PDA

View Full Version : Favorite roads and food in Warwick/Northfield MA area?

leftyfreak
06-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Ti Designs and I are thinking of scooting out Route 2 from Bedford later this week for a little adventure. I'm trying to limit driving time to about an hour from Bedford, which puts us around Orange or Athol for a starting point. Looking at the map, I'm thinking of a loop into Warwick and over to Northfield, then maybe down to Montague and lunch at the Book Mill, then back to Orange via Wendell. I haven't mapped anything out yet, but we should have time for a loop in the 60-80 mile range.

Does anyone have suggestions for favorite roads in that general vicinity? Climbs are fine. What's Northfield Mountain like? Places to stop along the way would be helpful too, since no ride is complete without baked goods. I've seen pictures of a general store in Warwick, but no info comes up in a google search. I'm assuming there will be options in Northfield.

I've been given good route advice from the intrepid Paceline members before, so let me know what you've got this time! Thanks!

OtayBW
06-12-2016, 12:51 PM
I used to do this ride when I lived in MA: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/771465. Start at the Book Mill and take a break at Shelburne Falls for lunch/snack. Dinner and a beer back at the Book Mill. Nice ride, little traveled, climbing not bad (oh yeah - except for that little bit up Sugerloaf Mtn. there near the end).

leftyfreak
06-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I used to do this ride when I lived in MA: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/771465. Start at the Book Mill and take a break at Shelburne Falls for lunch/snack. Dinner and a beer back at the Book Mill. Nice ride, little traveled, climbing not bad (oh yeah - except for that little bit up Sugerloaf Mtn. there near the end).

Thanks for the suggestion! I've ridden a large portion of that route before, and I'm definitely interested in taking Ti Designs on Zerah Fiske and across Bardwell's Ferry bridge. My concern for this particular ride is that starting at the Book Mill will add extra driving each way compared to Orange, and we may not have that time. Besides, I've never ridden the area around Warwick and Northfield. Do you have any experience around there?

nighthawk
06-12-2016, 06:40 PM
This has some of my favorite roads in the Northfield/Warwick area:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2382343
*NOTE: Route is "backwards" in ridewithgps... I actually prefer to ride those roads in the opposite direction as listed on the cue sheet*

That route was from my old house in Leverett, and could easily be adaptable to start/stop at the Bookmill, which I think is a great idea. I'm not sure about a Warwick general store... but Northfield has a few small stores and a (crucial) ice cream stand.

Reach out to Richard Sachs, he used to live in Warwick and may be able to offer some good advice.

leftyfreak
06-12-2016, 07:01 PM
This has some of my favorite roads in the Northfield/Warwick area:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/2382343
*NOTE: Route is "backwards" in ridewithgps... I actually prefer to ride those roads in the opposite direction as listed on the cue sheet*

That route was from my old house in Leverett, and could easily be adaptable to start/stop at the Bookmill, which I think is a great idea. I'm not sure about a Warwick general store... but Northfield has a few small stores and a (crucial) ice cream stand.

Reach out to Richard Sachs, he used to live in Warwick and may be able to offer some good advice.

Thanks for that route. Much of it is similar to what I have laid out here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14391249

I noticed that you avoided the downtown of Millers Falls--is it worth a look-see or should we just go around it like in your route?

Has anyone ever ridden Bliss Hill Road, which is mostly in Royalston? It's got a great name, seems to be dirt, and looks pretty steep. What could go wrong?

buddybikes
06-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Roads coming down from Brattleboro through Gill are beautiful. On Rt 2, but great lunches, WagonWheel. Fun climb no cars, go up to the lake on top of Northfield mountain.

leftyfreak
06-12-2016, 07:40 PM
Roads coming down from Brattleboro through Gill are beautiful. On Rt 2, but great lunches, WagonWheel. Fun climb no cars, go up to the lake on top of Northfield mountain.

Yep, the Northfield Mountain climb is on the route I posted above!

e-RICHIE
06-12-2016, 07:57 PM
I still live in Warwick. Send a PM with your email address, lmk how many hours you want to pedal, what landmarks are on your bucket list, and if you have a place you'd prefer to launch from. I'll give you a good loop or two.

Ti Designs
06-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Nice ride, little traveled, climbing not bad (oh yeah - except for that little bit up Sugerloaf Mtn. there near the end).

The gearing on my Tarmac right now is a 44x56 up front with an 11-21 on back, so I'm all set for the down hill parts...

leftyfreak
06-13-2016, 02:51 PM
I still live in Warwick. Send a PM with your email address, lmk how many hours you want to pedal, what landmarks are on your bucket list, and if you have a place you'd prefer to launch from. I'll give you a good loop or two.

Thanks! I've sent you a PM.

The gearing on my Tarmac right now is a 44x56 up front with an 11-21 on back, so I'm all set for the down hill parts...

I'll have to make sure that all the town line sprints are uphill then...

OtayBW
06-13-2016, 04:31 PM
OK - cancel my previous post.....or re-gear.

leftyfreak
06-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Well, Ti Designs and I ended up having a great day on the bikes on Thursday!

I knew it was going to be a good day even before we started riding. After driving for no more than 15 minutes, we saw one of the big blinking signs on the highway proudly announcing "Loins Club Fair, expect delays." :eek:

The route turned out pretty much as I had hoped. Plenty of climbing, some of it steep, a good amount of dirt to keep things interesting, and miles and miles of scenic roads practically to ourselves.

Some highlights:

Standing outside the Northfield IGA Supermarket (the saddest "supermarket I've ever seen, with a stench of cigarette smoke) when a young woman got out of her car carrying an overturned straw hat filled with fresh picked strawberries. "That's an attractive hat," I said. "You can have some berries if you like," was her reply.

Northfield Mountain was the most bizarre climb I've ever done. We turned onto the mountain road to be met by a very large gate and security installation. I had known that the mountain was owned by the electric company, but I hadn't expected this, since it's a popular recreation area as well. After riding back and forth between the gate and the unoccupied visitor center a few times trying to figure out where to go, Ti Designs was bold enough to press the button on the intercom at the security gate. The kind gentleman who answered informed us that we needed to make our way around the security installation to continue on the mountain road, which involved a bit of an off-road, bumpy, grassy excursion. In the end, the reservoir at the top wasn't exactly photogenic, but there was a viewing platform around the far side that allowed us to see Mt. Snow and Stratton way off in Vermont.

Pine Meadow Road along the Conn. River was gorgeous and provided the most dramatic moment of the ride, a sudden BANG as a rock tore through the sidewall on Ti Designs' front tire. He skillfully brought himself to a stop, and the dollar bill sidewall fix held through the rest of the day.

The crossing of the Conn. river on the bike/ped bridge under the French King bridge was truly idyllic and brought back memories of my wife and I crossing the French King on our honeymoon 16 years ago at the height of the fall foliage splendor.

We added some dirt near the end of the route as a way to get to Wendell Center. e-richie suggested checking out Jennison Road and then taking one of a number of turn-offs--we chose Cooleyville, and it was an excellent choice. Not a car to be found, just a peaceful tunnel through the trees.

I couldn't have asked for a better day, really. Thanks to e-richie for his willingness to check out my planned route and offer alternatives. And thanks especially to my friend Ti Designs who never says no to going on these adventures with me! :banana:

I hardly ever take photos on rides, because I can't be bothered to stop, but I've got a couple. Maybe I'll try to post them--can anyone tell me how to do that? :D

leftyfreak
06-18-2016, 04:30 PM
Mid tire change and the French King bridge from below.

leftyfreak
06-19-2016, 06:52 AM
As you'll see from the previous post, Ti Designs wimped out and brought his Serotta, because it has a much smaller lowest gear than his Tarmac: 42-27. I knew things got steep on the climbs any time he got out of the saddle!

Ti Designs
06-19-2016, 04:42 PM
But I never used the 27...

OtayBW
06-19-2016, 06:03 PM
But I never used the 27...
Uh huh.....:rolleyes:

Ti Designs
06-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Uh huh.....:rolleyes:

You're invited on our next cycling adventure...

OtayBW
06-19-2016, 07:55 PM
You're invited on our next cycling adventure...
Thanks! :D

JLP
06-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Moving to Northfield in August. Looks like there are great places to ride.