PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Garmin Edge 25?

dbh
06-13-2016, 01:03 PM
I had an Edge 500 but the USB port corroded a number of years ago, and I've been GPS-less since then. Thinking about taking the plunge and getting a new computer. I don't train with power, so don't really need another 500 and the mapping feature isn't necessary for me. Almost a toss up between the 200 (which can be had for cheap these days) and the 25. I'm attracted to the 25 because of its wireless connectivity to my smartphone as well as the fact that I can use a cadence/speed sensor -- two features the 200 doesn't have. I also don't mind the new charging system, as the flimsy rubber cover on my 500 is what ultimately led to the corroded USB port. Granted the 200 is half the price.

Curious what folks who have a 25 think? Worth the extra $ when compared to a 200?

LegendRider
06-13-2016, 01:20 PM
My Garmin 200 is extremely frustrating. It takes a long time to pick up satellites. Drops the signal frequently. Hopeless in the woods when mountain biking. Without a speed sensor, the reading on the screen lags significantly the actual speed that I'm going.

MaraudingWalrus
06-13-2016, 01:27 PM
I don't know the pricing offhand, but I've been very happy with the Lezyne computers we've sold.

I have a SuperGPS which is their top end model with ANT+. The mini gps is awesome, but doesn't use any sensors. and the power gps is between the two and adds bluetooth capabilities.

Ralph
06-13-2016, 01:57 PM
I have a Garmin Edge 20 (which I really like for my use), and a friend of mine recently bought a Edge 25......and returned it. He thought the extra features over the 20 gave it a too short battery life. I can usually get 2 30-40 mile rides without charging on my Edge 20.....he could not on the edge 25.....blue toothing to his phone, turning his tail light off and on, etc.

I will say my Edge 20 picks up satellites very quickly with the Glosnoss satellites turned on. Turn them off for longer battery life, and sometimes it takes it's time connecting. Most of my friends with Edge 200's think the 20 is a upgrade from the 200. And most think the edge 25 is adequate for most needs....if it had a longer battery life. And that is just a report from one friend.

FlashUNC
06-13-2016, 02:11 PM
I've been very happy with mine. Works on 26 bars as well as 31.8.

The bluetooth connectivity is nice and can be handy, but isn't necessary really by any stretch. The signal seems to be strong and I don't notice many gaps or jumps in data, even on fairly shaded and wooded rides.

I haven't connected it much to speed sensors or cadence or any of the other stuff, so battery life for me has been fine. I can usually get 2 40-ish mile rides out of the thing before it needs a recharge. I'd only be worried about battery life if I were going on some longer 100+ mile rides.

Its not as customizable as some of the other Garmin options out there, but the tradeoff is the size and functionality you get in that small package.

I'm a fan.

Ralph
06-13-2016, 02:42 PM
I've been very happy with mine. Works on 26 bars as well as 31.8.

The bluetooth connectivity is nice and can be handy, but isn't necessary really by any stretch. The signal seems to be strong and I don't notice many gaps or jumps in data, even on fairly shaded and wooded rides.

I haven't connected it much to speed sensors or cadence or any of the other stuff, so battery life for me has been fine. I can usually get 2 40-ish mile rides out of the thing before it needs a recharge. I'd only be worried about battery life if I were going on some longer 100+ mile rides.

Its not as customizable as some of the other Garmin options out there, but the tradeoff is the size and functionality you get in that small package.

I'm a fan.

You are probably correct. If you don't do things that run the battery down, then battery life should be adequate. And...we're capable of charging it after a longer ride. My wife has a Edge 500 that does a lot more, but I like mine better. The numbers are larger.