PDA

View Full Version : Bike-friendly cities

Red Tornado
06-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Saw this on another cycling website. Like what they're doing in Toronto, and even more interesting is the cycling culture in Groningen, The Netherlands (embedded video about 2/3 of the way down the page).
Interesting read; interesting video.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/features/lees-lowdown-back-to-the-bike/#.V1yme9QrJiw

zzy
06-11-2016, 07:46 PM
I almost died laughing at the "Toronto Pulaski Bridge" - a bridge that is actually between Brooklyn and Queens. It was just opened last month and is a massive improvement. Toronto has always lacked the will to really make bike lanes work where they're needed most. As long as the suburban areas, dominated by drivers, have sway in City Hall I don't see that changing. Growing up as a cyclist in Toronto I learned routes thru the quiet residential areas, which was far better than the awful major roads. Just dropping a line of paint on a busy road does little to change that. Until there's political willpower to create protected bike lanes or better routes thru quieter streets that's not going to change. That new plan is great - let's see them get it thru city hall.

NYC on the other hand has made massive strides in creating effective bike oriented dedicated infrastructure, in spite of massive opposition. Still a long way to go, but the improvements in the last 8 years has been amazing.

R3awak3n
06-11-2016, 08:55 PM
aahhaha Toronto Pulasky Bridge. I guess we were just in Toronto yesterday then :)

cat6
06-12-2016, 01:24 AM
Click bait thread

berserk87
06-12-2016, 06:50 PM
Click bait thread

Not to state the obvious, but this is a discussion forum. Aren't all threads click bait?