PDA

View Full Version : Shimano

pdxmech13
06-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I have been put in a lucky position to work for a business
that has some amazing feed back for the industry.
Since working for this establishment I have met some cool
cats and today I had the pleasure to meet in the flesh the
woman to design the DA 7800 crank assembly.
She was to say the least extremly modest as with most in
her profession and very interested as all shimano enginers
are of your opionion.

Three years ago I had a similar oppurtunity to meet the man
behind the DA 7700 group and even rode with him on the
road and mtb. Shimano had a special kit made specifically for
him with cool little gold accents on all the bolts and fasteners.

They are such a cool company and I am always amazed at how
interested they are in what you think.

SoCalSteve
06-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I have been put in a lucky position to work for a business
that has some amazing feed back for the industry.
Since working for this establishment I have met some cool
cats and today I had the pleasure to meet in the flesh the
woman to design the DA 7800 crank assembly.
She was to say the least extremly modest as with most in
her profession and very interested as all shimano enginers
are of your opionion.

Three years ago I had a similar oppurtunity to meet the man
behind the DA 7700 group and even rode with him on the
road and mtb. Shimano had a special kit made specifically for
him with cool little gold accents on all the bolts and fasteners.

They are such a cool company and I am always amazed at how
interested they are in what you think.

Over the years I've had the pleasure of calling their 800 customer service line. Every call has been a pleasure. The people friendly, enthusiastic and very happy and willing to discuss cycling, their product and whatever else comes to mind. They have been more than happy to replace a few broken bolts, replace a part or two that was not in the packaging for whatever reason and did so without an ounce of attitude.

Every package that has come from them has included either a sticker a bottle of their latest cable grease or some such trinket.

Yes, I too agree that they are a great company. I truly think the best part is that they are about an hours drive from me Orange County, CA). I actually went there once to replace an Ultegra lever that I screwed up. They were more than happy to take back the messed up one and give me a brand new one, while I waited.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how I dropped off a left triple D/A shifter at my LBS and a week later, it had been replaced with a brand new one (and only a $5.00 shipping charge). Oh yeah, it was out of warranty and bought on ebay.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

pdxmech13
06-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I thought it would be neat to share my experiences
Also my boss is licensed as a sub contractor for them.
Coolest thing that I have seen was a High polished
XTR rear mech that was given to him as a gift.
Im talking samuri sword polish.

Johny
06-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention how I dropped off a left triple D/A shifter at my LBS and a week later, it had been replaced with a brand new one (and only a $5.00 shipping charge). Oh yeah, it was out of warranty and bought on ebay.

No wonder we have to pay $500 for a pair of shifters...

SoCalSteve
06-27-2006, 11:14 PM
No wonder we have to pay $500 for a pair of shifters...

I'm so sorry that YOU have to pay that much. I've never even come close to paying THAT kind of money for anything Shimano.

If you go back and look at some of my older postings, I talk about a connection I have for getting Shimano gear at a great price. You are more than welcome to this information and then you will not have to pay $500.00 for a pair of shifters either.

Good luck to you,

Steve

alancw3
06-28-2006, 03:39 AM
i think that shimano and campy most both have great engineering departments for they both are responsible for the development of some great bike components. that being said, what else can separate them? i.e. it's all about customer service. it seems shimano must have their act together in that arena also.

stevep
06-28-2006, 06:57 AM
2 comments.
the older shimano brother, keijo, who dies some years ago, was the overseeing engineer on their products. on his table in his office he had only about a half dozen shimano manufactured products. i forget which they were now....but they were his unsuccessful projects. the reminder of his misses and products that failed to catch on. interesting to me... one was shimano ax i remember...aero before its time.

also extremely interesting for those who get a chance is to meet and speak with the actual engineers who design these or other bike products... it is intriguing to hear the details and the general thought that goes into even the most simple part... every blockhead shop guy starts with..." those idiots, they should never have done this or that... "
after actually speaking to a real engineer for the project they usually come back with.." oh, really, yeah, i see that now..."