PDA

View Full Version : double standard: jan and vino @ tour?

Climb01742
06-28-2006, 05:28 AM
so it seems the tour is cool with jan riding:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun28news

spanish info is "too vague" to disinvite. yet they asked wurth and vino not to come...based on same published info. sounds like a double standard to me.

Fat Robert
06-28-2006, 05:35 AM
i disagree

saiz was busted with the briefcase, some wurth riders had their real names on the dr.'s records. the evidence is more direct and clear.

ulrich is suggested -- ASO doesn't have anything that would stand up in the CAS, unlike with Wurth.

did you notice the ASO statement said ulrich is fine for the tour "for now?" that might suggest "we think he's in on it too, but we can't prove it yet..." what would happen if the proof came out of spain in, say, the third week with jan in yellow?

Ray
06-28-2006, 06:09 AM
i disagree

saiz was busted with the briefcase, some wurth riders had their real names on the dr.'s records. the evidence is more direct and clear.

ulrich is suggested -- ASO doesn't have anything that would stand up in the CAS, unlike with Wurth.

did you notice the ASO statement said ulrich is fine for the tour "for now?" that might suggest "we think he's in on it too, but we can't prove it yet..." what would happen if the proof came out of spain in, say, the third week with jan in yellow?
Being in pink on the pentultimate day of the Giro didn't help Marco any. Yeah, it was a fresh charge, but more proof on this one should have the same effect...

-Ray

BumbleBeeDave
06-28-2006, 06:52 AM
. . . Saiz was pretty much busted red-handed with his fat hand in the cookie jar. The evidence against all the riders on "The List" is at this point way short of enough to throw them all out. "JAN" on a couple of bags of blood could conceivably just be rider's initials--or other client's initials. A spanish nickname on the list also doesn't seem to me to meet a concrete standard of proof.

Tour organizers are walking a very fine line. If they throw a heavy favorite out of the race based on little evidence and it turns out they were wrong, they could have a huge lawsuit from T-Mobile on their hands. A huge sponsor company that has spent literally milions of Euros to get into the Tour and get the media exposure, excluded unjustifiably? I think they'd have a pretty good case. I'd hate to be the Tour folks right now. They're gonna be popping tranquilizers like Tic-Tacs for the whole Tour . . .

BBD