PDA

View Full Version : 11 speed chains....CN6800 vs HG700 vs HG701 vs HG600.....

loimpact
06-12-2016, 10:46 PM
I had asked this question about a year ago on BF and all I got were shoulder shrugs.

That was about the time the CN6800 gave way to the HG700 (from non-directional to directional?) and we were all kinda scratchingour heads a bit. :confused:

Well.......since then, they've now added the HG701 and that appears to be what most folk are selling exclusively. Of course, the addition of the 105/5800 grade HG600 may be the cheapest answer but I'll spend a few extra bucks for better shifting if it matters.

Can anybody shed some definitive light on the 11 speed chain situation?? (Awaiting the day 11 spd chains drop to $10 like the other old crap) :rolleyes:

TIA

eBAUMANN
06-12-2016, 11:10 PM
https://www.merlincycles.com/kmc-x11el-silver-11-speed-chain-57840.html

Better than all the above for the same $, 10g lighter as well ;)

Comes with a quick link too, so you don't have to buy one to replace the dumb lil push-pin.

loimpact
06-12-2016, 11:34 PM
And the KMC gauntlet's been throw down! :D

Actually, that could be a worthwhile try. I can get the 701 for $25 but after buying another quicklink (I have a few SRAMs on hand but they weren't free) that's probably right there at the $29 price anyway.

Better huh? hmmmmm..... ;)

Lanternrouge
06-13-2016, 12:37 AM
https://www.merlincycles.com/kmc-x11el-silver-11-speed-chain-57840.html

Better than all the above for the same $, 10g lighter as well ;)

Comes with a quick link too, so you don't have to buy one to replace the dumb lil push-pin.

That's not even the cheapest KMC option either. I agree with KMC's being great options and have heard that KMC makes the Shimano chains, though my source could have been wrong. Even if more expensive than Shimano by a little, it's totally worth the few extra bucks to have the quick link as opposed to the pin, at least ATMO.

Russian bear
06-13-2016, 01:29 AM
When I ran KMC chains I would get extra noise and shifting degradation after about 3000 miles. IME ultegra/chorus lasts much longer. Currently on 5000 miles and chain checker says not even .5 stretched and shifting is just as good as when new.

I'm running campy.

oldpotatoe
06-13-2016, 05:20 AM
I had asked this question about a year ago on BF and all I got were shoulder shrugs.

That was about the time the CN6800 gave way to the HG700 (from non-directional to directional?) and we were all kinda scratchingour heads a bit. :confused:

Well.......since then, they've now added the HG701 and that appears to be what most folk are selling exclusively. Of course, the addition of the 105/5800 grade HG600 may be the cheapest answer but I'll spend a few extra bucks for better shifting if it matters.

Can anybody shed some definitive light on the 11 speed chain situation?? (Awaiting the day 11 spd chains drop to $10 like the other old crap) :rolleyes:

TIA

It doesn't matter

Least expensive compatible chain and cogset..consumables. Spending a bunch more for higher end stuff doesn't work any better or last any longer.

The 5800 chain is a great chain. Hook together first time with the supplied pin, take off to clean, reassemble with KMC snap link..measure often, replace before it kills cogset.

kramnnim
06-13-2016, 06:03 AM
When I ran KMC chains I would get extra noise and shifting degradation after about 3000 miles. IME ultegra/chorus lasts much longer. Currently on 5000 miles and chain checker says not even .5 stretched and shifting is just as good as when new.

I'm running campy.

I tried two KMC chains, and both made noise when used with Campy sprockets. Fine with Shimano. :confused:

Then one broke and I haven't been eager to use them again.

Gummee
06-13-2016, 07:28 AM
My experience has been Shimano chains work better, last longer, and run quieter than pretty much anything else out there.

...especially when paired with Shimano cogs.

I typically don't run anything past Ultegra for chains/cassettes. Too spendy for minimal weight savings.

edited to add: the X01 chains from Shimano are e-bike rated. Should be stronger than the X00 series, which were designed for mtn bikes, but Shimano liked the way they ran on the road, so they switched over for the road too.

M

loimpact
06-13-2016, 08:35 AM
Gummee,

Thanks for the feedback about 00 vs 01!!!

I was curious as to what had happened there.

Simultaneously using 2 road bikes at the moment, I may test KMC vs Shimano on new for new and see what I think.

(shrug)