PDA

View Full Version : eBay Question (Bike Related)

Peter P.
06-08-2016, 06:12 PM
I sold a rigid fork on March 11th. The listing said No Refunds. Buyer sends me a letter in the mail (vs. using eBay's contact system) TODAY, asking if he can return the fork AND if I'll send him return postage. The fork was as advertised and delivered in good condition.

I'm guessing there's an angle on his part where maybe he thinks he can leave negative feedback on me if I don't give him a refund and pay for return shipping, despite the 2+ months that have passed.

Is the buyer holding some trump card to damage my reputation? Can I just politely decline and walk away?

The eBay web site is almost impossible to navigate to find an answer, nor is it easy to contact them. I bet it's designed that way.

Thanks in advance.

adamhell
06-08-2016, 06:15 PM
has he left feedback already? if two months have passed, it's likely he has left posi-feedback. I don't think you can change it after the fact. If it were me, i would say too bad.

Dead Man
06-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Yea.. I'd tell him to f-off with all that.

I sold a King headset I won at a race and picked up in person at King in Portland.. The top rim of the top race had some minor blem in the anodize, but it wasn't visible when installed (hidden under spacers or top cap, whichever) but I clearly described and included pictures of the anodize weirdness and said even though it came straight from the factory as new, I was selling it as a blem

Dude bought it. About a week later, he sends me a note and says "yea, I think this is a blem. I'm gonna need a refund." I tell him I advertised it as such, and he bought it knowing it was such... No refunds. He said "ok, if that's how you want to play it" and left me negative feedback and filed a claim against me. PayPal tries to freeze my funds, but I'd already spent em. BUT I couldn't use PayPal until the dispute was resolved... Over a month later, eBay sided with me.

But then... After all that BS... eBay wouldn't let me leave him negative feedback. :mad:

jtakeda
06-08-2016, 06:37 PM
I'd pretend I never got the letter

zzy
06-08-2016, 06:39 PM
It will probably be a big headache. If the buyer claims the item is not as described, he can initiate a refund via Paypal. No matter how right you are, Paypal will side with the buyer unless you appeal the decision several times. It's a real headache that I've been thru twice. Just compromise and have him send it back and pay for the shipping himself. Otherwise get ready to waste a bunch of time and have the funds frozen.

Frankwurst
06-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Yea.. I'd tell him to f-off with all that.

I sold a King headset I won at a race and picked up in person at King in Portland.. The top rim of the top race had some minor blem in the anodize, but it wasn't visible when installed (hidden under spacers or top cap, whichever) but I clearly described and included pictures of the anodize weirdness and said even though it came straight from the factory as new, I was selling it as a blem

Dude bought it. About a week later, he sends me a note and says "yea, I think this is a blem. I'm gonna need a refund." I tell him I advertised it as such, and he bought it knowing it was such... No refunds. He said "ok, if that's how you want to play it" and left me negative feedback and filed a claim against me. PayPal tries to freeze my funds, but I'd already spent em. BUT I couldn't use PayPal until the dispute was resolved... Over a month later, eBay sided with me.

But then... After all that BS... eBay wouldn't let me leave him negative feedback. :mad:

Classic example of why I don't like eBay. To many jackaloons to deal with. To PeterP: Tell him to get bent and don't worry about the feedback.:beer:

Frankwurst
06-08-2016, 06:45 PM
It will probably be a big headache. If the buyer claims the item is not as described, he can initiate a refund via Paypal. No matter how right you are, Paypal will side with the buyer unless you appeal the decision several times. It's a real headache that I've been thru twice. Just compromise and have him send it back and pay for the shipping himself. Otherwise get ready to waste a bunch of time and have the funds frozen.

True but sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe is right and deal with the B.S. :beer:

biker72
06-08-2016, 07:05 PM
Short answer:
No returns.

daker13
06-08-2016, 07:07 PM
When you say 'mail,' do you mean regular email? or mail mail? At any rate, there's no way he should be able to return an item from almost three months ago that was sold with no returns--that is just ridiculous. It's true that eBay is ridiculously slanted towards buyers these days, and it's often best to just refund the money and forget about it, but NOT for an auction from that long ago. If you tell him you'll take it back, don't be surprised if it comes back to you damaged--it just sounds fishy (not sure why he wouldn't use ebay's messaging system, for example).

I believe he has 90 days to leave you feedback, so I say, ignore or stonewall him, because you're pretty close to 90 days since the auction ended.

hokoman
06-08-2016, 07:13 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/man-trapped-30-000-lawsuit-154206567.html

This article that has been on various websites the last couple of days freaked me out. Makes you reconsider selling!

Don49
06-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Don't do anything outside of eBay. Message the buyer through eBay and tell him to make his request through eBay's "Resolution Center", that way all communication is on the record. Then wait to see what he does and what eBay's response is.

eBay say's this about returns:

Even if a seller's return policy says that they don't accept returns, you can still open a return request. Here are your options:

If your item is damaged, or doesn't match the listing description, you're covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.
If you've just changed your mind or made a mistake, you can still request a return, but please be aware that the seller isn't obliged to accept your return. (emphasis mine)

oldpotatoe
06-09-2016, 06:29 AM
I sold a rigid fork on March 11th. The listing said No Refunds. Buyer sends me a letter in the mail (vs. using eBay's contact system) TODAY, asking if he can return the fork AND if I'll send him return postage. The fork was as advertised and delivered in good condition.

I'm guessing there's an angle on his part where maybe he thinks he can leave negative feedback on me if I don't give him a refund and pay for return shipping, despite the 2+ months that have passed.

Is the buyer holding some trump card to damage my reputation? Can I just politely decline and walk away?

The eBay web site is almost impossible to navigate to find an answer, nor is it easy to contact them. I bet it's designed that way.

Thanks in advance.

2 months, no telling what has happened to that fork in 2 months. I'd say tell him no, particularly including return postage, and maybe suck up a negative feedback, which you can comment on. Even the big boy eBay stores get a few of these, not a big deal. I sold a used BB, in 9/10 shape to a guy in Taiwan, mentioned it was used 3 times, he gave me negative feedback, 'bottom bracket not new'.....oh well. Keep the $.

Cicli
06-09-2016, 06:34 AM
"Not as described" should be brought up immediately.
Even after a few days, too late. There should be no returns after a few months. Unfortunately it may turn into a sh!+ show between eBay/paypal and you. Sellers dont win.

tumbler
06-09-2016, 08:01 AM
The fact that he contacted you through the mail rather than eBay suggests that he is either an idiot or something fishy is up. I would toss the letter in the trash and ignore him. If he eventually files a dispute with eBay, you will have stretched out the time period a little longer, helping your case.

pstevens
06-09-2016, 09:11 AM
I used to sell vinyl on ebay, probably 10 years ago now. I put up a rare 12" for sale and included full description and photo's. Somebody bought it and I post it off to them. Few days later I get a message from him that it's not the version he wanted. I had a copy of the version that he wanted so called him up on the number from Paypal to discuss the situation. He sounded drunk and I immediately regretted the call. Starts yelling at me that I was out of order etc. I told him i'd exchange the record for the version he wanted and hung up. Next day posted the record to him and thought no more of it. A few days later the original record turns up in the post with no packing, just a torn sleeve with the record 'open to the elements'. I wrote it off as some sort of a-hole. Then he left me negative feedback telling people to stay away and i'd called him yelling abuse. Never looked at ebay again. Too many shi**y people out there for me. Prepare for issues if you use ebay.

campy man
06-09-2016, 09:56 AM
This
Don't do anything outside of eBay.

this
I'd pretend I never got the letter

and finally, this
Short answer:
No returns.

Good luck!

CampyorBust
06-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Send him a link to this youtube video....

https://youtu.be/rxTbdj2c61c