PDA

View Full Version : Very close call yesterday

smontanaro
06-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Prompted by @veloo's realtor sign encounter, I have my own close call to report from yesterday's ride.

I was riding in a mostly residential area with no sidewalks, grass running right up to the pavement, and rural mailboxes out by the road. Somebody had planted one of those orange steel rods used to mark fire hydrants during snow season, either as a marker for his driveway or his mailbox. I was moving in and out of shade, it was in shade and I was wearing shades, so completely missed the fact that it was leaning over \ into the roadway. I caught it with my right fork blade, and through some miracle it didn't go through my wheel, but turned to point forward, between the wheel and the fork blade. I, of course, completely froze. I didn't apply my brakes, nothing. I don't know where it was located in relationship to my brakes. In retrospect, braking might have been just as bad as not braking. After a moment (quarter second? two seconds? felt like an eternity), I guess a spoke caught the pole and shot it out in front of the bike. In a split second I went from being a knight charging along holding his jousting spear to Lloyd Bridges just having shot his spear gun at a bad guy. It clattered around relatively harmlessly on the pavement in front of me, and I managed to steer around it.

It was only a few seconds later that I realized, "Oh crap, that would have been the end(o) of me if it had crossed my front wheel."

Mzilliox
06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
geez, really glad you are ok. ride safe out there!

Tickdoc
06-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Whew! It's just a slit second that separates us from disaster sometimes. Glad you are ok.

christian
06-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Always better to be lucky than good!

PaulE
06-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Could have been worse in so many ways. When I was a kid a friend got a branch in his front wheel spokes. The wheel brought the branch around to the back of his fork perpendicular to the blades where it stopped and broke most of the spokes in his wheel. Messed up his bike good but luckily he wasn't hurt. I've been cautious about sticks in the road ever since!