PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable build for Merckx Corsa Extra

rohan
06-12-2016, 10:40 PM
I am building up a Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra this week, and I am curious to know what would be considered an acceptable build. I am trying to do the best with what I have.

Have
-Campagnolo Athena 11-speed alloy groupset in silver with carbon shifters
-Silver Mavic Aksium Race wheelset with 25mm Continental Gatorskin Hardshell tires
-90mm Nitto Dynamic stem
-40cm ITM Handlebars
-Black Avocet O2 Air 40 saddle
-Black Velox bar plugs
-King stainless steel water bottle cages

Need to buy
-Silver seatpost (Would a Ritchey Classic be a faux pas? That would be easy to get and the least expensive, though I could also order a Nitto S83.)
-Bar tape
-Cables and housing

Considering buying
-Silver Soma Highway One handlebars
-Turbo saddle

FlashUNC
06-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Whatever gets you out riding man.

christian
06-12-2016, 11:04 PM
You should build it with bike parts. Seriously, it's a bicycle. I even have one with SRAM.

weisan
06-12-2016, 11:24 PM
If you miss this part, it will render the entire build completely unacceptable!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0118/9802/products/BELL_1765_2_RAW_FrontThumb_f685d5bf-15d4-4b19-9b9f-31f3765af004_1024x1024.png?v=1461005082

Elefantino
06-13-2016, 12:09 AM
I can't imagine what my response would be to someone who said, in person (and not on the interweb, were snarkiness is easy), "You should have built that bike up with X instead" or "You should never put X on that bike."

Enjoy it with what makes you happy!

R3awak3n
06-13-2016, 12:15 AM
what you have already sounds good to me.

Only thing I would change would be the tires but ride what you got :)

You should post pics when you done, sounds like its going to be a great build on a great frame

lhuerta
06-13-2016, 04:02 AM
25mm Continental Gatorskin Hardshell tires

UNACCEPTABLE ....why ruin the ride of ur beautiful new Merckx with the equivalent of frozen water hoses strapped to ur rims, might as well install non-pneumatic tricycle tires.

Seriously, get some Vitt Corsa or Pave in 25c or some Veloflex and FEEL the ride

oldpotatoe
06-13-2016, 05:17 AM
You should build it with bike parts. Seriously, it's a bicycle. I even have one with SRAM.

Geeezzzz, I wouldn't go that far:eek:

But the heart of the bike is the frame/fork..build it to ride it. Build so it works everyday..nothing more. Remember the object of the bike ride is the ride.

daker13
06-13-2016, 06:04 AM
In my opinion, the silver group is a nice nod to tradition, but don't waste too much time headaching seat posts, handlebars, etc... If you find a perfectly serviceable handlebar bugs you because of its aesthetics, you can always switch it out later.

CampyorBust
06-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Sounds like a great build. If you are looking for potential areas where to improve upon in the future I too would say the tires and wheels.

I have a Corsa Extra with Chorus 11 and very noodely wheels. Honestly they kinda ruin everything, they are nice and light but offer nothing in the way of stiffness. The Aksiums you have on there are probably the opposite stiffer but also heavier. I feel I can’t get a feel for the bike properly with noodle wheels, quality wheels are just as (if not more) important as a quality frame me thinks. Tires - ride them with the garden hose tires and then try some quality tires as mentioned before. I am really digging the 4000sii lately, though I flatted on my first two rides.:confused:

rohan
06-13-2016, 08:00 AM
UNACCEPTABLE ....why ruin the ride of ur beautiful new Merckx with the equivalent of frozen water hoses strapped to ur rims, might as well install non-pneumatic tricycle tires.

Seriously, get some Vitt Corsa or Pave in 25c or some Veloflex and FEEL the ride

This is helpful! The tires were free... but I know there are much better options. If there are no issues with the build, I'll look into Vittoria and Veloflex. Gum wall, I imagine?

rohan
06-13-2016, 08:03 AM
If you miss this part, it will render the entire build completely unacceptable!

That is one expensive bell! http://www.spurcycle.com/products/better-bicycle-bell

AngryScientist
06-13-2016, 08:04 AM
i see you're in rochester. the most important thing i'd worry about is getting the gearing range you're comfortable with so you can ride it anywhere you want to. having just been up your way and riding some of the bigger finger lakes area hills, i know i was glad to have my compact and low gear range.

weisan
06-13-2016, 08:06 AM
That is one expensive bell! http://www.spurcycle.com/products/better-bicycle-bell

Yeah, I know...got to pay for ideation, product development, local manufacturing....but there are "poorer" alternatives on eBay I got one on my Serotta.:D

rohan
06-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Sounds like a great build. If you are looking for potential areas where to improve upon in the future I too would say the tires and wheels.

I have a Corsa Extra with Chorus 11 and very noodely wheels. Honestly they kinda ruin everything, they are nice and light but offer nothing in the way of stiffness. The Aksiums you have on there are probably the opposite stiffer but also heavier. I feel I can’t get a feel for the bike properly with noodle wheels, quality wheels are just as (if not more) important as a quality frame me thinks. Tires - ride them with the garden hose tires and then try some quality tires as mentioned before. I am really digging the 4000sii lately, though I flatted on my first two rides.:confused:

My main issue with the Aksiums is that there is nothing classic about the look. If the bike is the right fit for me, I'll save up for better and better-looking wheels.

cadence90
06-13-2016, 08:09 AM

The "Oi" bike bell by Knog looks very interesting.

rohan
06-13-2016, 08:16 AM
i see you're in rochester. the most important thing i'd worry about is getting the gearing range you're comfortable with so you can ride it anywhere you want to. having just been up your way and riding some of the bigger finger lakes area hills, i know i was glad to have my compact and low gear range.

Yes! The bike has an 11-23, which I will promptly switch out to 12-29 and then start training to climb Bopple Hill.