PDA

View Full Version : Framing Suggestions - Stained Glass Cyclist

Brian Cdn
06-13-2016, 05:24 PM
35 years ago I was given this custom 14" x 26" stained glass window, as a house warming surprise present. It was done by a glass artist friend of mine who did the cyclist (supposedly me) in club colors of the Scarborough Cycle Club I belonged to, riding a purple bike (my '82 Marinoni), complete with hairnet helmet. I still have the Marinoni... but the hair and hairnet have been misplaced

For the past 35 yrs, the stained glass window has hung in our dining room from two chains attached to the hooks in the lead bead.

Recently, some renovation and painting required the glass to be taken down. I noticed that the perimeter beading that holds all the glass appears to be bowed. Perhaps this was caused from the weight of the glass ? I am afraid to rehang the glass as is and am thinking that a proper frame of some sort would be better to protect it.

Has anyone wood framed a stain glass window ? I am looking for some suggestions on what to do for framing and not lose too much of the image ?

I really like the glass and wouldn't mind keeping it for a little "bit" longer.

Thanks..

buldogge
06-13-2016, 05:40 PM
Brian...Do you have woodworking tools?

I would just make a simple wood frame, by routering a rabbet to accept the stained glass, and perhaps a little extra depth for some plexi/acrylic is you want extra protection...add glazing points for stops if you want to continue to let light through.

-Mark in St. Louis

35 years ago I was given this custom 14" x 26" stained glass window, as a house warming surprise present. It was done by a glass artist friend of mine who did the cyclist (supposedly me) in club colors of the Scarborough Cycle Club I belonged to, riding a purple bike (my '82 Marinoni), complete with hairnet helmet. I still have the Marinoni... but the hair and hairnet have been misplaced

For the past 35 yrs, the stained glass window has hung in our dining room from two chains attached to the hooks in the lead bead.

Recently, some renovation and painting required the glass to be taken down. I noticed that the perimeter beading that holds all the glass appears to be bowed. Perhaps this was caused from the weight of the glass ? I am afraid to rehang the glass as is and am thinking that a proper frame of some sort would be better to protect it.

Has anyone wood framed a stain glass window ? I am looking for some suggestions on what to do for framing and not lose too much of the image ?

I really like the glass and wouldn't mind keeping it for a little "bit" longer.

Thanks..

cadence90
06-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Yes, either make your own wood frame if you have that ability, or else any good frame shop can make a frame in either wood or zinc.

For 14" x 26", 1.25" - 1.5" wide stock should be structurally sufficient.

https://northernhardwoodframes.com/make-your-own-stained-glass-frames/

Brian Cdn
06-13-2016, 06:35 PM
Mark ..
I'll have to check out some of our local picture frame builders as I don't have any real skill with woodworking or any of the tools.

Cadence ..
Thanks for the link. Great stuff there.

---

As always, PL membership does have it's rewards.

Cheers

cadence90
06-13-2016, 07:02 PM
If you don't find a local framer (I don't know where you live) you can order one from that company. It appears that they do a lot of frames for stained glass, and that a 14" x 26" (40" total) frame would cost ~$50.

https://northernhardwoodframes.com/custom-framing-service/

CampyorBust
06-13-2016, 07:40 PM
You should not have to loose any of the image. Some good options have been presented, certainly worth looking into.

I spent a fair amount of time working as a picture framer, a wonderful craft. Another possible option would be a floater frame...

http://customframedirect.com/shop/floater-frame/

It would look clean, however you would loose the natural ambient illumination from the rear. You could look into wiring some lights behind it, but will you ever actually turn it on?

All things considered I have to say a DIY with chains option sounds pretty nifty. Hey bike chains!;)
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/nudge-nudge-monty-python-500x345_zpspyswn4g9.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/PedalPusher33/media/nudge-nudge-monty-python-500x345_zpspyswn4g9.jpg.html)

Bring an old bike chain to your framer see if they can make it work.

ultraman6970
06-13-2016, 09:20 PM
There is a reason you dont see this things framed all the time.

Brian Cdn
06-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Bring an old bike chain to your framer see if they can make it work.[/QUOTE]

Good idea... a Campy chain, of course !

Tickdoc
06-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Very cool. Would be neat if it were framed in old bike tubes.

josephr
06-14-2016, 08:53 AM
no frame -- usually at arts&crafts events there's some hipster dude who does stained glass -- find one and have him weld some eyelets to the top corners, hang with bike chain attaching the eyelets with quicklinks. :banana:

AJM100
06-14-2016, 09:11 AM
no frame, just hang it in front of the casement window like a shade/shutter - I believe that is what is intended, no?

cadence90
06-14-2016, 04:54 PM
no frame -- usually at arts&crafts events there's some hipster dude who does stained glass -- find one and have him weld some eyelets to the top corners, hang with bike chain attaching the eyelets with quicklinks. :banana:no frame, just hang it in front of the casement window like a shade/shutter - I believe that is what is intended, no?

The op already did that, if you read his first post. The lead edges are warping as a result; the panel needs some structural support.

SpokeValley
06-14-2016, 05:14 PM
What a cool gift that is!

Good luck and keep us posted.

The bike chain hanger is a great idea.

I'm wondering if there's one of those guys that gets used chains from the shops and welds the links together to make various 'sculptures'. Might be able to make a pretty sturdy frame. Don't know, though. I'm sure there's more to it.

alexstar
06-14-2016, 07:17 PM
Cool to see some other framers here. It's a very rewarding craft. Keep in mind that pieces like this are rarely square to begin with, so the frame will take some hand work. Building a frame for this should be fairly straightforward, though. Good luck :beer: