not stick with it. If you are curious, go to a shop that has Fizik demo saddles and try the Arione or Antares.

oldpotatoe
06-14-2016, 04:00 PM

Many decent LBS have Fizik saddle test ride programs and saddles. Go try one.

Birddog
06-14-2016, 08:33 PM
All of my saddles seem to be hammock type. I like to move around on the saddle, so I thought I might try something more conducive to that. I'm leaning toward the Antares.

cadence90
06-14-2016, 08:36 PM
Alliante as a one position saddle. You sit in it, not on it.

Arione is flat - you can slide all over it.

I like Arione. I do not like Alliante

I tried Antares - but the rear outer edges kept digging into me no matter what I did and so it was a no go.
That's a very good general summation. As good as it gets without test riding.

Many decent LBS have Fizik saddle test ride programs and saddles. Go try one.
Is that program still active? All the LA area bike shops I called no longer offer it.